News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

Good roads for riding in Central Illinois?

Started by mimikeni, January 08, 2012, 11:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mimikeni

I live in Springfield, IL.  It's pretty flat and the roads aren't very interesting.  Anyone know of any roads that would offer some twists and undulations?  There are some great roads in Missouri outside of St. Louis but I'd have to ride 2.5 hours to get there. 
Ride to live; live to ride.

bombsquad83

I'm in Bloomington/Normal, IL.  Mostly flat around here!  There are few parks to go ride around, but nothing too great that I have found yet.

Karl with a K

2.5 hours is a long time to get to some twisties, but it's your fault for living in central IL :D

If you ever decide to make a day of it, or a weekend for that matter, and come out this way I can take you to some great roads.  Twisty, good pavement, little to no traffic. 

One of my favorite spots is to head Southwest from St. Louis to the Potosi, MO area.  Mark Twain National Forest picks up a little further West of Potosi, but most of the roads in that area are great motorcycling roads. 

If you need a place to crash for the night (pun intended) I have a finished basement that you could sleep in free of charge.

Passion and logic have nothing to do with each other.

bombsquad83

I might take you up on that ride.  I have a friend in the stl that I could visit and stay with.

ninjeff

Lake Bloomington is a  good ride. It doesnt last long, but it's about as good as we get close to home.
BE careful though, in the summer time the residents and farmers around the lake LOVE to spew all their grass clippings right into the road. I've also heard rumors that they will toss gravel down in the turns because they hate "sport bikes" though i've never seen evidence of it myself.

bombsquad83

I have done the Lake Bloomington ride a couple times last late summer and fall.  It's a decent ride.  I was on my buddy's drz400sm and I'm looking forward to doing it on my own bike this spring.  It's a pretty short ride.  I did notice a little gravel in the road in spots.  Just something to look out for.

ninjeff

Yea, a few times on the Ninja250 for me. I have noticed its more fun with friends.
I hear East Peoria is really nice. Havent ridden there myself as i never wanted to ride my 250 that far just to find a road.

Out in Funks Grove has some decent roads. Near Sudden Impact Paintball (shameless self plug....I'm games director there). But its the same issue as Lake Bloomington. Fun for about 15 minutes then you've seen it all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk