1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrfxr67

I think you're right xune.  Yesterday a guy I know brought his gsxr 1000 engine that he bored out, over for me to check out.  I swear that thing is tiny, much smaller than my 600 engine.  I seriously want to try to build something with one of those next.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Shepa

Well, after two months of riding the project bike, I must confess one downside only...

Those Chinese gauges are complete piece of crap.
First of all, the speedo is showing cca 15kph less than actual speed (but I'll work that out), but the major thing is... the scale is made of paper only, no plastic at all, so it warped so much under the hot Mediterranean sun that the tacho needle is tending to stuck.
GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! And I left the five star feedback on eBay... I'll change my nick to "El Stupido".

Anyway... tomorrow I gotta take 'em apart and make the scales the way they were supposed to look like in the first place.
When I'm at it, I'll maybe put some LED bulbs instead of filament ones.

And yes... no videos yet. Guess I'm too lazy for that, sorry.

BTW, since cbrfxr67 is taking his time, how bout splitting the topic in two, so I could post some additional pictures and maybe even videos?  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

cbrfxr67

Szucks on the gauges not holding up to expectations.  I'm probably going to do an inductive tach and use the GS speedo on the F2's gauge harness/lights.  Just found a cheap gauge set on ebay, F2 complete, which will really make the wiring a zillion percent easier.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Shepa

Phew... just finished the gauges adaptation...

Well, I thought about explaining what I did, but I've just realised I'm too tired to type.

Gotta get up early, to mount 'em on bike and of to work...

Later. G'd nite.

:thumb:

cbrfxr67

Shepa, still waiting on that update to see what you did.
Annnd, progress has halted on my GS til I get my bike hauler (van) running and then I'll get back on it.
-buddha

xunedeinx

Shepa

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on August 29, 2011, 01:42:57 PM
Shepa, still waiting on that update to see what you did.
Annnd, progress has halted on my GS til I get my bike hauler (van) running and then I'll get back on it.
Nah... not much of an update, I just combined GS tach scale with "chin-honda" electronics, managed to save the temperature gauge...
and inserted the complete GS speedo into the "chin-honda" housing (basically the mechanics are identical, it's just that I have a little bit more faith in Japanese instrument), to finally have the correct kph readings, and no scale warping anymore.

Salvador Dali was here...  :icon_mrgreen:

Nevermind the light protruding the speedo, that's the side-stand light, it goes off when the stand's up.
And no, the chinese (white) needle won't go on Japanese speedo... the jap-shaft is 0,2 milimeters thicker.
:sad:

Also, since the vacuum fuel tap is not so airtight...
Hell, since I'm at the keyboard, I'll tell the complete story...

Two weeks ago, got up in the morning, sat on the bike, ready to roll to work, pushed the starter button, nothing happens.
And I mean nothing. At all. Just a click. Then again... only one "click".
At this time, a faint smell of petrol should've give me a clue, but GS' always smell of petrol so... I didn't notice anything unusual in that.  :icon_mrgreen:
OK, I'm thinking, maybe the battery's dead, I'll push-start it in no-time.

Right... I've pushed it down a short slope (as usual when the battery's low - at winter time mostly), released the clutch, but the rear wheel instantly blocked.
WTF?! OK, so I went further down the slope... getting some speed now, again, released the clutch in (dunno) second or third gear...
Rear wheel is solid blocked again!!! Well, the moron in me started to jump on backseat to give it more grip, but to no avail... after 40-50 metres I gave up.
Phoned Tesla, and he immediately said: "Your crankshaft's blocked, engine seized."

Fck, I instantly realised what happened... the smell of fuel, the starter not turning, the blockage of rear wheel... the icy cold sweat started to pour down my face...
Hydrolock!

During the night, the vacuum fuel tap must have gone bad, allowing one carburetor (the one that was overflowing for no particular reason) to fill one of the cylinders.
Later, when I lifted the tank, I saw that airbox is half full of petrol (construction flaw... Tesla forgot to drill the drain hole after airbox-mod).

Anyway, I closed the tank petcock, and went to work on foot, just to wear off the anger...
I was cursing myself for the whole day for hydrolocking the engine, possible breaking of the con-rod, valves, and damaging the crankshaft during push-starting...

I came home after the work, feeling like pissed flower, and went to organise hauling over to Tesla's garage...
Just out of curiosity, I tried to crank the engine, since I hoped most of the petrol in the cylinder would be in the oil pan by now...
It sparked in millisecond, and went on to idle, purring like kitten.
Well... the stone that fell off of my heart almost smashed my foot...

If something's bent, it's not showing, and I'm not too curious to go searching for it. No suspicious sounds, no lack of power... nothing unusual.
I just changed the oil (yep, filled with half a liter of petrol), installed electric fuel valve between the vacuum fuel tap and the carbs, and the bike's fine ever since.

I must be thankful, because I have a friend that has an old Honda CB900... and couple o' years ago, he also tried to push start it while flooded with fuel.
The problem was... the three cylinders cranked (ignited) forcing the fourth con-rod to snap and punch a hole in the engine block.

So... that's it for now, I'm enjoying the ride every single day, and the thoughts of selling the GS are now long gone and forgotten.  :icon_mrgreen:

cbrfxr67

Good read Shepa!  I like how Tesla knew what it was on the phone!
-buddha

Shepa

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on August 30, 2011, 01:41:07 PM
Good read Shepa!  I like how Tesla knew what it was on the phone!
Yep, the man knows. :bowdown:

xunedeinx

cbrfxr67

Hell yea, installed my engine & transmission then had to rewire the 88 harness to the newer 92 computer and figure out wtf I forgot since it wouldn't run.  Figured that out Saturday and reconfigured all those wires, consolidated them all together, put the dash back together, sewed up odds and ends and fired it up!  Ran good but still have some more things to tidy up.  Oh, wait, you were talking about the GS weren't you??  Uhh, errr, well, I, am going to get on it here shortly since the bikehauler is coming together!  :D
-buddha

xunedeinx

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on September 12, 2011, 10:25:28 AM
Hell yea, installed my engine & transmission then had to rewire the 88 harness to the newer 92 computer and figure out wtf I forgot since it wouldn't run.  Figured that out Saturday and reconfigured all those wires, consolidated them all together, put the dash back together, sewed up odds and ends and fired it up!  Ran good but still have some more things to tidy up.  Oh, wait, you were talking about the GS weren't you??  Uhh, errr, well, I, am going to get on it here shortly since the bikehauler is coming together!  :D

Allright, but im still waiting for some youtube videos of the 4cyl gs500!

Which makes me think...

we have 500cc's, 35hp, sportbikes have 600cc's, 120hp... I find it hard to believe that 100 cc's gains you almost 100 hp. Where are all our missing horses!?

kml.krk

Quote from: xunedeinx on September 12, 2011, 05:26:01 PM
Allright, but im still waiting for some youtube videos of the 4cyl gs500!

Which makes me think...

we have 500cc's, 35hp, sportbikes have 600cc's, 120hp... I find it hard to believe that 100 cc's gains you almost 100 hp. Where are all our missing horses!?

So looking at the factory mentioned HP and Wiki, GS has:
Horsepower: 1989–1996 52 hp (38 kW) @ 9200 rpm. 1997–2009 47 hp (34.3 kW) @ 9200 rpm.

CBR 600 from 2009-2011 (info also from Wikipedia)
102.2 hp (76.2 kW) @12,600 rpm

MATH (compared 2 newest bikes / 2011):
102.2 - 47 = 55.2

So the difference is not 100 HP but 55.2 HP.
And it all comes from about 20-25 years of advancement in technology + different engine configuration.
Remember that GS from 2011 still uses powerplant designed years ago (First GS500E was introduced in North America in 1989) and it remained virtually unchanged since then, with the exception of few minor details.
On the other hand bikes like CBR600/GSXR are modified almost every year and new technologies are introduced in them.

On average if you multiply a gain of 2HP per year in modern sportbikes you get:
2[HP] * 25[years] = 50HP[gain]

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I am talking about but it seems very logical.
Yellow 2004: K&N Lunchbox, Leo Vince SBK, 2005 GSXR Turn Signals, 20/65/147.5, 15T front sprocket, Progressive Springs etc...

"Bikes get you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no bikes." - Phineas

BaltimoreGS

Quote from: xunedeinx on September 12, 2011, 05:26:01 PM

Which makes me think...

The GS has a really antiquated air cooled parallel twin cylinder design with only 2 valves per cylinder.  The now defunct Ninja 500 of the same vintage had a liquid cooled parallel  twin engine with 4 valves per cylinder and made about 60hp.  Lack of design updates has left the GS500 in the past.  It's not such a bad thing though, there are plenty of useable parts floating around relatively cheap   :thumb:

-Jessie

Phil B

Interesting points, BaltimoreGS.

On the flip side, there is the BMW twin,  800 (S, ST, gs), which gets 80hp.
water cooled, 4 valve. but gets BETTER mpg than our gs500. Yet its a little heavier.
kinda impressive. wonder just how "old" that tech is.

But on the downside, 4x the price :D

crzydood17

we just need to find a cheap easy 4 valve swap, lighten up the valve train and spin to 13k and we should be in the 60 hp range! A nice cam and some performance carbs wouldn't hurt either :(
2004 GS500F (Sold)
2001 GS500 (being torn apart)
1992 GS500E (being rebuilt)

cbrfxr67

Before,..

Finally finished the bikehauler, well as far as the engine swap goes and spent the day organizing and getting ready to get back on the GS.  Still somemore cleaning to do but I'm ready to start on the GS and get it fired up and running.
After,...
-buddha

Shepa

Phew... I was afraid you gave up...  :icon_mrgreen:

Nothing new on this side of Atlantic... just cruising as any other day...
In a couple o' days I'm getting an R6 rear shock...
And a R6 front end (one fork leg a bit bent, cracked lower triple, but it's for free, so I don't care), so I'll see what could be done with it (if anything).

cbrfxr67

R6 front end, R6 rear shock=FREE is good!  (Tesla magic or Shepa handiwork going to make this happen???)  :icon_mrgreen:
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Today started on mounting the radiator.  At first I thought it was going to be too tight.  Kept maneuvering it until I found the sweet spot.  Had to make some brackets to hold it so used some light aluminum and bent it out.  Prob paint it black to conceal it better eventually.  Also hooked up some gauges and controls into the harness, just for test starting.  Also filled up the crankcase with marvel mystery oil to check for leaks since I replaced the pan recently.  I think that's all I did today.  Oh and I pulled off that stupid fender.  The GS fender looks retarded to me.

-buddha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk