News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamahonkawazuki

Shepa, i remember the original writeup on this. was wondering whatever happened. now we know. do you own a camera, if so ill send you a mount for it. free of charge. let me know.
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Shepa

Quote from: yamahonkawazuki on August 05, 2012, 05:48:35 PM
Shepa, i remember the original writeup on this. was wondering whatever happened. now we know. do you own a camera, if so ill send you a mount for it. free of charge. let me know.
The thing is, I could make a video with my cellphone, or some Sony CyberShot I have somewhere, but in fact... I'm just too lazy to figure something out, compared to riding...
When I throw my leg over the seat and start the engine, the last thing on my mind is video, sorry...  :angel:

I'll have to ask Tesla or somebody, to make a flyby video (maybe, just maybe even today), and if that comes out right, I'll make that gs-wiki DIY camera holder for this CyberShot of mine.
I promise.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

cbrfxr67

I just can't resist sharing with you guys.  I'm having a blast with this!  I was going to keep a log and post it all after I was done but too much fun not to share.  I love this stuff.  Comments welcome as always,.....

Rebooted my project after breaking a T in the carburetor and sick of dealing with carbs. Started stripping the frame. Pulled most of wiring and cooling system. Tonight want to drop engine and rest of miscellaneous & get ready to figure out how to start on 929 install.

Finished dropping the engine and stripping odds and ends. Thinking of completely cutting off the tail and redoing it. Working on lining up a gas mig to fab with instead of my old stick. May drop the swingarm and forks to have better maneuverability on fabbing up supports for 929 engine.

You can see this is going to be a challenge to make this work. Going to be figuring out a new airbox set up for sure.

Removed the harness and started looking over where my support points are going to be. Still debating if it'd be easier to work with the frame minus forks and swingarm or do it the way I did the 600.

New cover. The old one has a nice crack in it. Ran out of time before I swapped over the stator.

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Replaced stator cover yesterday. Giant crack right there but hard to see in pic. Used factory gasket even though I've had great results with rtv. Figured I'd try the gasket since I had it already (From PO).
Scored a mig from work (thanks boss!) and need to get some gas and regulator since we are out. Thinking of using my engine hoist to maneuver engine around. Might be easier than wrestling with it and using my back like last time.

Picked it up off the floor with my hoist. I'm wondering if it will be easier to use the hoist to hold it up while angling it right in the frame. Today hope to get it more in position after I cut away my old mounts and the frame brace.

Got the radiator off and it isn't much bigger than the 600 engine. Exhaust and airbox are going to be the tricky parts.

Lining up and looking for ideas on how to do it. I'm thinking of welding support bars that go to each mounting hole in the block then across to meet each other which would eliminate the lower frame brace that the factory used, enabling the engine to be part of the whole support structure. Will have to weld in added support as Shepa tried this with his 600 swap and the frame flexed.

Cut out the engine mounts I made for the 600 and also Suzuki's as well. Left the two mid top ones. Next'll be to start lining it up and see how hard it will be to make it fit. Fun fun fun :)

Cutting

Finally got it set up after cutting more of the lower frame out. Even had to cut off the damn kickstand. Was pretty happy with how it lined up though. Even the lower exhaust cleared.

Extra wide. The blade's motor is offset which makes it even more asymmetrical in a conventional frame. I may have to counterbalance on the left side later, depending on balance issues. Funny how the throttle bodies still are close to center even when the majority of the right side is hanging out.  Guys on cf said it can't be done. pffffff

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Lining up sprockets.

First bracket. I really enjoy making brackets, bending them and getting them to work. This was a piece of plate I found at work; thick and sturdy. Using it for the top bolt in's that I didn't cut out. Once I get these in, I believe I can roll the hoist out and just use the floor jack while working on the other mounts.

Bolted in my hangers yesterday which allowed me to remove the hoist. I may or may not keep the hangers in the end but for now they keep it in place so I can start welding in my mounts and finally frame triangulation to support the frame like the lower frame did stock.

Left side hanger.

More bolt in supports. These are on the bottom using the center stand mounts.

Center stand support mounts on the bottom, for bolt in mounts. May or may not leave these on after doing the weld in supports.

First weld on support, upper middle. That shiny mess is where I cut off my old supports for the 600. Definitely clean it up eventually.

Made the second weld on bracket yesterday. Hope to weld these on this afternoon and work on the next pair. Then onto creating the front brace that will meet up with the cylinders on both sides.

Atd mig that boss gave me a deal on so I could get it. Wish I had this years ago!

Cutting out second pair of weld on supports. Got the first pair in yesterday. REALLY happy with atd mig. SUch a huge difference from what I had before. Tacking in mounts good and sturdy then will drop engine, weld them in solid, clean up and paint then put engine back in.

-buddha

cbrfxr67

Made second pair of brackets yesterday. Came out good and once again mig so much easier to use in getting them welded on. Next is front frame add on, bent down to front mounts on cylinders. Will likely be the hardest part to make. Ordered 4 foot section x 1-1/8" with .065 wall, mild steel. Then decide on whether to reinforce frame for support or weld on lower triangulation (vfr style) for strength.

Got my steel in but somehow ordered 1 7/8" instead of 1 1/8". Maybe it was meant to be. It is pretty damn big. Figured I'd give it a shot nonetheless. If anything, make it a practice effort and then get some smaller diameter tubing. Cut into smaller lengths then beat the hell out of the end to make it flat, cut to taper, welded seam, drilled mount hole and set up with bushing. I'm hoping if I use this, blacked out, size wouldn't be too noticeable.

Welding seam on second mount.

Working on frame hangers. Not sure about these yet. They are pretty big. Maybe when it is all done and blacked out it'll give it a beefy look. Not sure.

Working on frame hanger. Trying to get it angled right. Trimming it to match the frame geometry is difficult.

Welding right hanger together

I don't know, I'm kind of digging it. Kind of reminds me of a spider leg, or alien stabbing arm thingy. heheh

Not as obnoxiously noticeable now. I think with frame matching paint that it'll be good.
Set up and ready to weld to frame. Going to do the other side and then weld both onto the frame at the same time.

left side hanger,....working on angle with magnetic help.

Topview. Thinking these will be excellent support to mold in and hold my dual radiators/shrouds.

Weld & blend. Next will be weld to the frame on both sides.

Couldn't use the hoist to get the engine out. The holes I need to use now are used by the hangers. The ones I used before were too close to frame add ons. So did it this way cause I didn't want to stress my tack welds.

Took it outside to get better pic of supports. Looks like it has no guts. Total it has TEN mounting points to the frame. I think that's enough.

Started welding in my strong welds. Even the tack welds were so much better than what I'd done before. Amazing difference in welders.
Really like how tapping it with the hammer goes from 'tink tink tink' to 'donk donk donk' after you weld it up.

-buddha

knowles

WOW i like it. wish you lived around me so i could have you weld the bracket on the steering tube so i could finish my faring project. i like to see someone doing something different. keep going. HAve you thought about just making a frame from scratch? jsut a thought :thumb:
1989 GS 500EK

cbrfxr67

Hey knowles,...title & paperwork scares me to go full on BUILD like that.  I have clean paperwork on the GS so I chose to reboot from the 600 instead of do something different & continue dealing with those jacka** carbs. 

Definitely WANT and trying to build something different.  If it works cool, if not, figure out another way to make it work.

And we could weld that thing on in ten minutes.  Sometimes I wish somebody lived close by just to hang, ride, build, bs, with.

-buddha

cbrfxr67

Just welding up the supports.  Did right side yesterday,...

Worked on welding up the left side today. Cleaned up welds and now will redo a couple of small spots then prime all the brackets out and go to next step.
-buddha

steezin_and_wheezin

yeah! will be looking this over closer next week when i have a spare hour!! looks great so far mang :thumb:
if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

cbrfxr67

Yesterday cleaned up welds, then re-did a few spots.  Wire wheeled & flap disk then painted them with a heavy coat of black enamel.  Not sure if I'll come back and paint or just leave it this way.  Ready to put engine back in and get to work on the air box.  Last time I saved the airbox for late in the build & it confounded me for quite awhile.  This time I want to start on it first.

kickstand

Putting engine back in. Left side didn't line up and wasn't obvious 'why.' Ran out of time before I could get the left side frame add-on bolted in. All the rest lined up great. Very easy to take it out or install.
-buddha

Funderb

you're shitting me! did you even ride the previous one? you're crazy! hahaha
Black '98 gs500 k&n Lbox, akrapovic slip-on, kat600 shock, progressive sproings, superbike handlebars, 40/147.5/3.5washers

"I'd rather ride then spend all my time fiddling trying to make it run perfectly." -Bombsquad

"Never let the destination cast a shadow over your journey towards it- live life"

Phil B

Quote from: Funderb on August 18, 2012, 08:01:38 PM
you're shitting me! did you even ride the previous one? you're crazy! hahaha

He's just practicing for his REAL target:

cbrfxr67

Phil I've often wondered what the range would be on a bike like that!  And Funder, nothing to brag about.  Went to change up some fuel lines and cracked a T in the bank and stood there for a few minutes cursing.  Finally gave the 600 the bird and started taking it apart.

Trim, trim and trim somemore. The frame being so close on each side makes this a real annoying feat.

Cut the velocity stacks in half to see if they'd fit.

Kept cutting. Ended up with a gasket for the grooves in the throttle body. Made a 'rough draft' box that sits on top of this but phone battery died and didn't get pic. I think when I rebuild the box in straight material, it will work. Completely based on Shepa's design.
-buddha

xunedeinx

cbrfxr67

xune!  Honored at your presence good sir!

One from last week as I was whittling it down to see how much I could keep.

Template for my box. Worked on this for quite awhile last week. Ordered some clean new plate to redo it and also make the top portion. Planning to cut a hole then pod filter mounts on that.

Got my front 16t x 520 yesterday so checked it with the chain. Unfortunately chain is prob going to be too short so will get another one sooner or later.

There is ALOT of room under the tank. Will have to remake some panels to cover cavernous gaps. Was going to move battery to the tail and re-do it, but it will mount under tank easily, along with electronics and spare tire, toolbox maybe couple extra helmets,..ok it just seems that big under there.  :laugh:

I don't particularly like the lines of this tank compared to the 900rr tank but the fuel pump is IN the 929 tank, so not much I can do otherwise.
-buddha

bombsquad83

Kinda looks like a hump back whale.  Any way to get the fuel pump out of the tank?

GI_JO_NATHAN

Liking it all... except the tank of course.

This bike is begging for USD forks and a different swing arm.
Jonathan
'04 GS500
Quote from: POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks.
Get with the program!

JollyRojer

whew ya that tank would make riding for somone like me a pita (5'4) but its your bike long as its comfortable go to town, browsed this entire build you do some very clean clean work, this gs is my first bike (and attempt at bike mods) but im no stranger to fabricating good to see somone else doing some serious fab work on these lil rockets.
- Ian
93 gs500e - Chopped and wrapped exhaust, custom baffle, Chopped sub-frame, Chopped seat, Clipons, K&N lunchbox, 45T rear sprocket,  my mean little sewing machine.

cbrfxr67

bomb I don't think it'd be worth the aggravation to try and make it work in another tank.  I guess it's possible but  :mad:

Still waiting for my material so turned to the tank.  I've fixed a few crapped out tanks before but I'm not sure about this one.  REALLY f'd up.  Terrible bondo job from whoever had it previously.  The bondo isn't the hard part, the whole tank is whopped.

No prep, no nothing under this huge glop of bondo/fiberglass resin.  Couple of prys and it popped right out.  How the hell do you get a dent like that anyway??  And I wonder how much gas capacity is lost from it,......(facepalm)

Hey jolly, welcome to the forum!  I like to think I DW like any average guy in his garage, no cnc, no plasma cutter, no high end stuff, just basic tools and figuring out how to make it work.  Thanks for the comment!  Opinions always welcome.
-buddha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk