News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

my 89 GS500e

Started by GS500Schultz, October 23, 2014, 03:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Rich

How did I miss this project?

Good work Schultz. I've been looking at that digital speedo on ebay and nobody (that I found) said it could be swapped to MPH.

Side note: when I saw the picture of you holding the speedo early in thread I thought "look at the weird glare from the lighting....Schultz must be working in a cold a$$ garage." Sure enough....
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

GS500Schultz

The china gauge  worked okay, still had a jumpy tach but Speedo was dead on!

Switches from kph to mph no issues there.

I switched from the china gauge to a standard analog gauge as it made my cafe bike look too "new"
Same with the headlight. Also the single light is much lighter than the double. Weight is a big factor on the Gs for a better power to weight ratio I stripped off everything not really needed.

Even the bars are now clip ons to the fork. The drag bar and top plate were too much.
You don't own a project bike..
The Project bike owns you!

GS500Schultz

Thanks man! Lot of time is going into my bike and I hope its perfect when its done.

GS500Schultz

now onto the exhaust, still need hangers made and a few adjustments

akapellen17

That looks awesome! I love the dual exhausts. Looks good!
2005 Suzuki GS500F
Race Tech Springs | R6 Shock | GSXR Rearsets | Delkevic Carbon | R6 Throttle | Gauge LEDs | Dash Clock | ZG Double Bubble | Chuck81's Fork Brace | Gold D.I.D. Chain | GP Shift | Katana Rear Wheel | Battlax S20 Evo | SV650 Clutch and MC | Braided Brake Lines

Al Capwn

1000% agree - I dig the dual exhausts. Excited to see how this turns out. :thumb:

jacob92icu

Wow dude that hinge idea for the battery box is awesome!! Are you going to paint all of the raw metal?

This is turning into a pretty dang awesome project.  :thumb:
I am into buying bikes that people have given up on and fixing them up!

RIP Patrick Lajko, I miss you man.

GS500Schultz

Quote from: jacob92icu on July 09, 2015, 05:49:28 PM
Wow dude that hinge idea for the battery box is awesome!! Are you going to paint all of the raw metal?

This is turning into a pretty dang awesome project.  :thumb:

i'm honestly not sure... I might just clear coat it the way it is. Or blast and powder coat it as close to the oem frame color as possible, until I can get the bike down to the bare frame this winter.

Seeing as I have paid for a tail of the dragon trip next month... I would like to take my GS as the womans XS400 is a bit too slow for my liking for highway riding.

Big Rich

Schultz, I'll vote against clear coating over bare steel. It looks great at first, but from what I've seen it's never permanent. Clear coat paint isn't made to stick to bare steel - only other paints. So the clear coat wears away over time (and since it's clear you don't notice it) and the steel underneath starts to rust anyway.

Mind you, I haven't tried it personally. That's just what I've read multiple times online. So take that for what it's worth....
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

crackin

I like this. You are taking an ugly bike and making it cool. As opposed to taking an ugly bike and making it even uglier. That is why the gs has such a bad reputation, cause its so ugly and folks just make them uglier. :flipoff:
Are those F model pipes? Did you remove the cats?
Good job, continue on.
No matter what i do to it, it's still a GS
It's not how fast your bike is, it's how long you are prepared to hold the throttle on.

GS500Schultz

Quote from: Big Rich on July 09, 2015, 09:10:30 PM
Schultz, I'll vote against clear coating over bare steel. It looks great at first, but from what I've seen it's never permanent. Clear coat paint isn't made to stick to bare steel - only other paints. So the clear coat wears away over time (and since it's clear you don't notice it) and the steel underneath starts to rust anyway.

Mind you, I haven't tried it personally. That's just what I've read multiple times online. So take that for what it's worth....

I was going to put a clear powder coat over it. I'm a bit powder crazy lately lol

also the mufflers are emgo mufflers with a removable baffles. No cats to be found on my 1989 GS.

The Buddha

There is a silver powdercoat that actually looks awesome, I think its called chrome powder coat. Now they say it has aluminum in it and that can turn black over a few years, and it really looks like shiny blackish aluminum - very nice even so.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

GS500Schultz

I know the chrome powder coat well. I use it as a base coat for all my candy colors

or it looks like this with a clear coat on it

GS500Schultz

so about that unimpressive twin piston caliper.  Yea anyone want to buy one?

Did a minor upgrade

akapellen17

Looks awesome! I'm super excited! My caliper bracket should be coming in soon!!!:)
2005 Suzuki GS500F
Race Tech Springs | R6 Shock | GSXR Rearsets | Delkevic Carbon | R6 Throttle | Gauge LEDs | Dash Clock | ZG Double Bubble | Chuck81's Fork Brace | Gold D.I.D. Chain | GP Shift | Katana Rear Wheel | Battlax S20 Evo | SV650 Clutch and MC | Braided Brake Lines

GS500Schultz

Quote from: akapellen17 on July 15, 2015, 11:54:47 AM
Looks awesome! I'm super excited! My caliper bracket should be coming in soon!!!:)

sweet! i'm surprised at my self that I didn't do a front end swap with a GSXR or something. Then again I think that would have broke the budget long ago!

akapellen17

If you do complete a front end swap, let me know! I would love your set up! Even though I'm getting my own!
2005 Suzuki GS500F

akapellen17

Do you have any pictures of the bike with the tank on? I'm curious to see how the tank lines up!
2005 Suzuki GS500F

GS500Schultz

hmm let me check, but i don't think so.

akapellen17

Okay sounds good! Im not sure if you already said this in the thread, but what size metal tubing and wall thickness is the subframe? I want to make one with tabs like that so I can switch out the subframe. I am planning on making it a track bike and would like to be able to change the subframe if I crash or anything and bend the subframe.
2005 Suzuki GS500F

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk