News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

Battery

Started by ashman, November 19, 2005, 01:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashman

Hey,
I replaced my battery less then 2 yrs ago but last night she didnt have enuff to turn over, its harder i assume cuz of the cold, aka takes more cranking power. I jumped her and ran it to charge back up and then tryed starting later that night. Once again each attempt had less and less power. Is it not normal for a battery to give after 2 yrs being used several days a week getting about 7-8k of riding time a year? Or do you think I can pick up some more acid somewhere? It could be a charging problem but i feel strongly its the batt.
-ash
Proud owner of a Bandit 600S former owner of a 93 GS500E

TheGoodGuy

when the temprature drops it does that.. i've seen it do that.
nothing you can do other than put it on a battery tender and let it sit when you arent running the bike.
'01 GS500. Mods: Katana Shock, Progessive Springs, BobB's V&H  Advancer Clone, JeffD's LED tail lights & LED licence plate bolt running lights, flanders superbike bars, magnet under the bike. Recent mods: Rejet with 20/62.5/145, 3 shims on needle, K&N Lunch box.

RedShift

I wouldn't give up on the battery until you've given it a good charge from a source other than your bike.

If you have access to a 2 amp car battery charger, stick it on there for an hour or two and see if it behaves like new.  

If it does, post a reply and we'll brainstorm why it's not getting sufficient charge from your bike.  If it doesn't make a difference, it's likely the fault of the battery and a new one would be in order.

(I'm assuming there's enough fluid it the cells to cover the plates and looks good otherwise).
2001 GS500E, stock except for SV650 Flyscreen, Case Guards, Headlight Modulator, PIAA Super White bulb & 17-Tooth Front Sprocket, BLUE, RED and GREEN LED Instrument and Dash Lights

gsmetal

Quote from: ashmanIs it not normal for a battery to give after 2 yrs being used several days a week getting about 7-8k of riding time a year?
-ash

That depends on how you treat your battery the rest of the year. Do you plug it into a battery tender when not in use or do you leave it sit? At what temp do you pull it out (or do you at all?)

I keep all my bikes plugged in as much as possilble and the batteries last about 4 years and then I just replace them because I'm anal.
"During Prohibition I survived on nothing but food and water." - W.C.Fields

JetSwing

check the acid level
My hunch was right...Pandy is the biggest Post Whore!

ashman

Ok, I got some more acid from autozone for 3 or 4 bux and refilled my battery. Then gave it a charge for a hour or so and that seems to have done the trick. I cant believe I didnt ride for close to three weeks.  :?
-ash

RedShift

Another satisfied customer.  :)
2001 GS500E, stock except for SV650 Flyscreen, Case Guards, Headlight Modulator, PIAA Super White bulb & 17-Tooth Front Sprocket, BLUE, RED and GREEN LED Instrument and Dash Lights

Alphamazing

Did you check your water levels too? There are 6 chambers that you need to keep filled with distilled water.
'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!
http://wiki.gstwins.com/

ninja_steve

Quote from: ashmanHey,
I replaced my battery less then 2 yrs ago but last night she didnt have enuff to turn over, its harder i assume cuz of the cold, aka takes more cranking power. I jumped her and ran it to charge back up and then tryed starting later that night. Once again each attempt had less and less power. Is it not normal for a battery to give after 2 yrs being used several days a week getting about 7-8k of riding time a year? Or do you think I can pick up some more acid somewhere? It could be a charging problem but i feel strongly its the batt.
-ash

i wouldnt trust it.  the same thing happened to me last week- the temp was just at freezing and the bike wouldnt start.  i put more water and charge- its fine.  i would just get a new batter  :dunno:
'89 gs500- tag x5 quad bars, R6 master cylinder, braided front line, k&n, vance & hines header w/ 2 bros can, lots of other stuff. ******for sale******
'89 honda xr600 supermoto- 17" sun rims laced to stock hubs, 15/46 gearing, fmf q exhaust, k&n pod, sportecs, protapers, soon to have cr usd forks

ashman

I didnt put more water in it. I completely emptied it and refilled w/ battery acid. Distilled water sux, the acid is almost cheaper then a bottle of distilled water, and just get a new battery you say. lets see 3 dollars or 60 dollars. hmm, 3 bux and i can always bump start it if need be. common sense over spending cents i dont have thank you.
-ash

Mountaineer

Adding edistilled water to a battery when the level gets low is exactly what is called for as part of routine maintenance. It's easy to understand how someone might think that acid is better, but what happens to a battery is, WATER is lost due to evaporation. There's still plenty of acid contained in the water, you just need to keep the water level up to it's minimum level. Also keep it charged as best you can.

gsbethesda

Exactly... You're not supposed to top of the battery with acid. I suggest a Gel battery (maintenance free and no danger of acid spill), because your existing battery is not going to hold out much longer.

NiceGuysFinishLast

Dunno bout bikes, but when I lived in Florida (aka the last 16 years or so, till I moved to ATL), I considered myself lucky if the battery in my car lasted more than 2 years... the high temps down there were rough...
irc.freequest.net

#GStwins gs500

Hang out there, we may flame, but we don't hate.

My attitude is in serious need of readjustment, and I'm ok with that.

RedShift

Pouring in acid can "add fuel" to the process of sulfating battery plates.  You should have "washed out" any lead sulfate that would dissolve before putting fresh acid in the battery.

Here's a link you've got to read on HOW CAN I REVIVE A SULFATED BATTERY?.  The whole site has good battery information, and agrees to what NiceGuysFinishLast says about heat being the biggest killer of a battery.

Anyway, have a read.  (The whole of the CAR AND DEEP CYCLE BATTERY FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS is a great resource -- worth a bookmark.)  The best prevention to premature battery failure is a Battery Tender that keeps the thing always fresh and ready for action.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk