News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Clymer manual Here

Main Menu

Making a E an F work in progress

Started by knowles, August 05, 2012, 12:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knowles

Going to be making my 89 E and 89 F with the fairings i got from addiasguy. looks like its going to be alot more invovled to get everything to look just right. was going to use a U bolt to hold the upper fairings stay in place but it makes it go to the wrong angle so the side farings wont line up. so now just going to use the main fairing until i can weld a peice of flat stock on the steering tube like the F models have, but can't do that until winter time. if anyone has been able to make a E and an F without doing this let me know. will put some pics up tomorrow.
1989 GS 500EK

knowles

Pictures of the start.

1989 GS 500EK

cbrfxr67

I've always wanted to do this.  Definitely watching your progress sir!  If it were me, I'd borrow a mig (or if you want to invest in one) and get my tabs done.  Buddha did a write up one time when he welded on some tabs and needless to say, it wasn't flattering.

Myself, the new mig I picked up recently has been amazing compared to what I was using.  The 'changes' I'm doing to my GS have gone so much better!  Night and day difference.
:cheers:

Hope to see more of your progress!
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

knowles

On Aug, 27 I start to go back to school for Mobile equipment service tech, and wouldn't ya know what class i have this semester, basic welding and cutting. :D so i get to use the schools higher end stuff. i want to do a complete tear down and have the frame powder coated, and go thru the entire engine. so a lot will be happening after classes start.
1989 GS 500EK

Phil B

that.. is.. just.. odd.
If i were cobbling on a fairing the hard way, I'd pick a fancier one.   but, congrats on getting the front cowl to stick on so far! :)

knowles

got the running light wired on with a LED Addiasguy sent me. It will look stock when done. :thumb:
1989 GS 500EK

knowles

well got it done enough to ride back and forth to work. Going to get allen head sockets tomorrow so i can torque everything down on front end that i had to take off to get the headlight brackets off the forks.

By the way what the hell is this and where does it go?
1989 GS 500EK

adidasguy

That is a wind deflector to keep a torrent of air from coming up through the fairing. Look at the parts diagrams. It mounts to the underside of your upper triple.

knowles

O :dunno_black:, i guess that will be letf for tomorrow. got all the wiring done anyways. :D
1989 GS 500EK

Phil B

Quote from: adidasguy on August 06, 2012, 10:13:04 PM

That is a wind deflector to keep a torrent of air from coming up through the fairing. Look at the parts diagrams. It mounts to the underside of your upper triple.

waaaait... that's an 'F' kit thing?

I put it back on, after stripping off my fairings.
wonder if that's what gives me the nice quiet dead-air zone?

knowles

Quote from: Phil B on August 06, 2012, 10:31:33 PM
Quote from: adidasguy on August 06, 2012, 10:13:04 PM

waaaait... that's an 'F' kit thing?

I put it back on, after stripping off my fairings.
wonder if that's what gives me the nice quiet dead-air zone?

Could you give me a pic as to where this is mounted.
1989 GS 500EK

adidasguy

Yes, Phil - it is just for the fairing.

knowles

ok looks like i get to change the path of some wiring. :woohoo:
1989 GS 500EK

knowles

Got the wiring done put the 12volt outlet in the fairing, got everything wired up, and nothing. forgot to connect the ground wire.  :oops:. not all works. got it together enough to ride to work. going to wait till class starts to weld the piece on the fork tube. going to put new bearings in at that time also.
1989 GS 500EK

iclrag

knowles

Here is the 12volt, going to put a different wiring harness this winter, and maybe do newer handlebar switches. got to order new mirrors also. i can see behind me but not very well. dont know if i should get the ones with the blinkers in the side mirrors or not. also have to shave down the place where the flush mount blinkers go so they are flush. no pun intended.

GPS RAM Mount

Had to move the brake line to the outside

Flush mount trun signals

Repainted the main fairing
1989 GS 500EK

iclrag

Nice! i'm liking how this is turning out

7thgear

1992 GS500E Blue, 1992 GS500E Black, 2003 Honda CG125.

My web: wanderersbook.blogspot.com

knowles

Didn't think that the fairing would make a difference in handling, noticable but not bad. love the extra wind protection it gives tho. need to get a double bobble wind screen tho. more will come after i start class again.
1989 GS 500EK

knowles

Ok have a couple of more things that i was able to put on until the rear fun starts to begin.

Mirrors- now i can see behind me, always a plus

Tank bra

1989 GS 500EK

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk