News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

1991 GS500E partout in Minneapolis MN

Started by markmakeitso, August 21, 2016, 03:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markmakeitso

Hello all,
Another GS500E fell into my lap, more or less. Looking to part it out or unload the whole thing.

TLDR warning.
This bike was sitting at my apartment complex when I moved in, and I finally got ahold of the guy a few days ago. He bought the bike new after his Norton needed expensive repairs, and put 22k miles on it in 4 years of riding in NM and CA. In 1994 a fork seal started leaking really badly and he parked the bike because of that. He brought it up to MN when he moved, and stored it indoors since. Never been crashed, although it was tipped over during loading into a trailer, thus the bent brake lever. No title, I have a bill of sale from him, and could do the same to a buyer.

I drained the old oil, put fresh in, spun it for a few seconds a bunch of times, then let it sit, and cranked for 15-20 seconds a couple times with a break in between. Didn't catch on starting spray yet, but I did have weak sparks on a new plug set against the fins. Might throw fresh plugs in and see what we have. May get carbs pulled and check out tank interior also.

Chain and sprockets are shot
Front master cylinder has no resistance, haven't checked that out yet.
Tires are obviously bad
Front wheel is kinda dirty, but cleaned up nicely.
Paint on rear wheel is coming off a bit, good candidate for a respray.
I'll head back out there in a few minutes and check out lights, etc.

Flickr album here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35465757@N05/albums/72157671802563242

He's got an eye on another GS locally, so if we do alright with parting it he might get back in the saddle so to speak. Any special wants? Wait until I check things out more thoroughly?

Thanks,
Mark

gsbnb

markmakeitso

Hi gsbnb,
I can pull them out and look, perhaps tomorrow evening. Was warned they weren't drained or anything when the bike was parked, so they might be full of surprises.

Update for anyone: All lights work, good deal.

markmakeitso

Carbs were pretty crusty after sitting so long, but so far have cleaned up well. I haven't completely finished going through them yet, probably another evening.

Put fresh spark plugs in, and now it starts on spray really easily. Would like to get carbs finished and put back on, then actually try running the engine for more than a few seconds at a time.

I must not be Turing Complete, because it usually requires several tries to get the verification letters correct to prove I'm a meatsack. Hmm.

markmakeitso

Hey, just over a year. This project is rocketing along.

Finally dug it out of the garage, finished carb assembly and installation, and gave it a shot. Starts nicely with a little bit of choke and runs fairly decently on gas. I shifted through the gears while running on the centerstand and it seemed fine. No weird noises or clunks from the engine, but I'd guess a valve adjustment and checking the timing chain tensioner are in order. Right cylinder is working a bit harder than the left, and I haven't done a carb balance or mixture tuning. Both cylinders do fire, so it appears pickup, ignition box, and coils are all functioning.

I'll take a few more pictures, maybe a video of startup and running if I can find my potato. Any special requests?

Would like to get the garage space yet. Will cut a deal for someone who takes a bunch of parts off my hands.

I also have a 1 Gen SV650 that's a similar story, working on getting engine running and then parting out. If anyone is interested in parts off of that let me know.

Have fun,
Mark

TooMuchDog

Would you part out the headlight assembly and ship to TX?

Thanks

markmakeitso

Hello TooMuchDog,
Sorry I didn't see this sooner, need to change forum settings apparently.

Certainly, what parts do you want? Need close up photos?

Wiesel42

markmakeitso

Hello Wiesel42,
That should be doable. I can take more pictures tomorrow for you. Fair warning, I don't believe the key I have works in the tank, and thus I haven't seen the inside of it. Could ship exactly as it is, or do some exploratory work and let you make a later decision. Your call.

Thanks,
Mark

Wiesel42

Either way buddy.....I'd appreciate if you could remove the cap so I can just transfer mine over.

Thanks for the reply and let me know.

Shane

markmakeitso

Hello Shane,
Drilled out the gas cap, relatively drama free. About 1.5 gallons of dark fuel came out, and it's obvious the tank has been sitting. A friend who has cleaned out a bunch of tanks said that's probably good news, and I'll be snagging a couple gallons of vinegar tomorrow. I don't want to make cleaning it my life's work, but will confirm general usability for you.

What would you like on price? Bottom gasket is intact, and it has the fuel fitting bolted to the bottom currently. Pictures show the tank external condition pretty well. Decent shape, but there are some blemishes on the top surface and the top text sticker is pretty beat.

TooMuchDog,
Lens and mounting ring are already off. Glass is fine, ring has pretty good chrome, some tiny pits on the outside, one rash spot on the front edge, and some light corrosion on the mounting flanges to the inside where it wouldn't show. If you want the housing too it looks good except for a small patch on the top between the clusters. Make an offer and get my enthusiasm up?

Anyone else care for parts? I'm mainly trying to get room in the garage back, but a little money for other bike projects would be good too. Glad to take pics, offers + actual shipping please. I might be able to arrange shipping from a business, which sometimes saves a bit. Shipping the engine on a small pallet isn't out of the question either, if it's really necessary.

Thanks,
Mark

Wiesel42

I'd like to have it as is with fuel fitting if possible and as far as price how about 100 shipped if it's good in the inside.

Thank you!

Shane

Wiesel42

Have you decided anything? I really need a tank?

markmakeitso

Hi Shane,
Yup, I sent a PM a couple days ago, was hoping you'd get back to me. Do you want the selector valve as well as the fitting? No extra charge, think that's kicking around somewhere. Any other parts?

Wiesel42

I just got your message and responded. Not sure why I hadn't received it.
I sent you my address and contact phone number.

Thank you for all your help

Shane

Wiesel42

Wiesel42

Hey man can I get an update.......I sent the money via pypal

Wiesel42

markmakeitso

Alright, Wiesel42 has tank, fuel tap assembly, fuel selector valve, side covers, grab bar and that little body colored plastic piece all en route. Everything else is still up for grabs. Any other doodads somebody wants?

markmakeitso

Good day everyone,
Bike is pretty much completely torn down, and uploaded some more pictures. There's a video of it starting and idling also. Sorry for the mess in the garage, more of a journey than a destination. I'll ship if necessary, but prefer local if possible obviously. Will consider parting out engine, but would like the whole thing gone in one shot. Prices are aggressively priced vs. eBay, and I'll still haggle if you'd like. Prices + actual shipping costs please.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35465757@N05/albums/72157671802563242

Coils w/ wires $10   Tested good

Forks $50   Chrome good, some very minor dings above seal area, good paint. New seals required for use
Lower and upper clamps, handlebar plate/switch w/ key, handlebar risers $25

Front brake system $15  Bent lever, mushy brake feel, didn't diagnose beyond that

Rear brake system $15  Seemed to work fine

Front wheel $40  Bad tire, no scuffs or dents, decent paint
Rear wheel $20  Bad tire, no scuffs or dents, poor paint

Drive chain tensioners $5

Seat $20   Decent shape, couple scuffs and one small tear.

Center stand, airbox, swingarm, rear shock, full exhaust, clutch cable, sprocket cover, fork mounting brackets, pegs, passenger pegs, miscellaneous hardware, rear brake light housing, turn signals, brake pedal, shifter pedal, front fender, fender liner, chain guard, etc. Make offer

I have another tote of parts that I didn't dig out yet. If it's not listed below I probably have it.

Unavailable parts:
Engine (finally!)
Frame
Chain
Sprockets
Tank
Fuel tap
Fuel selector valve
Side panels
Grab handle
Handlebars
Battery
Instrument cluster
Carbs, throttle cable, choke cable
Signal generator
Rotor and starter clutch pack
Starter
Headlight assembly (bulb, lens surround, back housing, triangles and fork tube mounting brackets)
Wiring harness
Clutch lever and perch
Sidestand
Rear brake stay bolts
Rear axle, nut, 2 spacers
Cush drive hub, spacer, and rubber inserts
Seat cable/latch mechanism

Have fun out there,
Mark

Updated sold parts list (and again on 12-11-2018)
7-16-2018 Dropped prices, getting tired of looking at the parts in the garage
11-15-2018 Moving soon, would like everything to go to a good home instead of the scrap pile

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk