News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Intro to get rid of the silly captchas.

Started by Suzi Q, January 29, 2017, 07:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suzi Q

Thank you! You guys track at all, or just commute/recreation?

- SQ
Deals on Amsoil if you want it. PM me for details.

ShowBizWolf

Just dirt cheap transportation and fun for me! And it makes for fun little projects.

Been working on cars my whole life... my dad has a garage he opened in '72 and he's still there every day. Spent my summers there growing up... learning lots... and now I spend as much time as I can there on the weekends when I'm not working. Was a real treat to get into bikes 5 years ago. Learning about them and working on my GS has been wonderful.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Suzi Q

I too learned by slingin' wrenches with my dad in the garage. We did a SBC rebuild together for a rock crawler when I was 8, and then started a drag racing team when I was 14.  The bikes started with 50cc hondas when I was about 6. Good times.

Suzi Q

Not a huge update today as I'm waiting on the plethora of parts that I ordered, as well as the manual. Snowed again today though, so I've no real reason to rush or even get excited.

I went ahead and pulled the airbox in preparation. It would appear that someone has been here before me, as the air screws are already drilled out. Also, the clamps weren't tight on the carbs, and I'd guess she's probably running rich as hell based on the standing gas in the bottom of the filter, but I haven't pulled the spark plugs yet to see what they look like. I reckon I'm going to rebuild the carbs while I have them out, so I'll have to figure out what they are and go from there. Also got the bike up in the air so I could check wheel bearings and then steering bearings...everything feels nice and solid. Chain and sprockets look to be in decent condition, although I'm planning on changing gearing.

Also went ahead and cleaned the shop up a bit so that I could work, and I pushed the SV back into the corner and out of the way so that I can focus and work on the SV. Also, the TUX comes back from the shop tomorrow, but it goes on the other side of the garage.

ShowBizWolf

Nice!! I always enjoy seeing where other people are working on their bikes and what their garage/shop setup looks like.

I've never had the airbox out of my bike before... damn that gives you a really nice view and access to the shock!
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Suzi Q

Well don't judge...it's a new (to us) house and we haven't even moved in yet, so the garage isn't set up. Needs benches, lights, tool boxes....i guess really EVERYTHING that makes a garage a garage.  :icon_lol:

As to the airbox, super easy. Two 12mm bolts hold it in and go in from the sides. There are the two clamps on the carbs. You have to take the allen screws out of the petcock and swing it outside the frame, and then the box will lift out. There is a drain hose that you will either disconnect or pull out...it's routed on the right side underneath the clutch case. For sure makes access easier to everything.

Suzi Q

TUX is back from the shop after new chain, wheel bearings, tubes, clutch cable, brake fluid, tires, spark plug and valve adjustment.

Plan is to finish moving and cleaning garage this week, and then pull the carbs out of the GS to check the jets and see what she's got in her at the moment. Lots of goodies in the mail headed my way...excited to get everything in and get her back on the road.

Suzi Q

I swear I'm almost done tearing this thing apart.

I could tell enough from the carbs that I knew I needed to check the jetting on them...the bowl screws were stripped/mismatched and the air screws were drilled, so I knew someone had been inside at some point. Went ahead and pulled the rack off...stock '04 jetting but the diaphrams are a little jacked. I'll be on the lookout for the BSR rebuild kit, although I can't find it in 34mm.  Will probably call Mikuni tomorrow to see what's up. I also took a quit trip to the store to buy new hex head screws for both the carb bowls and the exhaust header.

I still had some time, so I went ahead and dropped the bolt for the lowering link and yanked the rear shock/spring out of there. It's now a giant, gaping hole.

Parts to do this thing up right should be here this week and I can begin assembly.

Suzi Q

FINALLY got it to upload the photo. More parts missing:

Suzi Q

Also, this awesome bit of hotness showed up today:

Suzi Q

I promise that, some day very very soon, I will let this thread die and I will move over to a build thread. In the meantime though, I'm still taking things apart. Today, the front end came apart. I pulled the forks ahead of a fluid swap as well as some tweaking. It's cold and snowy here...monster storm up in the northeast and the garage isn't heated. It's also slowing down the parts delivery trucks. I'm ready for Amazon(r) teleport. Anyway, I hope others are doing well, staying warm, and biding the time until riding season. Pic below of the current state of affairs. Oh I also removed the tank from the SV. I have been wholly unable to get the cap open, but I need to ditch the bad gas somehow, so the tank came off. GS after the bump.

Suzi Q

I'm also at the limit of more money spent on parts than on the bike itself. By the time I finish out, I'll have more in parts than the bike.  :cookoo:

ShowBizWolf

I passed that $$ line shortly after getting my GS too! It's all good ;)

Suzi Q

The spread right now is $215, and I still need engine oil, carb jets, tires, spare keys and the engine guard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk