News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrfxr67

Last night dug out the basket case and got some parts for Tomb and his project then stuck the muffler on to see how it looked.  That was all I did.

Also, got in what I might try to use for a headlight!  Off a Snowmobile!  Sweet!
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Put the exhaust on over the weekend and ran it.  Sounds much better with the exhaust.  Still loud but not as raucous.  I'll post a clip when I fix my fuel delivery issue.  Was starting to move along and noticed a drip, found auxiliary tank had a mysterious hole appear in it. (?)  I may have dropped it or something.  So at this point of frustration I decided to go ahead and make my tank.  Cut out a test pattern, then mocked it up in steel plate, tack welded it together, and tack welded in bottom bung.  That's where I'm at now.  Tonight hope to get fill cap hole cut and cap test fitted, along with more welding up the seams.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

xunedeinx

Pics and video!

I want to hear it!

I want to make one...

xunedeinx

Hey brother, can you do me a favor?

Make a paint drawing of both motors, the gs500 one, and the f2 one for me?

Depth, width, height, length?

I want to see how the dimensions of the i4 compare to the twin.

Shepa

Couldn't stand the air filter issue (no air filter  :icon_mrgreen:), so I just ordered K&N drop in, to see how the thing's working.
Maybe then I'll find the time to shoot some videos myself. :icon_mrgreen:

Anyway, that R6 forks I was talking about are of no use, since the donor bike was totalled, and the rear shock is of an "eye-eye" type, so I'd have to manufacture some kind of linkage to install it. Later. Maybe in the spring.
Now I got something different on my mind...

RGV250 forks.
Anyone used them?
Will they fit on GS?
It's the length that's worrying me, so anyone with RGV experience... be my guest.

Thnx!

Quote from: xunedeinx on January 18, 2012, 09:47:09 AM
Hey brother, can you do me a favor?

Make a paint drawing of both motors, the gs500 one, and the f2 one for me?

Depth, width, height, length?

I want to see how the dimensions of the i4 compare to the twin.

You got my pictures in this thread, both engines side by side, maybe it helps.
The F2 fits almooooost to the GS mounting points.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

xunedeinx

Yea, I just went back and saw the pics. It looks a lot smaller than the gs's twin..

Is it possible to find carbs that fit the f2 that are side draft? Use 2 sets of gs carbs?

Shepa

Quote from: xunedeinx on January 18, 2012, 10:27:19 AM
Yea, I just went back and saw the pics. It looks a lot smaller than the gs's twin..
Yes, smaller and lighter.  :thumb:

Quote from: xunedeinx on January 18, 2012, 10:27:19 AM
Is it possible to find carbs that fit the f2 that are side draft? Use 2 sets of gs carbs?
Dunno, once you put the F2 engine inside frame, the usable space all of the sudden dissapears, and everything is very tight to work around.
And besides, I've bought a complete F2 engine, so I didn't bother to think about GS carbs.

cbrfxr67

xune, you have to go answer the 'what the shaZam does your username mean' thread first. 

And my GS motor is just a basket case o' parts.  I can say that the F2 engine is obnoxiously wide.  I like it though.  I'd seriously do a FI engine swap before I did another one like this.  The 1000 engines are tiny compared to the F2 boat anchor.  A guy I know let me manhandle his gsxr 1000 engine after he got it bored out and I couldn't believe how little and light it was.  He had it sitting in the backseat of his truck.  I sure as hell wouldnt want the F2 engine sitting on my back seat!  What are you thinking of doing xune?   :confused:

Shep: I was wondering what happ'd to your forks.  You'd never said anything more about them.  Do you already have the RGV250 forks?  Hope you do get to take more pics/video too.  Looking forward to that.
-buddha

steezin_and_wheezin

awesome progress. i don't post in here much cause i feel Way out of my league haha. this is one of the coolest/most dedicated projects i've followed since getting into the gs'

that snowmobile lights looks gnarly! should look pretty damn cool. you going to put some plastic around it?

if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

Shepa

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on January 18, 2012, 12:03:03 PM
Shep: I was wondering what happ'd to your forks.  You'd never said anything more about them.  Do you already have the RGV250 forks?  Hope you do get to take more pics/video too.  Looking forward to that.
Nah, I just stumped on some guy's post about selling ones (here in Croatia, 200-300 kms from me), so I checked 'em on the net just to see what would that be like.
As I see it, they're too short, so I won't bother buying them.
I'm sure Tesla could make some extensions to make them fit, but to be honest... I'll rather wait for some user friendlier type o' forks.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot... one of these days I'm gonna take the bike to dyno-test, so I'll post the results here, of course.  :icon_mrgreen:

xunedeinx

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on January 18, 2012, 12:03:03 PM
xune, you have to go answer the 'what the shaZam does your username mean' thread first. 

And my GS motor is just a basket case o' parts.  I can say that the F2 engine is obnoxiously wide.  I like it though.  I'd seriously do a FI engine swap before I did another one like this.  The 1000 engines are tiny compared to the F2 boat anchor.  A guy I know let me manhandle his gsxr 1000 engine after he got it bored out and I couldn't believe how little and light it was.  He had it sitting in the backseat of his truck.  I sure as hell wouldnt want the F2 engine sitting on my back seat!  What are you thinking of doing xune?   :confused:

My name, means nothing, Made it up in 6th grade bc it was cool and nobody knew what it was! Mysteriousness, ftw. Name sjust stuck, dont want to think of another.

Thinking of buying a track bike, or totaled one, once I get a car, and shoehorning it into my gs frame.

IDK if a GS1k would be a good idea or not, but a gs0.6k sounds sweet.

Was also thinking about a triumph triple, there seem to be a lot of them totaled around here...

cbrfxr67

Tonite, worked somemore on my tank.  Ground down my welds and redid a few spots.  Tomorrow I hope I can finish the tank and get on with it.  Also mocked up my headlight!  I think it looks great!  Ok it looks really odd, but I think I'm going to go with it for now.
-buddha

xunedeinx

If its running under its own power, screw how the headlight looks, and enjoy it!

cbrfxr67

Yesterday worked on tank all day.  Today trying to finish it up, only the right side to go and test for leaks.   :2guns: 
@xune: I'm thinking the same thing.  Get it going and road legal, then go back to cosmetics.
-buddha

Shepa

Just to drop by with a minor mod...
Replaced front brake hoses with steel braided ones.
Almost crashed on first test ride. Got to some 100-110 kph and applied front brake with the same force as usual (two fingers), front wheel blocked, slid to right hand side... Phew... Nice. Gotta be careful.

:icon_mrgreen:

cbrfxr67

Wow, that big of a difference eh?  Interesting stuff!  I'm glad you didn't wreck!  Need pics!  heheh

I ran out of material yesterday but almost finished my tank.  Ground down my welds and going to get somemore asap to finish it off.
-buddha

Shepa

Pics tomorrow, right now, I'm trying to get real cbr tacho inside the housing.
Got it for free (minus the needle), and I want the rpm reading to be acurate, cause that chinese eBay junk proved to be total, way too expensive crap.
>:(

cbrfxr67

Cleaned up my grinding mess and then started looking at what to do.  Still didn't get my stick to finish up welding the tank so made some brackets to start on my headlight.  Gauge pod is just sitting on top of it.  Might need to angle light down somewhat to make it look right.  I wanted something extra wide and big.  Thinking of fabbing up some shield, shroud, something to tie it together.  Why do I keep thinking of a shovel blade?  Still have a nice giant fender to fit on there too eventually.  Hung the sheet to be able to see it without all the camouflage clutter behind it.

-buddha

Shepa

As promised... the latest pictures of my bike (just a few, cuz it's starting to rain):

First... what I've been doin' last night:

Dual calipers detail (well, not so detailed):

Then, front look... just to show brand new steel braided lines:

And finally, left side view of the whole package (never mind the rusty fence on the back):

Btw, yes, that's a new gas tank, since my old one was rusty, and starting to leak.
That red strip was Tesla's idea, and I like it, cuz it gives some width to the bike, it looks bulkier than it actualy is.
Of course, you have to look at it at a certain angle (this is not the one :icon_mrgreen:) to get the picture.

Phil B

You shoulda changed the tail markings to read, "GS600" ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk