GS500 K2 for sale - MOT, rides OK, 13K miles, but rattling badly (Edinburgh UK)

Started by MikeT-UK, October 17, 2018, 01:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT-UK

GS500 K2 for sale - MOT, rides OK, 13K miles, but rattling badly (Edinburgh UK)

Sadly selling my 2002 GS500 as I don't have the space to fix it - but hoping someone here does.
Open to swaps / part exchange for something working.
Also open to if anyone is local and wants to quote to swap the engine - I don't have a garage to do it myself.
If you feel like you can diagnose it just by listening, feel free to let me know! (Some debate on my only other post on this forum, but I haven't the space to get into it - maybe an easy fix for someone else).

Have a look / listen:

New MOT (expires end Sep 2019), only 13K miles, running and rides OK, but a bad engine rattle.
Gets better with revs but rattle still there. Rides OK, has plenty of power, but with that noise I've not been taking it far. It also likes to stall when dropped to idle unless really warmed up.
Everything else is just fine.

One garage thought it was just cam chain but never got around to looking at it properly and gave it back to me (it's not just the tensioner).
Another better garage decided it's not the cam chain, but just the balance shaft (twisting a spanner on the balance shaft can produce the same knocking sound) - and not worth fixing and I should keep running it and ignore the rattle!
I fear it may be worse, needs proper investigation and I don't have a garage to strip the engine in.
Tries to stall when riding and you drop to idle (at lights etc), unless warmed up for a long time. This may just be a separate problem, like just the carbs, but I haven't managed to tweak it out.

If I had a garage I'd be stripping it down. It may be just a cam chain (or tensioner blades), or just the starter clutch, or someting else obvious, but needs some investigation. It may be fixable, or an ideal bike to swap an engine in if you have one.

Bad points:
as above!
I've not been polishing and oiling it as much recently due to the more serious problem so some surface rust from sittig around, could do with a clean up. General cosmetic fatigue.
Front tyre is an MOT advisory (the only one), needs changing very soon.

Good points:
Fresh MOT - one advisory on front tyre.
2 previous owners with service history, and my own log since of oil changes etc (it has been maintained properly)
Newish rear tyre
Newish rear sprocket and chain.
Fresh battery, heated grips, data tool immobiliser,

Located in central Edinburgh (Marchmont), pick up a bargain that you can ride home and fix over the winter. Or use it as a winter hack if you want!

MikeT-UK

PM'd you with a price and my phone number.

But I'm open to anyone's opinions / advice on what I should get for a low mileage, on the road, "partial runner".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk