News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Ural Bikes

Started by SPDave, October 20, 2005, 10:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPDave

A buddy of mine wants to start riding and wanted my opinion on Ural bikes.  I don't know anything about them.  Any help?

http://www.ural.com/
If women knew, if they even had the slightest idea of what men were thinking, they'd never stop slapping us.

-Larry Miller

Soaring

does he want to ride or to wrench?  ;) I am not sure what's the quality of these now, but back in Russia I heard a lot of stories of people making this rider->wrencher transformation pretty fast :) on the other hand I think in one of the magazines I've read an article where some european guys (I think German) were saying that they love Urals as they break all the time but never break down completely :)
'90 GS

JetSwing

My hunch was right...Pandy is the biggest Post Whore!

SPDave

Quote from: JetSwingwhy? why? why?

If you knew Tucker, you'd understand.  He also wants a Unimog.

http://www.unimogtrucks.com/products/photo-gallery.asp

Former Marine.  Go figure.

BTW, like your avatar.
If women knew, if they even had the slightest idea of what men were thinking, they'd never stop slapping us.

-Larry Miller

Roadstergal

I know a guy who had a Ural, and he said pretty much the same - fun bikes when they run, and you do have to wrench on them a lot.

Tangentially - check your state's licensing standards.  In WA, sidecar/trike is a different endorsement.

oppy00

Here is a summary of what I know about Ural bikes:

1930's tech, made in a modernish factory.  They look really cool, and are probably a blast to ride, slowly.  Pretty much the same thing as the Royal Enfield, but not made in India.

Tell your friend that it would be a fun man-toy, but he would be better off trying to learn to ride on something more modern (GS, eventhough it is just 70s tech made in a modernish factory).
Black '00  GS500E 
Silver '02 Bandit 1200S

Finally got a good job.  Hooray me!!!

I still love beer.  Hooray me!!!

Cal Price

There is a dealership not too far from here but unless your M8 wants one of those camo-sidecar with machine gun outfits, copies of Soviet and german WW2 machines, I would suggest that there are better and more interesting "novelties" out there.

"What Bike" disagrees they say, it won't rot and are easy to maintain, in UK you can get them much cheaper if you opt for a parts-only warranty.

He may also wish to consider a Royal Enfield, change the cables and tyres or there is a Turkish outfit that bought up the old MZ machinery and rights to the old East German Soviet era bikes. perhaps he would consider a propper motorcycle, like perhaps, a GS500........
Black Beemer  - F800ST.
In Cricket the testicular guard, or Box, was introduced in 1874. The helmet was introduced in 1974. Is there a message??

natedawg120

<threadjack>
I would love to have a unimog.  They are great for one of the things i love to do, offroading.  They are great in everything that is dirty.  If I can ever find one cheap it will be mine, when i have money that is.....

</threadjack>
Bikeless in RVA

Caffeine

I know a guy with a Ural.   Interesting bike, and it definitely starts conversations, but it's not very reliable and parts take a long time to get.   And the thing leaks oil from places I didn't know a bike had oil.
On those days when life is a little too much and nothing seems to be going right, I pause for a moment to ponder the wise last words of my grandfather:  "I wonder where the mother bear is?"

Jeppy

Nice classic look but never seen them before

thirdman

2001 GS500 - repainted Black, 15t front sproket, handlebar risers, partial fenderectomy, self-made custom seat, Broussard Advancer, Chuck Brace
(black is, of course, the fastest color)
IBA #23502

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk