Author Topic: 1991 GS500E partout in Minneapolis MN  (Read 275 times)

Offline markmakeitso

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
1991 GS500E partout in Minneapolis MN
« on: August 21, 2016, 06:27:10 PM »
Hello all,
Another GS500E fell into my lap, more or less. Looking to part it out or unload the whole thing.

TLDR warning.
This bike was sitting at my apartment complex when I moved in, and I finally got ahold of the guy a few days ago. He bought the bike new after his Norton needed expensive repairs, and put 22k miles on it in 4 years of riding in NM and CA. In 1994 a fork seal started leaking really badly and he parked the bike because of that. He brought it up to MN when he moved, and stored it indoors since. Never been crashed, although it was tipped over during loading into a trailer, thus the bent brake lever. No title, I have a bill of sale from him, and could do the same to a buyer.

I drained the old oil, put fresh in, spun it for a few seconds a bunch of times, then let it sit, and cranked for 15-20 seconds a couple times with a break in between. Didn't catch on starting spray yet, but I did have weak sparks on a new plug set against the fins. Might throw fresh plugs in and see what we have. May get carbs pulled and check out tank interior also.

Chain and sprockets are shot
Front master cylinder has no resistance, haven't checked that out yet.
Tires are obviously bad
Front wheel is kinda dirty, but cleaned up nicely.
Paint on rear wheel is coming off a bit, good candidate for a respray.
I'll head back out there in a few minutes and check out lights, etc.

Flickr album here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35465757@N05/albums/72157671802563242

He's got an eye on another GS locally, so if we do alright with parting it he might get back in the saddle so to speak. Any special wants? Wait until I check things out more thoroughly?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline gsbnb

• Local Club Racer
Re: 1991 GS500E partout in Minneapolis MN
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 12:49:03 AM »
How do the carbs look?

Offline markmakeitso

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 10:55:11 PM »
Hi gsbnb,
I can pull them out and look, perhaps tomorrow evening. Was warned they weren't drained or anything when the bike was parked, so they might be full of surprises.

Update for anyone: All lights work, good deal.

Offline markmakeitso

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 10:28:18 PM »
Carbs were pretty crusty after sitting so long, but so far have cleaned up well. I haven't completely finished going through them yet, probably another evening.

Put fresh spark plugs in, and now it starts on spray really easily. Would like to get carbs finished and put back on, then actually try running the engine for more than a few seconds at a time.

I must not be Turing Complete, because it usually requires several tries to get the verification letters correct to prove I'm a meatsack. Hmm.

Offline markmakeitso

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 07:54:06 PM »
Hey, just over a year. This project is rocketing along.

Finally dug it out of the garage, finished carb assembly and installation, and gave it a shot. Starts nicely with a little bit of choke and runs fairly decently on gas. I shifted through the gears while running on the centerstand and it seemed fine. No weird noises or clunks from the engine, but I'd guess a valve adjustment and checking the timing chain tensioner are in order. Right cylinder is working a bit harder than the left, and I haven't done a carb balance or mixture tuning. Both cylinders do fire, so it appears pickup, ignition box, and coils are all functioning.

I'll take a few more pictures, maybe a video of startup and running if I can find my potato. Any special requests?

Would like to get the garage space yet. Will cut a deal for someone who takes a bunch of parts off my hands.

I also have a 1 Gen SV650 that's a similar story, working on getting engine running and then parting out. If anyone is interested in parts off of that let me know.

Have fun,
Mark

Offline TooMuchDog

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 03:54:51 PM »
Would you part out the headlight assembly and ship to TX?

Thanks