Making a custom wiring harness/loom

Started by Cerberus73, September 15, 2014, 02:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerberus73

I am fine crimping terminals, changing connector blocks and testing continuity with a multimeter. but i have never made a custom harness before. but the more i think about it, this is the route i need to go down here. I'm converting the bike to full LED except for xenon headlights, so i need to splice in switches for the spotlights, the DLR's and figure out where to splice in the red LED for the rear so they come on when i use the brakes. and was wondering if it is possible to add hazard lights to the GS500. i also intend to add a immobiliser and alarm to the bike (I've had a couple of bikes stolen before, and someone recently had a attempt at my other GS)

If anyone has any tips, or experience of adding LED braking lights that come on only when the brakes are applied, or adding alarms etc.. i would be very grateful for the information. I have stripped, cleaned and rewrapped the standard main loom, but i would rather start over as i plan so many additions to the electrical system.

Big Rich

I added an led brake light to my GS450 - it is a license plate frame with a small strip for the lights. Because of the extremely low draw of the led's, I just jumped the wires into the brake light.

For Hazard lights: look at the left hand controls on a GSXR along with the wiring diagram. I believe the hazard lights are completely controlled thru the left hand controls.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

floatingLomas

If you really want to 'start from scratch,' build a jig.  http://www.dairiki.org/hammond/cable-lacing-howto/

Here's the process I would follow.  I've never done this, but I did a bunch of research on it at some point long, long ago.

Before you pull the harness, figure out where the new swiches/lights/etc go on the bike, and then use some rope (or similar) cut to the right length to run from the new item location to the nearest point on the wiring harness and tape it on to the harness at that point as a 'fake wire lead' - and of course, label it.  While doing this you can update the electrical diagram to include all the new components and any changes to existing wiring.

Pull the harness out of the bike, along with the new 'fake wire leads,' and lay it out on an a board - or a piece of cardboard, for that matter - then spread it out evenly and put nails/screws/thumbtacks/pins at each fork and at each connector/termination.  Trace it out, number/letter each connector point on the board (including any you'll add at the end of the 'ropes'), and do a (numbered) pin diagram right near each connector (including the wire color).  You should probably also unwrap the existing harness to make sure there aren't any hidden items that you need to be aware of.

Then with the diagram (traces) and jig (physical terminal locations) you can figure out how much of each color wire to buy, buy it, and lay it out.  Crimp and assemble the terminals, doublecheck proper pin insertion, routing and continuity, and if that's all good, you should be able to wrap it and install it.

Great.  Now I want to build myself a new harness just to try this out.
I know a little bit about a lot of things - usually just enough to be dangerous.

My 93 GS500E

Cerberus73

thanks floatinglomas.. bit of a problem the wiring loom is already off the bike.. but i do have another gs i can check stuff on. Ordered up the waterproof connectors, also have batches of bullet connectors, spade terminals, tube splice crimps, switches, relays and fuses all ready to add to the bike.

I wanted to replace the original wiring with thin wall cable, as all my lights will be LED, so the current draw will be less, and it be easier to route as well if there is less weight and diameter to the loom. i need to work out what model of GS i have as it is registered as a 98, but looking at the loom diagram for a 98 it don't match... but a 97 loom is a perfect match. so i am guessing my bike was in the dealership a while before it sold. if anyone knows a sure way to figure out what model of gs i have.. id be grateful, as it would make getting parts easier.

floatingLomas

Not really a major deal.  You can do the same thing on another bike and just either fork from an existing spot or measure from an existing fork to the spot on the harness that you want to put the new fork, then lay it out on the board from your ropes and measurements after you lay out the harness.

The serial plate on the frame should have date of manufacture; my buddy pointed out that before June is the marked year - and he's pretty right when it comes to bikes, so I believe him :P - and after June is the following model year.  So I actually have a 92 not a 93, as I was told when I bought it (05/92).
I know a little bit about a lot of things - usually just enough to be dangerous.

My 93 GS500E

Cerberus73

And another quick question.. does anyone know where to get these? other than suzuki themselves (bloody expensive once postage is figured in)

They are the flexible plastic coated "clamps" found in various places on the GS to hold the wiring in place. I have seen the same things on Hondas I've restored so they cannot be unique to Suzuki. i have looked for a generic variant but have had no luck.

floatingLomas

Sadly, no, not yet.  If you do find a source, let me know; I will do same.

My 93 GS500E

eldinh

have you thought of cable wire looms that you would normally use in household they are riund and have a hole for a bolt or screw. http://www.wiringproducts.com/loom-and-cable-clamps

Cerberus73

Thing is some of these parts are inside the motor side covers, so dunno if p-clips would be suitable. but i guess if i got them out carefully those could be reused. its the temperatures i worry about. as some are very close to the motor.

eldinh

Yeah didnt think of heat possibly causing an issue

Cerberus73

Ok i have all the components in, thin wall cable, waterproof sealed connectors, new terminals, heat shrink etc. and i have done a vector art copy of the haynes manual wiring loom so i can scale it up to A3 and get it laminated, now I'm working out what i need to splice in and connect to for the functionality i want. and one question i have is..

On the tailamp in order for my auxiliary red LED's to come on when i apply the brake, where would i connect the positive and negative wires into? i know black/white wire is earth. so do i hook up the positive to the brown wire, or the white/black wire. as it don't say anywhere in the manuals that i can find. (these are the standard looms colours for the taillight bulbs) i don't want these lamps on all the time, only when i apply the brake. and would you recommend using a voltage regulator in the circuit to smooth things out. or will it be fine as is, just hooking in the LED's to the loom.

And if the vector file is of any use to the forum for the wiring diagram, It is for the 1997 EV model, and the UK market bike, but it is a Adobe illustrator CS6 file, so could be edited easily to add/remove components to make it suitable for the 89-00 bikes. as i know how frustrating it was to find a fully scalable diagram for the GS. i can also offer a A3 PDF to print off, but this will not be editable. my bikes a 98 but when i checked the loom it didn't fit the 98 diagram in the manual, just the 97, so I'm guessing my GS sat in the showroom a while before sale.

floatingLomas

Quote from: Cerberus73 on October 09, 2014, 08:48:19 PM
On the tailamp in order for my auxiliary red LED's to come on when i apply the brake, where would i connect the positive and negative wires into? i know black/white wire is earth. so do i hook up the positive to the brown wire, or the white/black wire. as it don't say anywhere in the manuals that i can find. (these are the standard looms colours for the taillight bulbs) i don't want these lamps on all the time, only when i apply the brake. and would you recommend using a voltage regulator in the circuit to smooth things out. or will it be fine as is, just hooking in the LED's to the loom.

It looks like White/Black is probably the brake light circuit, and Brown is the tail light circuit - at least based on a quick look at some of the available diagrams online.  What kind of bulbs are you using for the aux red's?  Do they have any circuitry in them already, or are they bare LEDs?

My 93 GS500E

Cerberus73

Ok the Rear Red LED's are small flat mount cree type LED, they come pre fitted with wires, and a threaded bolt to mount either into the panels of the bike, on my rear rack (my preferred option) or can be fitted into my topbox. i have included a low res version of the modifications i am working on just to make sure i have this all square. Including circuits to fit my front spot lamps, the mod to run LED warning lamps and indicator bulbs (turn signals for those in US) so if someone more versed in electrical could check them over for accuracy before i go cutting wires and making harnesses up. id be grateful. sorry for size of the image, any smaller and you can't make stuff out.

So to confirm to wire a relay in, either for the front spot lamps and DRL id connect positive on battery to pin 30 on relay, pin 87 to red coming from lamps, and connect pin 86 to pin 30 on relay, and a switch between pin 85 on relay and negative terminal of battery?

And to get auxiliary rear lamps to come on with brake light, id connect the black negative on lights to the black and white earth wire on taillight, and the red from lamps to the white and black wire on taillight wires. so when brakes applied the extra lamps come on?

And can anyone confirm i have the circuit mod correct to enable use of LED warning lights and Indicators?

Thanks for any advice. and corrections if required.

Kiwingenuity

Quote from: Cerberus73 on September 22, 2014, 09:33:32 AM
And another quick question.. does anyone know where to get these? other than suzuki themselves (bloody expensive once postage is figured in)

They are the flexible plastic coated "clamps" found in various places on the GS to hold the wiring in place. I have seen the same things on Hondas I've restored so they cannot be unique to Suzuki. i have looked for a generic variant but have had no luck.

Best find so far:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-70-4mm-screw-holes-fixed-wire-retainer-clip-wire-harness-PVC-film-holder/1697769260.html

Cerberus73

Right i have all the modifications made to the standard wiring harness for my bike year on a diagram, and a straight copy from the manual ready to go to the printers for my garage wall. I can supply the moderators here with copies in .ai and PDF files if someone can give me an address to send them to. id like to try and help fellow GS'ers

But can someone please confirm i have made the correct changes by looking at the image i put up? as i want to ensure its correct, and to not disseminate false or misleading info to fellow site members.. as we all know how much bunkum info is out there on the olde interweb.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk