News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

Gold Coast SMART Rider Training Review (Level 1, 2, 2a Masterclass & Level 3)

Started by mister, July 11, 2012, 05:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mister

I'm currently booked in for all four levels of the SMART (Safer Motorcycle Advanced Rider Training) course held on the Gold Coast. The levels are 1, 2a, 2b and level 3. And what I'll do here is do a write up of each level as I complete them. So we start with Level One...

Gold Coast SMART (Safer Motorcycle Advanced Rider Training)

Level 1

Being the first to arrive I had the pick of the seats at the oval shaped table. As others arrived we self-introduced ourselves and engaged in some small talk and then the Classroom Component began. We ran through Obstacle Identification, Road Positioning in relation to traffic, Road Positioning for corners, stopping and reaction times, anticipation of other drivers, Safety Gear, etc. We then headed outside.

Once outside we had some more talk about what the day would entail, the route we would take (see the route here), counter-balancing for slow speed sharp turns with demonstration, and we were sectioned off into smaller groups where we had another brief chat. Then we were off to our first stop - B on the route - and encouraged to watch the instructor's road positioning and cornering etc. along the way.

At B we had a discussion about braking distances with a demonstration, as well as chat about other safety related things. One notable point raised here was one of Speed Expectations. That is, if you're in a 60 zone You Expect others to be doing 60 and they likewise. So if you're doing 80 on a bike and they pull out in front of you, remember, they were Expecting you to be doing 60 not 80.

It was here where the instructor followed someone in our smaller groups. In this case I was the only one who knew the way to our next stop so I was leading and followed by the instructor. The idea is to slowly begin implementing the small tips they have given you - eg, lane positioning, cornering, setting up the brakes on approach to intersections and traffic lights, etc.

Upon arrival at point C the instructor would then tell you his observations of your riding. In my case he said I used a narrow section of the road not going too far either side of my lane. Which was odd considering I had come within inches of white lines on both side of my lane during the ride. But, it was only later, after following him, I knew what he Meant but didn't say. After the individual chats we have another group discussion about other riding aspects.

From this point another rider takes the lead with instructor following until we reach the the next stop, D. I chose to sit at the very back this time so I could assess the other riders in my group. I quickly discovered the fellow on the fastest bike was the worst rider. Oh, what were we all riding? I was on the Honda 919, one fellow on a Ducati Monster 800ie, another on a CBR250R and another on the MV Brutale - the worst / slowest / least-capable rider.

The instructor was following the CBR guy and we were just doing speed limit. But the fellow on the Brutale could not keep up in the bends. It was driving the Ducati fellow and me quite nuts. BUT, even though he was slow at least he was SAFE and did not try to exceed his current abilities. But as we came towards our lunch stop the MV guy nearly ran over someone at a pedestrian crossing. I mean, there were mere inches in it as he failed to stop prior to the crossing and stopped mid crossing and bumping their plastic shopping bag with the front of his bike! Again the rider feedback for the CBR fellow was "not using the whole road". Hmmm.... what he said to me. Ok. Let's see.

After we had more group chat about routine maintenance like checking oil and lubing chains we were off. The instructor followed the Ducati and I followed him, leaving Snailman to fall behind further and further at each bend. Even though we were only going slow and there was no Need to use the entire lane, the instructor was using the entire lane as if it was the preferred racing Line regarding corner approach and whatnot. He was even getting his ass off from one side to the other, even though it was not needed. It was rather interesting to watch from behind. All the way to stop E. Where the feedback was again, not using the entire road. And he asked if I could see the difference in lines between the rider up front and him. I acknowledged it and told him I now knew what he meant by "not using the entire road". He iterated about bending the elbow that is on the inside of bends and that what he was actually doing by sliding around was not getting his bum off the seat but getting his inside leg forward, the bum half off was a side effect of that, which gave him better elbow bend and thus handlebar control in addition to changing the center of gravity to more inside so the bike could be more upright. And he said he did it, even though he did not Need to cause the corners and speed did not require it, as a form of practice to keep it fresh in his mind.

Another group discussion and we were off to stop F. Snailman was leading our group. And again the feedback at point F was.... not using the whole road. I think it was unfortunate for snailman that he could not keep up and get to See what the instructor was doing when he was following. Otherwise he may have used the entire road. And this last bit was kinda funny as snailman used his line and the rest followed the instructor through the racing lines. And it reminded me of one time I went skiing. The balcony of the ski lodge overlooked the training area. So over breakfast we watched a group of beginners arrive for their free lesson - a lesson which taught them to Snowplough. After the lesson they were offered an additional lesson for a few bucks. Most took it but some didn't. The additional lesson included Slope time to implement the new Parallel Turns skill just taught in the training area. After brekky we headed off to the slopes. And we came across the training group who had opted to learn parallel turns and they were doing well. While we also encountered a couple of those who had chosen no extra lesson - still struggling to get snowploughing down pat. Here they were, started skiing for the first time, at the same time, but a few hours later some were no better while others had taken advice onboard and were doing well. I thought, snailman has heard nothing and is implementing nothing and is doing his own thing still - including constantly forgetting to turn off his indicator.

Anyway. Arriving at G we had more chat about additional riding aspects and were given a small certificate to say we had passed Level 1.

I felt the day was a tad long for what it entailed. Don't get me wrong, there is some quite useful stuff presented. But we really didn't get on the road until maybe two hours after it began. And in the end you could see people were getting antsy to just be done with. I also understand, the instructors do not know everyone's abilities or riding stamina so need to structure it in small doses. Be interesting to see how the next levels progress. I'll update this thread as I do them.

Michael
GS Picture Game - Lists of Completed Challenges & Current Challenge http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGame and http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGameList2

GS500 Round Aust Relay http://tinyurl.com/GS500RoundAustRelay

Twisted

Level one sounds like the Q ride course. One quick question....do you have to complete level one to go on and do level 2 or can you request to do level 2 straight up?

mister

You can do level 2 straight up. But you cannot do 2b unless you have done 2a and cannot do level 3 unless you have done 2b.

Michael
GS Picture Game - Lists of Completed Challenges & Current Challenge http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGame and http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGameList2

slipperymongoose

I did transition a few weeks ago and my opinion pretty much mirror your final thoughts Michael. Though my group looked like they just passed their q ride which most did and we also had a couple snails one of which on a 650gs and played the high n mighty safety riding card while name dropping her secretary of the BMW rider club husband. And another girl on a 250 intruder who left her indicators on and scooted her bike at slow speed with woobly handlebars. But I can only do level one and wait a couple years to do levels 2 and up.
Some say that he submitted a $20000 expense claim for some gravel

And that if he'd write a letter of condolance he would at least spell your name right.

mister

Upcoming dates for levels...

July 21   Level 1   (final day to book - July 13)
July 22   Level 2   (final day to book - July 13)
August 4   Level 2a   (final day to book - July 27)
August 5   Level 3   (final day to book - July 27)
August 18   Level 1   (final day to book - August 10)
August 19   Level 2   (final day to book - August 10)
September 8   Level 2a   (final day to book - August 31)
September 9   Level 3   (final day to book - August 31)

I'm doing Level 2 on July 22, Level 2a on Aug 4 and Level 3 on Sep 9

To make a booking call them on (07) 5667 3624 - they cannot take credit card over the phone but can do a credit card thing via fax. Also, they post (not email) the info and forms to fill out. If time is of the essence you may convince them to email a single date's paperwork to you. All payment must be made to the council, you cannot pay on the day.

Michael

mister

Level 2

Once again I was first to arrive in the meeting room. Tea poured, biscuits in hand, I awaited for the others to arrive. Some faces from the previous course, mostly new faces though, including some who were Starting at this level. In the classroom we again ran through Obstacle Identification, Road Positioning in relation to traffic, Road Positioning for corners, stopping and reaction times, anticipation of other drivers, Safety Gear, etc., but this time in a little more detail with some added information. Then we headed into the carpark.

This section was similar inasmuch as slow riding demo, but we also had a discussion about posture and head position while riding with demonstration to follow. And while you may think, "yeah yeah, keep your eyes level blah blah blah" there is a bit more to it than that. And it is those subtle differences that help improve your riding.

Again we headed off to Point B on the route which can be seen here. This time the discussion was about road positioning to help be seen with a demonstration how easy it can be to be unseen by turning cars. Then it was time for the instructor to follow the students as we made our way to Point C.

This is a lovely section of road for bike riding. It has sweepers and tighter bends and is uphill. Unfortunately, it is also the road a lot of Sunday Drivers use to go to the various picnic spots further along it. While we did catch such drivers it was only two thirds of the way in so we had a good run before stopping at point C.

The discussion at Point C was about taking corners going Downhill and the techniques to help achieve that better. Which was good timing because the run down to Point D was pretty well all downhill from this point. And again, a good two thirds or three quarters was done before we caught slow moving cars.

At Point D we discussed some more body positioning on the bike for better cornering and handling and then it was my turn to be followed to Point E via Clagiraba Rd. A lovely road with some nice and smooth twists.

Arriving at Point E my feedback was all positive. Which is to say, he had seen no fault in my utilization of the techniques we had been taught. My entry and exit to corners was spot on, my body position on the bike was spot on, all good. Then it was lunch where we talked a little about techniques but mostly other stuff like bike rule changes, how someone becomes a motorcycle instructor, silly things we'd seen, that kind of thing.

Then we were off to Point F. This is also a nice section of road that you can see is not a main thoroughfare - if you want to go from E to G you can see you do not go via F. So it is a favorite for motorcycle riders. Many Rossi wannabes unfortunately. But otherwise a good run up to our stopping point. Here we talked about peg clearances, lean angles, throttle control and then headed off to our last stop. We did encounter some slow cars on a bit of a sightseeing run, but otherwise the pace was good enough we could get more practice in on using the techniques.

At our last stop we had a summary of what we'd covered, we got our Certificates, much to the joy of one fellow who had asked three or four times if we were going to get certificates, and generally had a bit of a chin wag about training in general. All up a better day than previous due to better riders all round, shorter day, more enjoyable route and added info and new info presented.

Next up... Level 2A

Twisted

How did level 2a go? That Ducati looked nice. Was it a GT?

slipperymongoose

Some say that he submitted a $20000 expense claim for some gravel

And that if he'd write a letter of condolance he would at least spell your name right.

mister

Quote from: Twisted on August 07, 2012, 01:20:40 AM
How did level 2a go? That Ducati looked nice. Was it a GT?

I don't know such things - GT. But the fellow is doing Level 3 with me on Sep 9 so I can find out. I do know it is a 1975 model with no indicators and is legal that way.

I'll finish my write up and then post it in a day or so.

Michael

mister

Level 2a Masterclass

Once again I arrived first, made myself a tea, grabbed a couple of biscuits and sat in my Usual seat. This time, upon getting my name ticked off, I received a ball cap as well as another polo shirt and free pen. Ah, the goodies.

This time a lot of the classroom time was taken with Us giving feedback about things We have experienced on the roads and how We dealt with them and what solution we came up with. Lots of little things about how we can Read the traffic to Anticipate what it is doing. Some more on lines into and out of corners, road positioning for obstacles and other vehicles and so on. Then it was time to head outside.

We again talked about body position while riding and how best to position the head for taking corners while maximizing our vision. Correct position for legs, arms, elbows, and so on. And we had a demonstration on rear brake vs front brake vs both brakes then headed onto the road ride.

Once again we rode to the same first stop place (see route here) and talked about things we could do to prepare for longer trips. And how we could manage our fatigue. Then it was time for the Following part - where the instructor follows a rider. Again I was the only one who knew the route so was followed for quite a way until the second stop, which was our lunch stop. The feedback I was given was not directed at me exactly but was presented as a Group Lesson after lunch so it was fresh in everyone's mind. Which was basically... while the more advanced cornering techniques will certainly help when tackling sharper bends and when riding faster itself, it is good to practice them even on bends which do not require them, or when riding slow, to help develop Muscle Memory.

It was time to leave and I was still the only one who knew the way. So what we did this time was... I lead, then another rider followed, then the instructor followed him, then when enough was seen the instructor would wave the next person in front, and so on, until the other three in our group had been observed. There was a small prearranged regroup stop where the instructor had us stay on the bike and adjusted our posture ever so slightly before we rode off again. The idea being, we now take the upcoming corners with this New posture as we hit the bends.

After this leg we pulled up at stop 3. Our feedback was a round of applause from the instructor and a comment "you guys don't need me any more". And a group discussion about other vehicles and it was asked that we be Dynamic on this next leg and to move around on the bike when cornering even if it was not needed. My small group had already been doing this anyway.

Leaving from this stop I again was in front, the other riders in our small group behind me, then the instructor watching us all. At this final stop the instructor took me aside to tell me how smooth and natural I was using the techniques and to ask me if the new posture made it easier - to which I replied it did. He said my transitions from one side of the bike to the other were smooth, my lines were spot on and he didn't think there was anything else he could teach me. I was the only rider he talked to one on one like this.

At this stop we talked about fatigue, its signs, how to manage it and we shared various experiences of our own, as we had done at the previous stops as well. And then it was time for the final leg. This one lead by our instructor. The day was dragging on a little now so it was good we had talked about fatigue management previously. At the final stop we mainly chatted about our day, thanked each other and I found out two of the three other riders in my group would be doing the Level 3 Class with me in September.

Michael

mister

Level 3

Arrived and received complimentary polo shirt, cap and pen. Entered the boardroom, made myself a tea, grabbed a catering biscuit two-pack and went back to my seat to fill out the same paperwork I'd already filled out previously.

This time we had a motorcycle police officer there who allowed us to ask any questions of him at all - from what speed cameras tolerances are, and so on. Quite insightful. We also covered much of the same stuff - corner positioning, entry points, exit points, gearing, braking, speed, etc. A bit about bike crashes and other classroom interaction, then time to ride.

As always we were put into groups. My group was the First group. Which, as far as I could tell, was made up of the most capable riders as determined by the instructors who'd seen us all ride on previous classes. Again we followed the instructor to our first stop for a chat about fatigue. And as before, I then was lead rider until next stop. And my feedback was essentially "nothing to add". Not in as many words but more like, "It's good to see you using the techniques on all the corners and your riding and transitioning is very smooth." So he couldn't fault me and had nothing to add to improve my riding. Sweet!

At this stop which was kind of lunch, we talked about riding in different weather and on different roads then time for the next leg. The route would be different than planned and a more enjoyable one I felt. And so we rode up to our usual stop on the way to Springbrook and talked about riding with pillions. And then it was time to go on our last leg. The idea was, two bikes would lead followed by the instructor. I also let the other two in our group take off first with me coming up the rear.

Well, first rider failed to take the correct turn. The second rider followed him with the instructor signaling us to turn as discussed. The third rider pulled up. The fourth rider slowed to signal to keep going. I went around them and then they filed in behind me. Back down the mountain we went, back onto Numinbah and into Nerang. At a set of lights the 3rd rider (now behind me) pondered if we should have stopped. I said "no" and we rode in to the final stop as had been discussed.

Not a real lot of discussion at the end this time. Everyone received their certificates and left.

While there was not a great deal of New stuff learned this run, there was Some stuff and that makes it worthwhile. I feel this was more of a reinforcement / fine tuning class as by this stage everyone should know what they are doing.

Interestingly, the guy on the fastest bike in our group (BMW SR100RR) was also the least capable rider. I got talking with a fellow on a BMW 800ST and he showed me how he had modified it for more comfortable riding (handlebar wise as the stock bars are too low and too far forward) without needing to replace the cables as BMW had told me would need to be done. Fellow in our group on a Bandit 1250 told me when I test rode one and slide forward I Could have raised the front of the seat (there is a setting). The woman in our group was riding around in a CBR600 without being licensed to do so, simply by having an L on the bike and riding with another rider cause she thought that was ok without realizing it was not. And other chit chat and bike stuff and sharing of riding stories with others in the class at various stops along the way - not in a group way but during one on one chats.

All up, the classes were worth the money and I'd recommend them to all riders regardless of current skill levels.

Michael

AussieChick

Do you know if they're running this kind of thing again? it appears I've missed all the 2012 dates :( this seems like exactly the kind of rider training I'd like/need!

I feel that, while experience will obviously make me a better rider, I need feedback to tell me specifically what I can improve on!

mister

They (the HART instructors) are pretty confident there will be another set of lessons available next year. However, they did encourage us all to email to let that part of the council know how much we got out of it - and - that we would all have been willing to pay more money. The idea being that if council is a little timid in spending the money, they would be more willing if the students paid more and they less.

It was $45 a class and $60 would be fine, saving council $15 a head per class. While only a saving of $300 per class, with a class on Saturday on Sunday each weekend for  almost 6 months (26 weeks) that's a potential saving to council of up to $7,800. If every little bit helps such a saving might push them over the line. - So the thinking goes.

We will see, though. I'll keep up to date with this as I have the council contact details.

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk