1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrfxr67

I picked up my first GS500 last week.  This is the first Suzuki I've had.  The motor had a bad rod bearing and PO decided to dismantle the whole engine.  I'm still deciding whether to get a replacement engine or try and put this one back together.  I'd like to use this post to document my progress and get feedback from the GREAT forum here at GSTWINs.  This forum is really well mannered and informative.  I've been on cbrforum.net and of course customfighters.com for quite awhile now but I'm really enjoying reading the 1200something pages of posts here!  I'm working on posting pictures right now and will continue to do so as the build goes along.  I'm from Houston and here's a 'hello' to all the people at GSTWINs.

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

cbrfxr67

So today I test fit an old F2 engine.  I have an F2/3 that I've been learning on for the past few years.  Then I picked up another on the cheap and fixed it also.  With all of the cbr parts I have, I thought I could find another but somehow I ended up with a GS500.  Obviously, I'd try to insert cbr600 engine right?!  For people searching to see if this will work: nope.  Not without modifying the front frame for the exhaust.  The rear wasn't too bad and you could fab some brackets but the exhaust was the dream killer.  So, back to my gs500 engine.  PO didn't give me the piston assembly, so I'll have to locate that before I can start putting things back together.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Messing around with more F2 parts.  Probably way too big for this bike.  You know how it is when you don't have anything to do without parts and you start going 'hmmmm' and looking around the garage.
-buddha

BaltimoreGS

If I remember correctly, the CBR rear sets will fit if you use a bolt with a smaller head.

-Jessie

Twisted

Welcome to the forum CBRFXR. Keep us updated how you go.

tb0lt

Is this the red $600 gs that was on Houston CL last week? You bought it from Jake?

cbrfxr67

Yes that's right.  Nice to see fellow Houston rider here!  :)
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Any opinions on trying to stuff that 600 motor in there?  I'm having a hard time finding a replacement engine that doesn't cost more than the whole bike.  I'm even having a hard time finding a piston/rod assembly to try & rebuild my old one.  Anybody got one lying around?  :dunno_black:
-buddha

tb0lt

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on April 15, 2011, 09:10:08 AM
Any opinions on trying to stuff that 600 motor in there?  I'm having a hard time finding a replacement engine that doesn't cost more than the whole bike.  I'm even having a hard time finding a piston/rod assembly to try & rebuild my old one.  Anybody got one lying around?  :dunno_black:

I vote for the 600 install into the GS frame. It would be cheaper than a proper rebuild of your old motor. You will end up with a really unique and SUPER fast GS :)

BaltimoreGS

As narrow as the GS frame is won't it be hard to get the final drive to line up correctly (assuming stock swing arm)?

-Jessie

cbrfxr67

Most of Saturday I worked on aligning and setting the 600 engine in the frame.  I took a boat load of pictures but jacka** phone isn't cooperating on downloading them.  I'll have to get my digital camera and do it that way.  The mounting points were, of course, way off so I began making jigs to hold the engine while I weld in new tabs.  Basing the position on: making the carbs fit on top and making sure the sprocket/chain line up on rear, I bolted in some hangers.  I'm trying not to cut out/modify the original frame & mounting points as much as possible in case at one point we retro back to the gs engine.  The engine itself fits easily in the space and doesn't touch the frame at all.  The carbs fit, right before the bends in the frame under the tank.  The removable frame piece doesn't want to fit because of the engine mounting tab, which hits the oil pan of the f2 motor.  I'll have to figure out what to do there later.  All in all I was happy that this seems like a doable project.  Pictures to come.  Any suggestions, tips or advice is well appreciated.  :icon_idea:
-buddha

The Buddha

If I were you, I'd fab up an exhaust that will clear the frame, there are people who can do anything with muffler pipe.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

scottychop

Can you make the engine a stressed member of the frame?  Cut the left side to match the right and make two upper mounts. 

jeffdodge

I would LOVE to see that. If it can be done, being that the GS frame is just steel, I may have to attempt this down the road.

cbrfxr67

Tonite only had time to mock up one bracket and weld it in.  Still having problems with my pics but I'll get some tomorrow.  Not enough time & energy in the day!
-buddha

the mole

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on April 18, 2011, 06:57:53 AM
I'm trying not to cut out/modify the original frame & mounting points as much as possible ........ The removable frame piece doesn't want to fit because of the engine mounting tab, which hits the oil pan of the f2 motor.
Cut out the mounting tab, you can always get another removable frame piece if you go back to the GS motor again later.

cbrfxr67

Finally got my phone to cooperate somewhat.  Here's my work space, with the GS, an F3 I reworked, and my cn250 rat.
Of course one of my main concerns was making sure the carbs would fit in the frame and line up correctly.
That's all I got for now.  Will work on welding more tabs in tonight and try to make some more progress
-buddha

The Buddha

Ooooooo ... engine-swap-gasm. Man that baby fits in there like it was made for it.
Looks like my acheivement of the weekend (fitting a buell blast tank on a GR frame) now is just to be thrown by the side of the road man.
Cool.
Buddha.
I run a business based on other people's junk.

jeffdodge

Looking amazing. Cant wait to see it done.

cbrfxr67

Quote from: The Buddha on April 19, 2011, 09:20:10 AM
Ooooooo ... engine-swap-gasm. Man that baby fits in there like it was made for it.
Looks like my acheivement of the weekend (fitting a buell blast tank on a GR frame) now is just to be thrown by the side of the road man.
Cool.
Buddha.
Buddha please honor me with a pic of that buell blast tank you did!  :bowdown:
-buddha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk