Thinking of going GSE Back to GSF. Thought?

Started by mathis1337, October 21, 2014, 06:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mathis1337

Hey everyone,

I just recently purchased a GS500 that was once an F, but the owner stripped it to a naked bike. I am not sure I like that look, but I have read on here that everyone seems to love it, but I am not use to the extra wind and everything that comes with it lol. Just wondering what yalls thoughts are. I have the fairings and everything to put back on, but didn't want to go through the hassle. I am wondering if there are any benefits or this is purely a cosmetics things.

Thanks!

PS. I Love my GS500 so far :)

GS500Schultz

why add more weight?
I prefer the naked look. Maybe a small flyscreen might help to get the wind off of you. Still keeps the weight down as well.
You don't own a project bike..
The Project bike owns you!

mathis1337

Thanks, yeah I don't mind the look, though my last bike was a ZX6 and I liked the fairing setup on it. I was just not use to the extra wind this presented. In colder weather its gonna be some mighty fine frost bite coming my way lol. I will post some pics now you guys can tell me what you think. I will post in a few hours or so.

ShowBizWolf

I have an E and I love it... but I'd be lying if I said I have never pictured it with full fairings.  You said that you are on the fence about which look you prefer... I can understand ya there!

Anyway, I have certainly read/heard that fairings do a good job at keeping the wind and cold off of not just your chest but your legs and knees as well.  Also another benefit to fairings would be that it gives you space to play around with adding useful accessories to your bike like Slack did in his Sport Touring Build thread!  http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=58438.40  :thumb:

Finally, from a person who does a fair amount of custom paintwork on things, full fairings give ya a nice amount of space for a cool paintjob  :icon_mrgreen:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

gsJack

The weight difference is not significant, it's only about 16#.  About same as 2-3 gal of gas.

[attachment deleted by admin]
407,400 miles in 30 years for 13,580 miles/year average.  Started riding 7/21/84 and hung up helmet 8/31/14.

gsJack

I like them naked with an aftermarket shield.  I've used a smaller Spitfire summers and bigger Plexi 2 winters changing them twice a year for my 15 GS500/E years.  I've been comfortable doing 400-500 mile 75-80 mph Interstate days with the Spitfire.  Hard to beat the big Plexi 2 here in NE Ohio in January.

407,400 miles in 30 years for 13,580 miles/year average.  Started riding 7/21/84 and hung up helmet 8/31/14.

mathis1337

Yeah I haven't heard anyone defending the GSF look lol. I guess I'll try and put them back on and see if I like it.

AlexT

I went to an E look over the summer and recently changed back to the F. I think I just need a visual change every once in a while.

crispy_22

not a fan of the F fairings, especially that front (upper i think its called?). i feel like it looks kind of top heavy with them. BUT i do think it could use a windshield, flyscreen, or something. I know i wasnt expecting that much wind when i first rode my E...

but do as you wish, and keep everyone posted.  :thumb:

ShowBizWolf

I tend to agree with crispy... not very fond of that upper part of the fairing (around the headlight) and I enjoy having a windscreen on my E.  ;)
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

cbrfxr67

I think the F is fantastic.  If I had a converted E I'd put the fairings back on.  Ok maybe not cause I have enough other stuff to work on but, I'd want to. :thumb:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

mathis1337

Yeah this is what it looks like right now. I think I'd like to repaint it all black and stick the fairings on.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rallyfan

I have an F like yours.

I wish there were an option for a fairing with a round headlamp, or even better, two round headlamps (80s endurance style). I'd switch to that.

mathis1337

Yeah make it like a cafe bobber or something style. That would be cool.

Rallyfan

I'd like a slingshot GSXR or earlier look but I've been unable to find a direct fit fairing solution.

GS500Schultz

why not try something different?

Maybe even swap some Duc fairings onto it. Would look sweet as a 848 replica.
I've seen Hyosung guys swap them on and do the single side swing arm. Looks sweet!

mathis1337

GS500Schultz,

I have not seen that, do you have any pictures you could post? I think I am going to do a customer fairing/paint job now. I have gotten all the paint and need to start priming. Had to reorder the front fairing bracket as I don't know what I did with it lol.

GS500Schultz

not a problem here is the website. http://mizitest.blogspot.com/

here are the pics they did an R6 and a 1098 fairing swap

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk