$300 89 GS500?

Started by z315, June 14, 2011, 09:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z315

Found this on CL.
What do you guys think?

This is what the ad said:

Mileage is 29,123.

Currently the bike is running (engine, drivetrain OK), but there is a warp in the front disc brake rotor which makes it not recommended to ride as is - must be towed.

The Kelly Blue Book retail price for this bike is $1,180. I am offering the bike at a deep discount to reflect the need for repairs.

Known Issues:

Disc of front brake is warped
Choke cable seized
Gear shifter teeth worn
Valve cover & cover bolt gaskets are leaky
Missing bolt on exhaust attachment
Left fork seal has slow leak
Needs tune-up, new air filter
Paint peeling & dent on gas tank
Rear seat plastic broken
Front fender has heat damage

There is also a 91 gs500 with a broken handle bar and a damaged tank asking 1200 but provided very little information.

cbrfxr67

Paper?  If it has a title, sounds like fun!  I'd probably still try to get him to go lower.  Nice little project if you are up to it!
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

SecretAgent

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on June 14, 2011, 09:23:06 AM
Paper?  If it has a title, sounds like fun!  I'd probably still try to get him to go lower.  Nice little project if you are up to it!

+1 for title - most important

Doesn't sound too bad for $300, don't gs500 engines go for around $300?

If its not too far, go take a look at it, &/or bring a mechanic/friend to do a overview of the bike? good luck!

z315

I don't think it would be too bad if the parts are easy to find. One of the reason why I want to go back to a gs500 is so I can get some mechanic experience.

If I do get it, hopefully you guys are ok with me asking a lot of questions. Will keep you guys posted!

sveach

If the ONLY reason they say it's not rideable is the warped front disk, take it for a ride anyway, and don't use the front brake. Make sure everything else seems good and well. Pretty much everything listed is easy EXCEPT for the "gear shifter teeth" worn. I'm not sure how much work that is, or what exactly they're referring to. I'm assuming the actual rod that holds the shifter lever. If that's the case...you can figure something out to hold it on there. Maybe drill and tap it. At least it's not the countershaft sprocket teeth! Though you should check that too.
2007 GS500F - 18k miles as of 7/15/2010

The Buddha

Yea gs motors are worth 300 easy, but considering it has 29K and seems to be well abused, the front fender heat warp is a sign it was FWIW ... it may be a motor that runs but how much longer ?
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

z315

The ownere just informed me that the bike was sold. Bummer.

seamax

Too bad. 89 GS Clip-Ons worth $100+ already.

werase643

um.... ah...  good deals don't last long.   

want Iain's money to support my butt in kens shop

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk