News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

installing some progresssive springs on my F today!

Started by airbrush, September 25, 2004, 07:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airbrush

throwin in some progressive springs to eliminate the soft front end...i'll let you know what i think of the difference when im done. :)
jeff - 2004GS500F...custom paint by me, :)

-Maker of GS500 rear huggers/GS500 keychains - get yours

www.custom-airbrush.com
jeff@custom-airbrush.com

Ed_in_Az

Quote from: airbrushthrowin in some progressive springs to eliminate the soft front end...i'll let you know what i think of the difference when im done. :)

If the F model has the same mushy springs as the E, the difference will be like night and day. You're going to love it. :cheers:
Retired from biking

TheGoodGuy

post pics of the old springs and all.

i know the 2004 has newer type of shocks up front.. so pics would be real handy.
'01 GS500. Mods: Katana Shock, Progessive Springs, BobB's V&H  Advancer Clone, JeffD's LED tail lights & LED licence plate bolt running lights, flanders superbike bars, magnet under the bike. Recent mods: Rejet with 20/62.5/145, 3 shims on needle, K&N Lunch box.

airbrush

Got er all done....quite a difference...the bike feels alot more solid now. No more hard nose dives when braking hard. :cheers:  Definitely much better than stock.

www.custom-airbrush.com
jeff@custom-airbrush.com

robo

Hey, im looking to put some in too. Where did you get them from?
Blue GS500F

sys49152

Quote from: roboHey, im looking to put some in too. Where did you get them from?

Me too!  Did you pick them up locally, or order them from the US?

ollie357

Hey, I just did the same with my '04 F yesterday! It used to bottom out at least 3-4 times a day around boston, so far not once! But I have a question, do your progressives make a slight squeek, like a bed-spring when you come to a stop? I didn't measure the oil level, just put them in with a 1 inch spacer. I assumed that with the additional volume the progressives wouldn't need more oil in the forks. Perhaps the top half of the spring needs to be coated with more oil? :dunno:

BTW, I ordered mine directly from Progressive, online. I used the ones made for whatever latest model gs they offered them for.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.....

"Back off man! I'm a scientist."
-Dr. Peter Venkman

airbrush

i ordered mine locally...nope no squeaking with mine...just took the old ones out...new ones in and put 3/4 inch spacers in..done.

www.custom-airbrush.com
jeff@custom-airbrush.com

sys49152

Quote from: airbrushi ordered mine locally...

That's great!  Any chance it was somewhere in Toronto?  If so, could you post the location?  Thanks!

Ed_in_Az

Quote from: ollie357But I have a question, do your progressives make a slight squeek, like a bed-spring when you come to a stop? I didn't measure the oil level, just put them in with a 1 inch spacer. I assumed that with the additional volume the progressives wouldn't need more oil in the forks. Perhaps the top half of the spring needs to be coated with more oil? :dunno:

I've got a 2000 model. Mine squeeked a bit at first and had a sort of ticking noise. I even disassembled and checked it = nothing wrong. It went away after awhile. As long as they move smoothly you should be fine. I did lower the oil level as directed. The difference in ride is terrific, eh? :thumb:
Retired from biking

boredman111

I am a computer guy not a mechanic, but I have done some mod.s.  Fender elimination, Lighter adapter, Blinkers...

Do you think a rookie could do this?
Ride? Hell ya, why walk?

Ed_in_Az

Quote from: boredman111I am a computer guy not a mechanic, but I have done some mod.s.  Fender elimination, Lighter adapter, Blinkers...

Do you think a rookie could do this?

Following instructions found on or associated with this site you should be OK. Since the caps on top of the forks are aluminum, I would say the most critical step is being exceedingly careful not to cross thread them when putting them back on. I'd also recommend lowering the oil level as instructed, but some have left it alone without any problems.

PS I'm a computer guy too :cheers:
Retired from biking

Kerry

Quote from: Ed_in_Az
Quote from: boredman111I am a computer guy not a mechanic
I'm a computer guy too :cheers:
Me too.  :thumb:
Yellow 1999 GS500E
Kerry's Suzuki GS500 Page

boredman111

I think we all know you are a GOD!

Master of All

I bow before you humbly..... :thumb:
Ride? Hell ya, why walk?

ollie357

Yeah, the squeek has gone away a bit. Its just that between the squeeking front fork and the squeeking rear brake I felt I was playing the accordian every time I came to a stop.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.....

"Back off man! I'm a scientist."
-Dr. Peter Venkman

glenn9171

As for the ease of installation, it's pretty simple.  I put mine on the center stand and put some weight on the rear to get some of the weight off the front end.  Maybe not necessary, but I did it anyway.  Removed handlebar from triple tree and moved it forward out of the way.  Remove only one of the fork caps and gently used a coat hanger to remove the old spacer and spring.  Drop new spring in the fork.  Carefully replace cap without cross-threading.  Repeat for other fork.  On my '01 model, it handled well without spacers or fooling with the oil level.  I am about 230 lbs.

slotcar

I had the same results on my '96. I drained the forks overnight, upside down, replaced the fork oil with 15W, to 5.5" maximum level, and reinstalled the new springs with a 3/4" spacer and the original spacer washers. Resulted in less dive on braking, and a much more attached feel to the road. I dialed the rear spring to #5 and I like the way it felt. I weigh about 160lbs. I thought that the new springs would require less fork oil, but when I added the recommended volume with the forks empty and compressed it didn't reach the recommended level of 5.5". I made a dipstick from a "chop stick" and added oil till it was 5.5" from the top, sealed them back up and put it back together.Not difficult at all for an amateur wrench. I can't wait to wear out these original tires so I can try some newer performance oriented ones.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk