News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

Bike dying at stop lights after warmed up?

Started by furiousbob, November 26, 2014, 09:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

furiousbob

Hi, I just bought a 1999 GS500E with roughly 12k mi on the clock and I've been riding it for about a month now.

Just recently, after having ridden it for 20-30 minutes, it would die when coming to a stop light.  It wouldn't matter if I downshifted or coasted to the stop, it would sputter and cut out.  On every occasion, I would be able to start it again right away but it would then die at the next stop and refuse to start again.  A strong gas smell would usually form.  After pulling it to the side, setting the petcock on prime and cranking it a few times would usually let out a backfire, then start again.  I'd drop it back down to ON and keep riding till i got home.

On the last instance, I pulled the plugs as soon as I got home and discovered some white plugs.  So... lean mixture but gas smell?

I've been reading up on the forums about this issue.  Others with similar problems suggested valve clearance issues, a loose air/fuel mixture screw or bad coils?  I'm thinking maybe a fuel leak or air filter leak?  Since I've owned the bike, the air filter (K&N lunchbox) has fallen off once and I've had to re-attach it to fix an idle bogging issue.

I'm not entirely sure where to start but I'd be great if these symptoms revealed a "smoking gun" solution to any of you guys.

brendan87na

How long does it take for your bike to warm up and idle correctly?  Or does it even idle correctly?

furiousbob

It's been warm where I'm at. At about 75 deg weather it takes a minute or two to warm up with the choke. Idles correctly at 1400

J_Walker

towards the end of the life of my old GS - when the chipped exhaust valves went bad. Riding 2up this would happen - it was under more load then normal. the bike was also running very lean. - when your GS headers turn a dark red from header all the way down to the first bend. in 50 degree weather at night. you might be running lean... lmao

That being said. do the easy work first. Check to make sure you're getting fuel delivery. and pull your spark plugs to check if they are running lean.
-Walker

furiousbob

Ok I'll yank the plugs on next stall to double check.  I did pull em last time maybe 15-20 minutes after it stalled.  Does it matter how long after it stalled to pull the plugs for inspection, though?

Also, easiest way to check for fuel other than yanking the hoses with the motor running and spilling gas all over myself?

Sorry, it's late and I'm durnk.

J_Walker

does not matter, if you're running lean you're running lean. you can check them once the bike is fully warmed up. careful though, they're hot.
-Walker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk