News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shepa

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on December 05, 2011, 08:19:33 AM
Was thinking about that dohabee.  Shepa didn't have the same problem so perhaps my forks are worn out.  I haven't done anything to them yet, not even checked them out, probably should do that before reconfiguring whole radiator.
Come to think of it... I'd probably have the same problem if my forks didn't have inner spacers 35mm longer than original (more preload), so when they're bottoming out the fender's still way off the radiator (which Tesla mounted as far up the frame as possible, you saw the picture).
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

cbrfxr67

Picked up a dual radiator set up for dirt cheap and thinking of trying it out.  I am not sure if the capacity will be enough to cool the engine but side by side the two are near the size of the stock 600 radiator.  I'll probably try it just because I want to make it work.   :2guns:

Saturday,...pulled radiator off and messed around with my dual radiator idea.  Shame when you work on something (brackets for radiator) and then come back and toss them all to the side cause you need to figure something else out.  Dual radiators may work.  Hose routing is kind of annoying.  Going to go by hardware store tomorrow and see what kind of adapters I can find for hoses.

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Experimented with dual radiator set up.  I kind of like it just because it looks different.  Still need to get some hoses routed right and then make brackets to hold them.  I'll post pics when I get it finished.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Shepa

C'mon dude, this is taking way too much time, get it on the road already!!!

:thumb:

cbrfxr67

I'm aiming for spring honestly.  I still have alot to do Shep!
Last night worked on making brackets for dual radiators.  I don't know what you guys are going to think about these.  I'm not sure what I think, yet.
After that, start figuring out gauge and controls set up, then tank nightmare, then back to bodywork and finishing that, then undertail, and finishing touches and should be done.  What could go wrong between now and then?  Surely nothing!
-buddha

Shepa

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on December 21, 2011, 08:46:23 AM
I'm aiming for spring honestly.  I still have alot to do Shep!
Last night worked on making brackets for dual radiators.  I don't know what you guys are going to think about these.  I'm not sure what I think, yet.
After that, start figuring out gauge and controls set up, then tank nightmare, then back to bodywork and finishing that, then undertail, and finishing touches and should be done.  What could go wrong between now and then?  Surely nothing!
Tell you what... pay Tesla a round-trip airplane ticket, and he'll do it for free in a couple o' days.  :icon_mrgreen:

cbrfxr67

With his eyes closed too I'm sure!   :icon_mrgreen:

Worked on my radiator brackets more and almost finished today.  Just using mild steel, (actually handles off of roll around battery chargers from work) bending and drilling mounting holes.

And, here's preliminary,....

They are about as wide as the enginecase.  So though they look huge, really they aren't that wide.  I'm still adjusting and haven't got them comlpetely set yet.  I'm thinking of eventually making some scoops or shrouds but that'll be later.  While side by side, they are almost the size of the stock 600 radiator, I don't know how they will cool in Texas summer heat.  They'll both have a fan.  Only summer'll be able to test their cooling ability.  Please comment on if you hate 'em, like 'em or whatever.  Like Tombstones81 said, sometimes you keep posting and noone says anything so you wonder if you're writing it up badly or what,.....either way, still working on it.
-buddha

comradeiggy

That setup looks pretty sick IMO, I'd just be worried about a rock or something getting kicked up into it.

Shepa

Hm... Looks rather interesting, and the width gives it some muscle look.
But what about the fairings clearance?

dohabee

Looks pretty cool, is it going to fit under the bodywork?

cbrfxr67

Took it out tonight, on low traffic Christmas Day, and drove around.  Feels so different from my bike, still scary fast.  Got my brackets sewed up finally and next will mount the fan(s).  Had problems getting the angles on right side.  Then saw the unused engine mounting point on the removable frame piece and used that to get it mounted solid.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll get more time to work on it.   :)

Thanks Comradeiggy.

Shep, and Dohabee,...I'm not sure about body work.  Maybe some shrouds, SuperDuke Ktm style on the sides?  I'll figure that out later.  Pretty sure stock body work isn't going to work.  Or,...would it, with some modifications?  That might be alot more interesting.  Alot of work but could be worth it after I get it road legal.
-buddha

comradeiggy

I just thought of something. Even though the radiators aren't quite the size of the stock one, since they are out in the air flow away from the (hot) engine and headers, with nothing behind them to cause back pressure and what not, they will probably have significantly more cooling power than the stock radiator even without fans.

cbrfxr67

I hadn't thought of that but I'm hoping you're right.  I accidentally dumped it (didn't put kickstand all the way down oops) but it didn't bend anything.  I thought for sure I was going to have to redo brackets or something.
Mounted my fan and then messed around with some muffler ideas.  Thought of hacking the old gs exhaust up and making something but seems a shame to chop it up and lose my wall decoration.  I want it to be Seamax style but not sure if anything'll fit right, with the way my header is.  Actually thinking of trying to make my own after looking at some guys on the web who made their own.  Just a short baffle on the inside with some packing, weld it up and stick it on.  How hard can it be?   :2guns:
Turned to controls and dash and realized crossing over from the 600 harness to GS control wiring was going to be a real pita.  I don't want to, but going to go with the cbr controls to match the harness.  oh well doing that this weekend.
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Worked on getting the controls and wiring sewed up on the front.  Really disappointed to have to take airbox off again.  erg.  I didn't have a throttle tube with me, so stopped on the controls and taped up wiring and mounted ignition.  Zip ties have been holding everything for awhile.  Made some dinky brackets to hold the ignition at a nice angle.  NOooooo of course it didn't fit the stock location.  I didn't cut it down to match the ignition because I may need to mount more pieces to these later.  If not I'll cut them down and make them look nice.  Seemed like I put a lot of time into this today.  That or time slipped by quicker than I expected.
Thinking of how to do the gauge pod.  Sure a smaller gauge setup is sexy but I'd like to use the 600 gauges and get on with it.  Debating cutting them down and mounting them tight on the triple.  Wish I had some xune-like skills and could fiberglass them into the top of the tank.  That'd be much more interesting!

-buddha

cbrfxr67

Tonite swapped the controls, throttle cable and choke cable.  I'm not a big fan of rework but it wasn't that bad, probably much better than trying to rewire the GS controls to match the 600 harness.  So, got that done and called it an evening.  Really made a difference up front, eliminating unneeded wiring.

Starting to look for some headlight ideas and thinking about what to do with that jacka** tank.
-buddha

xunedeinx

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on December 31, 2011, 04:55:38 PM
Wish I had some xune-like skills and could fiberglass them into the top of the tank.  That'd be much more interesting!

Its easy!

Get some styrofoam, mold/cut/trim it to the look you want on the tank, than cover your tank COMPLETELY with tin foil, no holes or leaks, Lay the glass over it, resin it, wait for it to cure, remove it, pour gasoline on it to melt away the foam, and lay your final glass layers on the inside.

Than, just finish the peice, find a way to mount it, and your golden!

That easy...heh

cbrfxr67

Thanks xune.  Really giving me some ideas with that.  I still have to figure out what to do with the tank anyway, so might try it!
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Last night messed around with the tank and found that the auxillary tank will fit under the tank.  So with that, made a nifty bracket for it and though it isn't the best option, for the moment will run with it.  Xune got me thinking, to set it up this way and then fiberglass a new shape, make a new tank (maybe weld something up to fit the dimensions) under that and go with it.  For now though, will use auxillary tank under original tank 'shell.'  It holds about a gallon and a half at most.  Good thing I'm not commuting across Croatia. ;)

-buddha

xunedeinx

Another crazy idea for you...

Take your stock tank, and build the airbox into the front half of it, and a gas tank into the rear half, and have it hinge up in the front, kind of like the hood on a caddillac with the pnumonic pistons.

It'll get rid of having to use the stock airbox, and consolidate it into the stock gas tank..

It'll look stock, and be functional. And, you should have at least 2 gallons of gas.

If you need more, buy an auxillery 2 gallon tank, and find a way to put it under the seat!

cbrfxr67

You always have good ideas Xune.  I'm definitely not finished with the tank set up.  Just wanting to get it moving.  I figure that area can be modded later after 'finishing' because the tank dimensions won't change and I can sew up everything around it.
Worked on battery box and mounting bracket, made out of a scrapped battery charger handle and a broke inverter.  I probably spent way too much time on it but was having fun with it.  For some reason I really have fun bending and maneuvering brackets to fit where I want them to.

Test fitting bracket for battery box

Mounts to the engine hanger location on the left side.  I put a piece of rubber in the bottom to keep the bolt heads from rubbing through the battery casing.
Also got my muffler in today that Redge posted up in another thread.  It's shorter than I expected and that's a good thing.  Going to see if it'll work.

And is it just me or was the forum down for two days?!  ShaZamming Buddhalovesyou

-buddha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk