News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Clymer manual Here

Main Menu

GR650 anybody?

Started by Big Rich, June 23, 2014, 09:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Rich

So, since I've had this thing sitting in my signature for years now, I figured I may as well share the actual project part of it here.

First day in the garage (back in 2008):

After going over the entire thing over winter (basically just cleaning / painting / maintenance):

And here it is in its "cafe" trim, parked next to a bone stock GR650 for comparison:

More to come ...
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

Big Rich

Here's how it sits now:

I've been doing a lot of planning, measuring, purchasing, etc for the past couple years. My GS450 took a good bit of time and money (and now that I have a 2 year old son, there isn't much extra time or money). But now that the little GS is done, I can concentrate back on this project.

Once I get some time in the garage, I'll be taking more pictures and posting updates.

GSnoober

I've read the entire build thread over at DTT multiple times now; back in 1983, I thought the Tempter was one of the ugliest motorcycles I'd ever seen. The GR650X (with wire wheels) wasn't quite as bad. Seeing how you transformed that styling nightmare into a work of art was worth the time it took to read all 67 pages, or whatever the page count is these days.

Post more when you can, your build notes are very educational.

Big Rich

Thank you sir. I can't remember seeing you post over there, what's your screen name?

I'm sorry you had to read thru 67 pages of that thread.......I started a new thread since this will be such a different beast though.

But you're absolutely correct about the bike being ugly. Who the f*** came up with the name Tempter? Haha....

peteGS

I haven't logged in to DTT for months now Rich, so it's good to see you posting this here... I might get to follow  :oops:
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Big Rich

All good Pete! I'll try to post the same info here as I do there, but I do forget from time to time.....

First up: the stock foot peg mounts (the white chalk is just a reference for me):

Majority of the mounts are gone, just need to smooth over some edges:

Big Rich

Stock GR swingarm on the right, made of steel and set up for a drum brake. Swingarm on the left is from an 83 GS750 ES. Almost identical, with a few exceptions: aluminum, factory disc brake, 7/8" longer, and the shock linkage is slightly different. Can't really see it in the picture, but the shock is from a Ducati Monster with the stock Suzuki spring installed (the spring rate on the Ducati shock is too stiff):

Big Rich

Aluminum swingarm installed:

I had a friend who is a professional welder work on the shock linkage to retain the stock ride height. Basically one part of the linkage needs to be 1/8" longer.

Big Rich

Stock GR650 tank which holds a measly 3.4 gallons!

When I redid the bike before, I put a tank from a GS450 on, which was a little better at 3.8 gallons...... but I don't like stopping for gas that much. So.......

Big Rich

Go big or go home!

Tank on the left is the 3.8 gallon GS450 tank. On the right is a 5.8 gallon tank from a 1980 GS850.

Big Rich

Problem with the GS850 tank was the width .....so I had to hammer in some knee dents. The red paint is kind of a trial run, but the finish will be similar.

Big Rich

Triple tree from a 1994 RF900, forks from a 2001 Bandit 1200, 43mm clipons from eBay:

Here's the view from the rear:

Big Rich

Fairing bracket from an 86-87 GSXR:

And the neck with mounts welded on:

Big Rich

Bracket mounted up:

From the side:

Big Rich

Upper fairing mount welded to the back bone of the frame (I'll make a Y shape support that connects this to the mirror mounts):

Big Rich

Just an idea of how everything is fitting together so far:

Big Rich

And here's the 3/4 endurance fairing from Airtech loosely mounted up (it doesn't photograph well since it is SO bright and my garage is so dark:

Big Rich

Here are the headlights I'm using:

The one on the right is a 4.25" diameter H4 light from Airtech, and the one on the left is an old Derbi moped light that is about 5" diameter. The reason the Derbi light has been hacked open is to fit one of these

http://stores.advmonster.com/led-lights/

I'm looking at either the model 50 or model 60, and it will be hooked up to a relay coming from the high beam.

Big Rich

Made some VERY rough mounts for the headlights. I wanted to leave enough steel so I can adjust them for ride height.

Behind the fairing:

And messing with electricity :

peteGS

Love your work Rich, looking good! What are you doing for a dash/speedo/etc.? I can't remember what you had on there before...
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk