News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

Last Post Wins - V3

Started by Toledo Jim, March 17, 2013, 12:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malfruen

I've always been more comfortable in uphill turns then downhill. I think it's the feeling of being driven into the saddle that sort of gets my confidence up. Going downhill, everything feels lighter, so I think to myself "Where the f%$k has all the grip gone?!" and feel the need to slow down.

Strange as it is, I feel more confident doing corners in general at a higher RPM. I feel like I can turn the bike in harder when the engine is spinning at 8K rather than at 4K. Maybe it's just knowing I have the breakout power and shaZam! if I need it.

I'll bet it's all f%$king psychological.

peteGS

EJ... yes them there stacks are what I have coming!!  :icon_mrgreen: Except I need some filtering...

Janxy... sorry I thought you were being sarcastic! Hahaha... if you get better lines down hill then good onya mate! I'm now just somewhat comfortable with it, I still generally prefer the uphill twists but I don't have the pucker moments downhill I used to have...

Malf, yep, I know what you're saying, and agree 100% on the RPM deal as well. For me it's a matter of what power I have on the 450 is around 6K RPM and up, therefore I want to be right there when going in to the apex of the corner and coming out of it...
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Electrojake

Here ya go. . .
A video I found from 2011 of a car my Son used to off-road.
One of the few videos I ever posted that wasn't a rant.  :thumb:

http://youtu.be/qX24bAyonA0

Current Stable: Suzuki DL1000k6, a Grom, two 70's vintage PUCH mopeds, and my kid's WR250R

Electrojake

Quote from: peteGS on March 26, 2015, 12:34:44 PM
EJ... yes them there stacks are what I have coming!!  :icon_mrgreen: Except I need some filtering...

We want pics of stacks with filters!

Sponge bonnets? or dust bags?  :D
Current Stable: Suzuki DL1000k6, a Grom, two 70's vintage PUCH mopeds, and my kid's WR250R

Janx101

Pete, it does help on my local mountain twisties (Macquarie Pass) that I've been up and down it in trucks, bus, vans, cars, towing trailers and caravans and most recently my bike for 25+ years and hundreds if not low thousand times!..  the nighttime thing too, less traffic but what there is present,  you can see coming before they hit the blindside of corner ahead....  headlight beams! ..
And I have been gamer on the down hill since the Sonics went in the front! And katana in the back!... No bottoming out!

I don't woosy out on the uphills,  just not as smooth (well smooth for me anyway)

I can still beat the mate on his gix 1k up there!, by 2 mins! Lol. .. he is a dragstrip man not a twister! Plus I have the corner maneuverability on his fatass gix! Bahaha

peteGS

Ej that is pure gold!!! Hahaha... love the shorty offroad lifted beast! Pity it's not finished and no video of it in offroad action...

Unifilter are releasing rally pods next month that should fit the stacks I have ordered, so they will be going over the top... like this except a larger diameter:

http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/p1650.html

Janx, got ya! Makes perfect sense now  :thumb:

Night riding I'm fine with except out on the fun twisties... the wildlife can get a bit scary with wallabies and so forth jumping out in front of you...
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Electrojake

Quote from: peteGS on March 27, 2015, 03:01:27 PM
Ej that is pure gold!!! Hahaha... love the shorty offroad lifted beast! Pity it's not finished and no video of it in offroad action...

Unifilter are releasing rally pods next month that should fit the stacks I have ordered, so they will be going over the top... like this except a larger diameter:

http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/p1650.html

Janx, got ya! Makes perfect sense now  :thumb:

Night riding I'm fine with except out on the fun twisties... the wildlife can get a bit scary with wallabies and so forth jumping out in front of you...
peteGS, a list of items. . .

1.) From our New Jersey Red Neck  "junk pile" We've done hoover crafts, 80 MPH snow mobiles, 45 MPH killer-mopeds, countless off-road buggies, turbo-charged lawn tractors, etc... I just never film the creations before they explode or simply get too old to be used anymore. Wish I had more videos or picks of our creations!

2.) Stop greasing Janx. He'll be fine, (just cause you dont believe he's worth a sh!t in the twistes). <cough-cough>  :icon_rolleyes:  :icon_mrgreen:

3.) The green sponges get stuffed into the velocity stacks???

peteGS

Hahahaha now me thinks EJ wants some drama in LPW!!! Stirring the pot... hahahaha

The green sponges... aren't green sponges  :icon_rolleyes:

They're pod or sock filters... they go on over the top of the velocity stack, the spring is meant to sit on the lip of the stack to keep the filter in shape instead of collapsing with the vacuum as you open the throttle...

The filters are pre-oiled  :thumb:
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Electrojake

Quote from: peteGS on March 28, 2015, 02:22:51 PM
The green sponges... aren't green sponges  :icon_rolleyes:

They're pod or sock filters... they go on over the top of the velocity stack, the spring is meant to sit on the lip of the stack to keep the filter in shape instead of collapsing with the vacuum as you open the throttle.
Got it!
Thanks for explaining.
-Ej-

peteGS

No probs at all Mr EJ, glad to oblige!  :thumb: :D

Should be here any day now... and I'll be so tempted just to whack 'em on but that's not a good idea with a potentially wet week and no filtering at all...
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

jestercinti

WTF Saturn AMC Jeep one night stand bastard child is that?
Bikeless and Broke at the moment...

Electrojake

Quote from: jestercinti on March 29, 2015, 03:43:02 PM
WTF Saturn AMC Jeep one night stand bastard child is that?

Holy alley cat!
Look who stopped in to the LPW thread!  :cheers:  :bowdown:  :thumb:

What you been doing Jester? Update please, update...

Janx101

Jester! .. I hope you have a letter from your mum explaining your recent absence!?  .  Hmmm?

codajastal

I am not interested in anything you have to say
Don't bother talking to me, I will not answer you

Janx101

Cods AND Jester commenting all in same couple days!? ... now there's a thing! :thumb:

peteGS

Wow Jester and Cods!!! Or are they both now being one post wonders and remaining silent again????

While I'm concerned the velocity stack won't fit the right carb due to the location of the frame rail (I measured the left for clearance dammit!!) they are here... just need some filters...

'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Electrojake

Nice!
1950's roadster style!

Malfruen

First ride since my surgery went well, even if it wasn't on the GS...

My cousin has recently gotten herself a riding license. She asked if she could borrow the GS to get some experience on it, she's looking to buy one for herself (offered me 2k for mine, which I declined...)

She asked me to bring the bike to hers. She lives about 3 minutes walk away, so I wasn't concerned about walking home. I got there, and her old mans Honda VFR800 was sitting out the front of the house, running, and waiting for me to show up.

All told, a good day. Shes got good form, she's been riding dirtbikes since she was 4, she needs some more experience in corners and stuff, but it was a fun day out. And probably a good thing I had someone else with me if anything went wrong.

Janx101

You didn't suffer too much cruising the viffer Malf? Lol :thumb:

peteGS

Nice Malf!!! Riding is always good no matter what really... although I'd probably draw the line at a scooter...

And I test fitted the stacks last night, no cutting required except to slot the base so I can clamp them down with hose clamps...

Now to wait (im)patiently for Unifilter to release the filters to fit...
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk