News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GI_JO_NATHAN

Wow. I think you should post that in the "Epic Fails" thread..
Jonathan
'04 GS500
Quote from: POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks.
Get with the program!

cbrfxr67

GI, I just wonder how it happened?  Pole?  Fence?  Knee before it was crushed? 

Got my material in yesterday but (of course) started to think of other ways to make it.  Drew out some plans then got an idea to make stacks on a plate that sit on the throttle body.  The velocity stacks are there for a reason, and with the stacks, I wouldn't have to make a 'cover' for the box, to be able to access the screws that hold it on.  Trying to make it as simple as possible.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

knowles

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on August 09, 2012, 10:24:13 AM
Hey knowles,...title & paperwork scares me to go full on BUILD like that.  I have clean paperwork on the GS so I chose to reboot from the 600 instead of do something different & continue dealing with those jacka** carbs. 

Definitely WANT and trying to build something different.  If it works cool, if not, figure out another way to make it work.

And we could weld that thing on in ten minutes.  Sometimes I wish somebody lived close by just to hang, ride, build, bs, with.
Quote from: cbrfxr67 on August 23, 2012, 06:37:12 AM

bomb I don't think it'd be worth the aggravation to try and make it work in another tank.  I guess it's possible but  :mad:

Still waiting for my material so turned to the tank.  I've fixed a few crapped out tanks before but I'm not sure about this one.  REALLY f'd up.  Terrible bondo job from whoever had it previously.  The bondo isn't the hard part, the whole tank is whopped.

No prep, no nothing under this huge glop of bondo/fiberglass resin.  Couple of prys and it popped right out.  How the hell do you get a dent like that anyway??  And I wonder how much gas capacity is lost from it,......(facepalm)

Hey jolly, welcome to the forum!  I like to think I DW like any average guy in his garage, no cnc, no plasma cutter, no high end stuff, just basic tools and figuring out how to make it work.  Thanks for the comment!  Opinions always welcome.

If yo did my wife would be even more mad because after working midnights and going to school during the day i wouldnt see her if a guy lived close to me that had a gs. :cheers:

I would either get a new tank or split that sucker and pound the dent out, maybe you should make one. i get lucky because i can bring my bike to class and work on it with just about any tool you could ever need. :woohoo:.
1989 GS 500EK

cbrfxr67

Hell ya knowles on DW at class!  :thumb:

This is my idea to clear the mounting bolts (pita) and the fraime on each side plus incorporate the 'velocity stacks' into the box.

Bottom half. Need to clean it up but ran out of time. Next will be the actual 'box' across the top with filter on it.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

knowles

too bad there isnt a way to go out the sides and front for Vmax style.
1989 GS 500EK

cbrfxr67

Good idea knowles.  Was thinking something like that with the way the tank has gaps on both sides and the 929 airbox is set up for ram air,....when I redo the panels I want to put some 'scoops' to bring air in. 

I haven't gotten a chance to DW all week and its' aggravating as F.  SOrry rant done.
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Finally got to mess around abit today.  Got the top piece cut out and ran out of time again.

Next will weld it up slowly and then keep going, making the sides. 

And more yeserday,...

Next will be to clean it up more, then locate the right filter and paint it.

Quick tip (from cf) is to score the back side of your sheet of metal and bend it to the shape you need it.  I was going to cut it, then weld it back but saw a guy on cf who is adding to his gas tank and he scored the backside, then hand shaped the sheet metal to how he wanted it.  Much easier.
-buddha

Shepa

Oi mate!
Why not use the external fuel pump, like on F3?
More volume in the tank.
Just a thought.

Sent from my toilet seat using HTC FartPhone
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

cbrfxr67

Leave it to Shep for good ideas.  Considering that, finding the specs for the fuel pump delivery pressure and finding another pump that is the same rating, I think it would work.

Did more work on my box.  Yes that's a gs filter.  Needed something to mount there for reference for the time being.  Figuring out how to bring in the breather tubes now.  I was thinking a 1/2" T, bringing the two hoses from the top of the valve cover together then take the single to the box.
Took out the harness and laid it out to start install.  Pretty straight forward stuff.  Checking the throttle bodies out yesterday, was surprised to see how many vacuum hoses T into each other.  Two off #1, then 2,3,4, all have one that T's out from there.  Also the system that controls the valve in the exhaust has to be mounted somewhere.  Fun fun fun.
-buddha

steezin_and_wheezin

if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

Shepa

I like your box design, but I'm suspecting (wish I was wrong) an air starvation issue I was having with mine.
Especially with only one intake hose (and considering cubic capacity of the engine).

Seems like only first two cylinders will have enough air, the other two will run rich (nevermind the EFI).

Remember that the CBR was designed to run on "static air", hence the huge original airbox, which is now missing.

Is it possible to make two intake ports (possibly simetrical, so that air fills all 4 cylinders equally) and fit K&N lunchbox?

I may be sounding like a partybreaker, but in my case, it was all trial and error, till I got it right (I hope).
And that was just messing with different air-filters.

Keep up the good work, man!
Can't wait to see it run!

Sent from my toilet seat using HTC FartPhone

cbrfxr67

You're probably right as you usually are Shep.  The top of the 929 box is definitely large but inside it has a solenoid with a flap controlling air flow.  It also has two small intake (ram) air tubes on each side.  I'll have to see what happens with this and decide what to do after I get it going.  Glad for your comments and input anytime!

Steez!  Thanks for stopping by!  :icon_mrgreen:

Wednesday went and found some T's to sum up the breather hoses and got those hooked up to my box yesterday.  Messed around with where I'm going to put the battery.  Lots of room under there but I want to be able to get to stuff without taking crap apart.

Been working on locating where the harness is going to go.  Started, stopped, started, stopped.  Concluded I'd start with relocating the battery to under the solo cowl and then take it from there.  I don't want to jam it under the tank and this will give me super easy access to it.  Cut out a small section and fit it.  Going to weld in a cross piece and sit on top of a aluminum cut out. 

Been working on routing electrical all week.  Got the battery set up nicely in the tail section and started bringing the wiring back from there.  Used the undertail/ecu holder from the 929, cut it down and storing alot of the wiring and 'extra' in it.  The ecu fits it perfectly so makes sense to keep it. 

Whole bunch of nothing to report.  In the process of trying to move so going to be spinning cobwebs for awhile.
-buddha

Shepa

Hey dude, any work in progress?

Update on my project bike:

Almost high-sided last week.
Morning rush to work, cold tires, cold road, a little bit more throttle than needed, and the rear slid to the right, bike landing to the left, and I landed on my back.  :icon_mrgreen:

50 meters from my home.

Result: snapped clutch lever, grinded magneto cover (no oil leak), bent shift lever... and that's about it.
Luckily there were no youtube-friendly-passers-by, or I'd be as popular as this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4

ryott52

Hey man, have you considered adding a different front end? Maybe something with slightly better brakes than the stock GS? That's going to be a lot of power to try and hold down with one disc.
"Look at life early as a serious matter. Life is hard, it does not pamper anybody, and for every time it strokes you it gives you ten blows. Become accustomed to that soon, but don't let it defeat you. Decide to fight."

cbrfxr67

Hey Shep!  That's terrible to hear about your mishap!  DOh!  Least you didn't snap a tibia or something worse!  I know you can fix that minor stuff in an afternoon easy.

Work progress,...I uhhh,...well,....errr,....actually I moved out of my garage 'shop' and into another garage but haven't gotten everything settled to where I can do good work yet.  It's covered up, just waiting.

Ryot, I figured eventually work something out.  I wanted to get it roadworthy and riding and then move to a new phase.  When you first got your f3 I was really interested in what you had to say about it.  Maybe update your old post (http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=61774.msg719193#msg719193) with a review?  I'd sure like to read it.  :thumb:
-buddha

Tombstones81

Def got some skills man!

WOW to.... friggin ALL of it! hahaha  :thumb:

Last time I checked this is when you finished it with the previous motor.

Didnt expect ya to keep going Way beyond that!  :bowdown:
94 GS500
01 Engine
Personally repainted!  (Traded)

87 Honda VF700C Magna
(Super Magna)

xunedeinx

cbrfxr67

getting things set up again,....took a look trying to figure out where I left off yesterday,...wiring,...weee fun

-buddha

Big Rich

Glad to hear you're back at it Cbr.

The only good thing about doing wiring is that once it's done (properly), you don't have to worry about it for years.....
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

cbrfxr67

Thanks Big Rich!  Hope things are going good for you, by the way!

Finished my chop on the battery box to hold the electronics and got it set up.  Wiring away,....but saw this on cf and still undecided on my eventual tank.  Would love to weld something up that I could say I made myself like this guy is doing.

-buddha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk