1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrfxr67

xune convinced me to try fiberglass on the tank cover.  Was trying to keep on with my tank welding plan but just isn't working, so going to try some fiberglass and see how it comes out.  Thanks for the comments mysterious.  Opinions welcome! 

Thanks Tomb.  Not sure what you're talking about though, cause you've had your engine opened and closed more than,....(insert YMHK worthy joke here).  That definitely takes 'know how.'
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Tombstones81

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on February 29, 2012, 11:13:10 AM
xune convinced me to try fiberglass on the tank cover.  Was trying to keep on with my tank welding plan but just isn't working, so going to try some fiberglass and see how it comes out.  Thanks for the comments mysterious.  Opinions welcome! 

Thanks Tomb.  Not sure what you're talking about though, cause you've had your engine opened and closed more than,....(insert YMHK worthy joke here).  That definitely takes 'know how.'

hahaha but thats totally different then all the welding and fitting a bigger different engine into the GS frame.

i've never cut and welded anything before.
so all the work to make things fit etc etc is nice but I cant fully understand it yet to fully appreciate it.
aka like oh yeah I know how to do that and understand it completely, pretty cool etc etc
94 GS500
01 Engine
Personally repainted!  (Traded)

87 Honda VF700C Magna
(Super Magna)

xunedeinx

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on February 29, 2012, 11:13:10 AM

Its easier than welding, thats for sure!

You make a mistake, cut it off, and throw on a new peice of glass.

Hardest challenge will be symmetry.

cbrfxr67

So, scraped up 200 big ones, went and picked up a 2001 Fireblade 929 over the weekend.  I really went for the engine and everything to get it running but guy was moving and let me take the whole thing.  Also, threw in a cbr 900rr rolling chassis with the engine in a basket case (another one?).  I couldn't pass it up when he was bringing out more and more stuff for me to take.

First look with borescope, things look good.  Too much crap is disconnected to see if it'll fire up and this is my first journey into FI territory, so need to get more informed.

Too bad I didn't find this sooner and could've put the 929 in the GS. (sweet)

Worked on my tank cover over the weekend.  Fiberglass is actually kind of fun to work with.  Smells to hell though.  That was about all I got done.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

xunedeinx

Wish I had that kinda of luck.

I can make one hell of a bike out of those two hondas!

Shepa

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on March 05, 2012, 09:41:25 AM...
Too bad I didn't find this sooner and could've put the 929 in the GS. (sweet)
I hate you...  :icon_twisted:

:icon_mrgreen:
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

cbrfxr67

Got the 929 started tonight.  Rounded up some used spark plugs, wire brushed them shiny and made sure gap was ok.   Finally found all the coils in the mountain of parts and got them connected.  Hooked up the jump box and it fired right up.

I didn't run it but for a moment cause I didn't have everything connected and haven't really gone over the bike much.  Just wanted to see if it would fire.  Still gave me that good feeling to hear the engine start!
-buddha

Tombstones81

:icon_eek:
Very lucky and well deserved!!  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:
94 GS500
01 Engine
Personally repainted!  (Traded)

87 Honda VF700C Magna
(Super Magna)

knowles

Quote from: xunedeinx on March 05, 2012, 11:21:35 AM
Wish I had that kinda of luck.

I can make one hell of a bike out of those two hondas!

Me too, i can never find anything like that. I would try a off road go cart with the honda motor. it would be sweet.
1989 GS 500EK

steezin_and_wheezin

Jealous cbr!! congrats on the parts bike gold pile!

My room mate would kill for that 929 parts bike, that was his ride back when he was on sports bikes.

Side note, when ya getting a better camera?? :icon_mrgreen:

if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

cbrfxr67

Thanks,....I really try to stay off CL because I end up wanting to go pick up more and more.  Just happened to find this one when my f2 pissed me off the other day stalling out and I searched for some fi.

Been working on the GS tank cover more and more.  I'm a novice to fiberglass but it is fun.  Kind of like sculpting I guess.  Like xune said, 'make a mistake, cut it off, and throw on a new peice of glass.' 
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Really had a fun time as it was the first time my son got to come work on the GS with me and spend the weekend.  He made a bracket for the tail light and place for the tail seat cover to clip to.  While he was doing that I worked on cover and body work.  Also dismantled the 929,....

-buddha

xunedeinx

That engine is sexy, and should be in my frame...

Shepa

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

xunedeinx

Quote from: Shepa on March 13, 2012, 10:06:37 AM
Quote from: xunedeinx on March 12, 2012, 11:41:23 AM
That engine is sexy, and should be in my frame...
My thoughts exactly...  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Heres the deal, I'll drive up there, we'll spend a weekend getting it 99%, I'll limp it home, and finish it up.

Deal?

cbrfxr67

Was NOT a good day yesterday working on GS.  Wouldn't fire up.  I mean, just refused.  Then bad fuel leak started and I was feeling the tomb rage approaching.  >:( Yanked off that jacka** tank and pulled the fuel lines and considering something else now.  I'm sure Shep will have a few words for my stubborness. 

On the other hand, body work is going very nicely.  Rapidfix is the shaZam for fixing abs!  Easy to use and crazy strength in no time.  Did my grand canyon sized cracked fender and the hacked 600rr tail.

Bought a motion pro carb sync tool last night after watching youtube video on it.  I have vacuum gauges style manometer but want to try the 'mercury' style and see if it is easier to use.
http://youtu.be/2nwP6R1P58A
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Not much to report.  Doing bodywork,...sanding, priming, Rapidfixing, minor fiberglassing,...etc.

Did start rolling out some cardboard to get an idea of a shroud around my (gigantic) headlight.  Much props to xune for telling me about fiberglass and how easy it is to use.
-buddha

dropitlow88

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on March 19, 2012, 07:10:14 AM
Not much to report.  Doing bodywork,...sanding, priming, Rapidfixing, minor fiberglassing,...etc.

Did start rolling out some cardboard to get an idea of a shroud around my (gigantic) headlight.  Much props to xune for telling me about fiberglass and how easy it is to use.
i read this entire thread last night and i am determined that within a year i will start a similar build (next tax season lol) lovin it. great job, and that deathray of a headlight reminds me of the huge wraparound sunglasses old people wear :thumb: props to you for the creativity and back yard mechanic ingenuity. I'd love to come over there and turn a wrench with ya for the weekend.  :cheers:

cbrfxr67

"that deathray of a headlight reminds me of the huge wraparound sunglasses old people wear" (quote dropit)

that made my night, thanks dropit!  Too funny! 

So, kind of interesting that dropit (edit- sorry I meant bombsquad, my bad) is doing a tank restore and it gave me the idea of using my supertanker 900 tank on the GS.  My son loved it.  I kind of like it too.  With my deathray headlight and supertanker gas tank, gives it a real 'what the' appeal.  Have to fab up a base for it so it doesn't look retarded hanging out in space from the sides.  Opinions welcome,....?

Will have to do something like dropit (edit-bombsquad, doh!) is doing on his tank to get the crap and gunk out of it.
-buddha

dropitlow88

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on March 19, 2012, 07:57:07 PM
"that deathray of a headlight reminds me of the huge wraparound sunglasses old people wear" (quote dropit)

that made my night, thanks dropit!  Too funny! 

So, kind of interesting that dropit is doing a tank restore and it gave me the idea of using my supertanker 900 tank on the GS.  My son loved it.  I kind of like it too.  With my deathray headlight and supertanker gas tank, gives it a real 'what the' appeal.  Have to fab up a base for it so it doesn't look retarded hanging out in space from the sides.  Opinions welcome,....?

Will have to do something like dropit is doing on his tank to get the crap and gunk out of it.
that thing looks good. not bad at all. little tall, but, what the hell... it's not like it was made for it or anything :cool: go for it. have you looked into side draft carbs like the gs? i think that would give u much more room to fabricate a filtration system for it. those down draft jobbers just eat up way to much space on the gs. to me it would be worth it to fab up a new induction system for that simple reason. gas is the oxygen, oil is the life blood. with a 70 mile range it think i'd get tired of visiting the gas station. although the new tank does some justice with extra volume. just something to think about. great job thus far, thing is awesome :thumb:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk