News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

RANT: Grammar Police Can Suck My Pencil

Started by Phaedrus, June 30, 2006, 09:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phaedrus

Dear Grammar Police,

Just in case you have not yet realized it, this is a casual Internet forum about motorcycles. It is not a scholarly journal, term paper, or a literary work of any importance. You are not being graded, and you are not my English teacher. It is simply a laid back online forum for people to hang out, post stuff, etc. Everyone should feel comfortable posting, right?

I personally find it obnoxious when someone "corrects" my spelling or grammar. You know what I mean, so why call me, or anyone else, on it? Are you trying to make them feel like a degenerate? Why do you feel the need to proove how smart you think you are? I'm not impressed.

Do you correct the speech of those around you? I hope not, because just like on here it only makes you come off as pompous and condescending. Almost no one - except maybe foreigners  :laugh: - speak true, proper English. Our dialect is casual. Get over yourself.

Would a quick read through / spell check / preview hurt before posting? Of course not. But is it really that important? No, it isn't.

If you want to be all anal about your own posts, that's great. Keep on keepin' on.

And if you don't like it, you can suck my pencil. Beeyotch.  :flipoff:

Phaedrus

PS - G'head - Look it over for a typo or a spelling error, but I've got better things to do  :thumb:
Richard died in a motorcycle accident that was at no fault of his own.  We lost a good friend and good member of this board.  Though Rich may be gone, his legacy will live on here.

Photos from the June '06 Northeast GStwin Meet

TadMC

what chaps my butt is when people correct me when I write "your"  instead of "you're"

yamahonkawazuki

Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

jake42

oh christ. He's right though.  you were talking about soup.
"God is a big guy who drives a monster truck and lives in the sky". Isaac age 3.  My boy is a philosophical genius.

JakeD-getting your nipple pierced is not crazy. Killing a drifter to get an errection? Now that's crazy!

Phaedrus

Well, it wasn't just that.  :laugh:

It's just petty, and it happens a lot. And so what if I was? He, and everyone else, knew what I meant. :dunno_white:
Richard died in a motorcycle accident that was at no fault of his own.  We lost a good friend and good member of this board.  Though Rich may be gone, his legacy will live on here.

Photos from the June '06 Northeast GStwin Meet

CirclesCenter

Quote from: TadMC on June 30, 2006, 09:12:45 PM
what chaps my butt is when people correct me when I write "your"  instead of "you're"

Ahahahah, you didn't capitalize the first letter of the sentence. Ahahahahhaa.

Sorry I could not help myself, please don't kill me.

Agreed though, except for when it's a run on after run on after run on sentence, with no punctuation, indenting, carriage returns, or any of that. That stuff makes me disregard everything they are saying instantly. ('Cause it's hard to read.)

So long as it is reasonable I don't care, but when it gets to some weird alphabet soup BS substituting letters and numbers and crap, then they need to die.
Rich, RIP.

NiceGuysFinishLast

wow Phae.. I didn't realize that would piss you off so bad dude, I'm sorry.. I was just being my regular smartass-ish self.. I didn't do it to make you feel bad or anything, I just thought it was funny, cuz I like wonton soup, a lot...

my bad dude.. like I said, I'm sorry..
irc.freequest.net

#GStwins gs500

Hang out there, we may flame, but we don't hate.

My attitude is in serious need of readjustment, and I'm ok with that.

Destro

Quote from: Phaedrus on June 30, 2006, 09:10:23 PM
I personally find it obnoxious when someone "corrects" my spelling or grammar. You know what I mean, so why call me, or anyone else, on it? Are you trying to make them feel like a degenerate? Why do you feel the need to proove how smart you think you are? I'm not impressed

Prove only has one "o"!  :laugh: :flipoff: :icon_lol:
-Shayne
'92 GS500
'00 YZF600R

Alphamazing

The only time it really bothers me is when it is impossible to read and takes longer to deceipher what the hell the person was trying to say than it took reading their message. You know the ones, who abbreviate every single little word, but do it horribly. Then there are the ones who have so many spelling errors that it actually detracts from what they are trying to say or ask.

And you're right, a lot of foreigners speak better English than a lot of Americans, even on here. MarkusN of Switzerland comes to mind, and shik in the chatroom as well. Sometimes it's just absolutely pathetic how bad it is though, and Im sure you can attest to that.
'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!
http://wiki.gstwins.com/

scottpA_GS

:thumb: I have horrible grammar ! :)

I think Sirinaths posts are the best though  :thumb:

I agree... WHO CARES !  :cheers:

~ 1990 GS500E Project bike ~ Frame up restoration ~ Yosh exhaust, 89 clipons, ...more to come...

~ 98 Shadow ACE 750 ~ Black Straight Pipes ~ UNI Filter ~ Dyno Jet Stage 1 ~ Sissy Bar ~

pandy

~~No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.~~

Eleanor Roosevelt, 1937
'06 SV650s (1 past Gixxer; 3 past GS500s)
I get blamed for EVERYTHING around here!
:woohoo:

ajgs500

Quote from: pandy on July 01, 2006, 12:50:26 PM

Eleanor Roosevelt, 1937

Oooooooooooooooo  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

john

Eleanor Roosevelt, 1937

AJ, how did you turn Pandy?  I know she's turned to the dark side seeing she's quoting Eleanor Roosevelt.
There is more to this site than a message board.  Check out http://www.gstwin.com

Fear the banana hammer!

pandy

Quote from: john on July 01, 2006, 12:55:38 PM
AJ, how did you turn Pandy?  I know she's turned to the dark side seeing she's quoting Eleanor Roosevelt.

It was you, john. You called aj "pandy," and I've been in therapy ever since. Reading Eleanor Roosevelt and Zen books are part of the healing process.  :cookoo: :icon_razz:

ajgs500

Quote from: john on July 01, 2006, 12:55:38 PM

Eleanor Roosevelt, 1937

Muahahahahahahahaha I will never reveal my secret!!!!!  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

annguyen1981

PS - G'head - Look it over for a typo or a spelling error, but I've got better things to do  :thumb:

It is "Go Ahead"

:laugh: :laugh: :flipoff: :laugh:

2007 YZF-R6 - Purchased 7/03/07
2004 YZF-R6 - Stolen 5/25/07
2004 GS500f - Sold to Bluelespaul
Killin' a Kitty

pandy

It is simply a laid back online forum for people to hang out, post stuff, etc. 

"Laid back" is a compound adjective modifying the noun "forum," so it should be hyphenated.  :icon_twisted: :icon_mrgreen: :kiss3:

john

Quote from: pandy on July 01, 2006, 02:36:57 PM
It is simply a laid back online forum for people to hang out, post stuff, etc. 

"Laid back" is a compound adjective modifying the noun "forum," so it should be hyphenated.  :icon_twisted: :icon_mrgreen: :kiss3:

Yep it's laid-back. 
There is more to this site than a message board.  Check out http://www.gstwin.com

Fear the banana hammer!

pandy

annguyen1981

2007 YZF-R6 - Purchased 7/03/07
2004 YZF-R6 - Stolen 5/25/07
2004 GS500f - Sold to Bluelespaul
Killin' a Kitty

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk