News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

ElementRB - GS in OZ

Started by ElementRB, April 10, 2017, 04:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElementRB

Well time for me to post up what I am riding etc.

Been leaning on this forum for info pre purchase of a used GS and also since for various thing.

So I landed on a 2013 GS500 Australian delivered in dark Grey, absolutely love it. Its a LAMS approve bike, and has enough to get me moving at about 105Kg and 6' tall.

Need to do the front fork seals, got them, just gotta spend the time to do them, also ordered some T5 LED's for the dash as they are not bright enough during the day.

The bike as I left it the day I purchased second hand, left it at my brothers before moving it home =)

Profile shot:

Front end:

Having never ridden a bike before, I took the opportunity to ride around my back yard till I have a full licensed rider to take me out... The dogs approved.

Got me use to using the clutch by hand, a very new movement to me, though I have always driven stick.

Father in law has been on two wheels forever and a day, he also had a spool stand he'd made for his SV and made up some arms to suit the GS:

dominickbuff

beautiful bike you got there

peteGS

Nice one and welcome!! Where in Qld do you hang out? Northside Brissie here  :thumb:
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

cbrfxr67

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Suzi Q

What does "LAMS approved" mean?

Also, that dark grey is breathtaking. Was that stock? If it is, I think that's the best looking color I've seen and my new favorite.
Deals on Amsoil if you want it. PM me for details.

ian67

Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme.  We have a list that prevents newbies going too big too soon.

Suzi Q

Quote from: ian67 on April 13, 2017, 10:58:46 PM
Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme.  We have a list that prevents newbies going too big too soon.

I'm all about personal freedom, but that does sound like a really smart idea. I picked up my GS from a kid who had been riding it (and motorcycles in general) for 700 miles and was ready for something faster/morepowerful.

peteGS

It's better than the system we used to have... it used to be a limit of 250cc capacity, which meant larger riders had to look stupid squeezing themselves onto crotch rockets or you'd have to ride a trail bike. It also meant that first time riders were on things like RGV250's but had no clue as to what to do when hitting the two stroke power band.

Now the new rules mean you can ride up to 650cc as long as it's LAMS approved, so it's a lot easier to find a bike to suit you to learn on.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Suzi Q

I'd love to have my hands on an RGV or an RG500.

construct09

ElementRB

Thanks all, and yeah, the Grey is the best i had seen too. As factory as ever =) I've seen a few in that colour, so obviously one of the newer than 2006 colours.

I am on the North Side of Brissie too, Kallangur way, going for my Qride tomorrow. For those outside of QLD/Aus that lets me ride without an instructor =)

I ma stuck to lams restrictions now for 24 months, theni am free to upgrade should i choose too!

Installed LEDs in my dash, have also ordered some dash mount indicator lights to replace the single flahser:.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/14mm-Car-Dashboard-LED-Indicator-Signal-Warning-Light-Bulb-Pilot-Dash-Lamp-12V-/361667184927?var=&hash=item54350b491f:m:m1OwcfHe9BCPoiwdx6ALkXQ

Peace

ShowBizWolf

Those look like pretty nifty items!
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

peteGS

Good stuff... once you're feeling comfortable you'll have to join us one Saturday morning. A bunch of fellas on old GS' and GSX's typically with an odd other bike here and there, meet up in Cashmere and typically head up to Mt Mee via some fun back roads for a brekky chin wag.

Those dash lights look good too. I'm doing a custom dash for my Kat along similar lines to my 450 so depending what I come up with they may come in handy for me too...
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

ElementRB

Sounds good, have done a run over Glorious and Mee on separate rides already.

So close form my place =)

Passed my Qride on Saturday, so ended up doing about 14hours of riding straight.... Did the course with my cousin, ended up going and visiting everyone we knew like a couple of teenagers that just got their freedom on wheels haha

Just gotta wait on parts to land from China now...

Hit me up on FB messenger (dont have FB active anymore, but messenger does) (Jordan Graieg)

Just ordered a pair of bluetooth intercoms (BTI v6) cheap, but good reviews. My cousin and i do a bit of riding now, so went halves.

peteGS

Haha awesome! I remember what it's like to get your license and you just have to ride everywhere :D

I don't do the face thing in any variety I'm afriad, I'm a social media pariah... aside from these forums of course haha

But PM's on here work for sure  :thumb:
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

ElementRB

Hey Pete, no worries. PM me if you are headed out on a weekend run and I will come out if I am free =)

Tidied up the rear end yesterday, got rid of a chucnk of plastic and kept it looking factory.

gregjet

I normally don't like dark coloured motorcycles. but I have to say that is the best a Gs500 looks naked. Really seems to suit the bike shape.
I'm in Bundaberg. My GS is a project bike that hopefully I can get back to now my shed is less than  50degC.

ElementRB

Yeah true, I was swaying away from the darker colour too, but this one caught my eye.

Its not as dark in daylight, contrary to all my dark shed photos =)

ElementRB

Servicing weekends completed =)

Weekend 1:
Chain clean/lube and bike wash
(White lithium grease for the win)

Weekend 2:
Fork seals replaced and heavier weight oil used...
Left fork had moisture in it and the right had a leaky seal.... So much better now!

Weekend 3:
Oil and filter replacement... checked the plugs etc

ShowBizWolf

Looking sharp!! Working on the forks makes a huge difference, for sure! I currently have 20w in my forks but it's not enough for me :icon_sad: gonna upgrade to some sonic springs soon.

Love these bikes in black 8) :cheers:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk