News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Clymer manual Here

Main Menu

Another "bike won't start" thread.

Started by Rydar, March 03, 2012, 04:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rydar

Allright, so i bought my used 2007 500f from a dealership a couple months ago, had it delivered cause i'm new to bikes and haven't taken the safety course yet (scheduled for end of the month).  It started the day i got it, everything was cool.  The next time i tried it, i was unaware that i had it in gear while the sidestand was down, so it repeatedly stalled.  After that, i made a few more mistakes.  I held the starter button down longer than you're supposed to.  I opened the throttle to try to give it gas to keep it from stalling.  Once i realized my problem and put it back in neutral, it still wouldn't start, so i walked away from it.  Later that week, i also dropped the bike trying to put it on the centerstand.  I repaired the fairing damage with JB weld and ordered a battery charger.  I charged the battery, tried it again, still wouldn't start.  Figured i'd killed the battery, bought a new one, charged it, put it in the bike, and it still won't start.  I do hear a clicking sound like it's trying to start, so at least i hear somethin, but the engine isn't trying to turn over, it seems.  I also tried starting it with the choke off and the throttle open in case the engine was flooded, no luck.

So now i can only guess what's wrong with it, cause i'm not mechanically savvy.  Would a flooded engine stop a bike from starting?  Is it more likely that i fouled up the electical system?  I dismantled the side fairings so that i can get at the spark plugs, but i balked at actually taking them out to check them.  Being new to this stuff, i'm very nervous about making it worse while trying to fix it, but i don't want to go running back to the dealership at my first problem either.  I guess my question is two part.  Should i just take it to a shop to be fixed by someone who knows what they're doing, or should i get over my fear and start digging into the machine to find out where the problem is?  If the latter is the case, what's my best course of action? 

BaltimoreGS

Start simple:  Are the battery terminals tight?  Are you sure the battery is charged?  A fully charged battery will read ~12.7 volts on volt meter.

-Jessie

Twisted

Cold start on a GS is like so - Turn choke to full on - Pull in the clutch, make sure you are in neutral - crank starter - once fired let run on full choke or 3k rpm for 30 secs to 1 min - Reduce choke gradually till warmed up.

J_Walker

If you hear a clicking sound when your trying to start. First hand I know.. your battery is dead... Also how long did it "Sit"? Could be a carb problem. if so.. don't be scared You can fix it easy yourself. If you've ever fixed a toilet, Carbs work exactly the same. just smaller. if not < Like myself. Than its alright. Take it slow, Ask questions on here. Research, And Go at it.. The only thing stopping you from cleaning your carbs is you. ofc if your bike is still under warranty from the dealer ship. Shoot take it to them.. or higher a tow truck, like 15$ every mile or so. Could look around for one cheaper. What ever. Just remember, Its a lot more rewarding to do things yourself.. and sometimes cheaper! I started my top end rebuild right before I turned 18, So I started at 17.. Just now finishing up almost 3 months later.
-Walker

Twisted

Carb problems will not make the bike click when trying to start. Do as Baltimore said - Start simple then work up.

Rydar

Ok, so i'll add a multimeter to my bike supplies shopping list, make sure my battery is putting out the volts.  But i don't see how it could be the battery when it's literally brand  new and freshly charged.  Would jump starting the bike be worth a try at this point?  Or even bump starting?

BaltimoreGS

A jump start would tell you if the problem is in the bike or the battery   :thumb:  If you are jumping off a car, do it while the engine is NOT running.

-Jessie

mister

Rydar,

Are your battery connections sound?
Are you trying with the Clutch in even in neutral?
Is the kill switch on or off?

Michael
GS Picture Game - Lists of Completed Challenges & Current Challenge http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGame and http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGameList2

GS500 Round Aust Relay http://tinyurl.com/GS500RoundAustRelay

Rydar

the connections to the battery are fine as far as i know. The clutch is in, yes, and the engine switch is set to complete the circut.  It seems the previous owner or the dealer, one or the other, also attached the leads for a charger while the battery is in the bike (i assume that isn't standard).  I've used it to charge the battery while it's in the bike, but i don't think it'd really affect anything while the battery tender is disconnected.

J_Walker

Quote from: Twisted on March 03, 2012, 05:30:51 PM
Carb problems will not make the bike click when trying to start. Do as Baltimore said - Start simple then work up.

I was talking about 2 different things.. the clicking was the battery being shot. and the starting but than stopping, is carbs. I was saying that.
-Walker

BaltimoreGS

The pig tail on the battery will not cause any problems though it is not necessary on a GS since the battery is easily accessible.  Have you tried jump starting it yet?  How long did you charge it for?  What is the amp output of your charger?  If it is one of those .5 amp trickle charges it will take a looooong time to charge a dead battery.

-Jessie

J_Walker

Get an ever start battery jumper.. Actually works pretty good. Works on motorcycles and cars. IF you have to get one. They are small enough to carry around strapped to your bike just in case you have to wait to get paided/ or ordered a new battery and waiting for it to get in. I do this.. Normally my flywheel charges my battery enough to start it the next 4-5 times. But hold the start button to long. and it dies again. YES I know I need a new battery. but if you've got other things to pay for this is it. I actually got the ever start battery jumper from a construction site that someone never claimed so I took it. ^)^ But it might be easier to do it other peoples way. not my lazy way.
-Walker

Rydar

Quote from: BaltimoreGS on March 03, 2012, 06:40:18 PM
Have you tried jump starting it yet?  How long did you charge it for?  What is the amp output of your charger?
-Jessie

Haven't tried jumping it yet, no, and i know, don't turn the car on if i do.  I charged the battery for like a day or so.  I'm using a battery tender 12v junior, so it just shows solid green when the battery is fully charged.

Rydar

Just as an additional piece of info, the battery i got from the dealership wasn't stock, but the battery i replaced it with is the scorpion sealed one from batterystuff.

http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYT10L-A2.html

Twisted

Did it come with bottles of acid you had to put in yourself?

Rydar

No acid to add, comes as a sealed battery. 
So i went out and bought a multimeter today, and my readings were like 13.1v when the bike was off and 12.2 when the bike was on with lights and such.  Course the variance is +- .5, so it's not perfect, but as i said, it's a brand new battery and i wouldn't think it's got issues.  I can try jumping it later tho if it is a battery issue.  If it's not, what other issues would cause it?  Fouled up spark plug?

Edit: Update - tried jumpin it with the same results, same sound as before.  What should be my next step on the road to diagnosing the problem?

BaltimoreGS

I doubt it is your problem but if you have a 7mm and 19mm socket, take off the round side cover (three 7mm bolts) and try turning the rotor CLOCKWISE with the 19mm socket on the rotor.  If you have a lot of resistance the engine is hydro locked (cylinder flooded by leaking carb).

-Jessie

twinrat

try tightening the wires on the starter relay you may not be getting a good contact ,if this dosnt work try  tightening the wires on the starter moter which is under the black panel below the carbs .try the simple things first.

twinrat

try tightening the wires on the starter relay you may not be getting a good contact ,if this dosnt work try  tightening the wires on the starter moter which is under the black panel below the carbs .try the simple things first.

did this work????????????? or what was its cure

Rydar

Sorry twinrat, i didn't notice your question for a while.  I tried starting it up again the other day and i noticed after replacing the battery that there's no clickin, the starter just seems to be spinnin.  I looked around at youtube and it's the same sound others have posted as having starter clutch problems.  But as of yet, i haven't decided whether to take it to someone to fix that knows what they're doing, or begin to learn how to take the bike apart myself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk