News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Clymer manual Here

Main Menu

PSA: Chain Guard

Started by jakeoster, November 15, 2015, 05:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeoster

DO NOT RIDE WITHOUT A CHAIN GUARD!

That 2 cent looking piece of plastic probably prevented a serious accident when my properly maintained chain with about 3k miles on it failed on the freeway at about 70mph. The chain guard worked perfectly.

I know there are some folks that think their bike looks cleaner without it or they buy a bike and it is missing.

Don't ride without one :nono:

Once you experience a chain come flying off at 70mph you see how vital it is. I can't imagine what could have happened had I not had one. By the way, there was another driver about a car length behind me which made the situation that much more dangerous.

Could've been my last day or the person behind me. I just wanted to share this experience and maybe someone could learn from it.

Ride safe

yamahonkawazuki

Yup. the damage from a flying chain at highway speed. ewwww id rather not imagine
Aaron
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Darkstar

Quote from: jakeoster on November 15, 2015, 05:03:11 PM
properly maintained chain with about 3k miles on it failed

Thanks. So why did it fail?
2007F with 22k NY/NJ miles. Stock exhaust/airbox. Rejet to 20/60/132/one o-ring/1.25 turns out, +2 mojo

fetor56

Added safety is one of the reasons why i bought a SS chain guard from here...plus a hugger bought from here easily fits.
Curious about the failure...joining link maybe?

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: fetor56 on November 15, 2015, 07:18:41 PM
Added safety is one of the reasons why i bought a SS chain guard from here...plus a hugger bought from here easily fits.
Curious about the failure...joining link maybe?
i know when i went to a -2 on my front sprocket, ( back was as new) i ended up putting an endless chain on it. shortening said chain was a biatch. :technical: but necessary. am curious if failed chain blew a link or type of chain that failed. going by OP im assuming it was new as were sprockets. 3k seems FAR too soon
Aaron
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

jakeoster

I'm 99% sure the cause was related to someone backing into my bike.

I had it parked in the street with the rear tire clamped against the curb in first gear. Somebody had backed into the front tire with enough force to nearly get the rear tire on top of curb. I'm thinking what happened was that the rear sprocket was free to turn but the front, being in first gear, resisted movement thus causing stress on the chain.

I looked the bike over and did about 10 miles around town with no issues. It wasn't until getting up to speed on the freeway that the chain finally gave up.

Janx101

That's a big push for sure. .. but enough to bust/weaken a chain through stress?... Errrm? !

How was the chain joined? Think fetor already asked tho...

Daeouse

Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

jakeoster

Quote from: Janx101 on November 17, 2015, 12:36:25 AM
That's a big push for sure. .. but enough to bust/weaken a chain through stress?... Errrm? !

How was the chain joined? Think fetor already asked tho...

It had a master link

lucas

What do you think would have happened if you didn't have a chain guard?

How exactly did it prevent you from crashing?

Slack

Without a chain guard the chain can easily whip up and badly lacerate your left leg and or back. It could be bad enough to kill you before you even get to wreck the bike.
Quote from: MeeLee on June 07, 2015, 07:14:25 PM
Be aware, this is not very wise advise!

lucas

I'm not convinced.  Can you give any evidence of people who have suffered these injuries?  I've tried to find it myself and failed.

Slack

I don't know anyone stupid enough to ride without one - KIDDING!

Every bike manufacturer in the world wouldn't spend the money to put one on if it wasn't required. Do you have any idea how hard companies work to shave 3 grams off a sport bike? It all adds up. And if they could just throw that part in the bin it would be a much easier and cheaper alternative.

I have a feeling that it was a known risk 100 years ago. Eventually someone figured out a little deflective guard was all you needed to stay safe and everyone else jumped on board. There weren't accident stats kept back then, so of course you won't find any mention of it.

Do you wear a helmet? Not everyone is convinced that they help keep you safer either.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-07-04-motorcycle-helmet-protest-death_n.htm
Quote from: MeeLee on June 07, 2015, 07:14:25 PM
Be aware, this is not very wise advise!

jdoorn14

While it may be unlikely that someone will be injured by a chain snapping at speed, at least, directly by the snapped chain, the chain guard helps prevent stuff from getting snagged by and caught in the chain and to an extent to catch the spray of the wax. If a chain snaps at speed, you are far more likely to be injured by the bike wreck the broken chain causes by whatever else it hits, wraps around, etc.

In some areas requiring motorcycle inspections, you can be failed for not having a proper chain guard mounted.

As with all other riding and motorcycle mods, your preference and acceptance of risk may be higher than mine. Do what you want at your own risk.
It seems it has become necessary to qualify my posts:
I am/am not trying to start an argument. This post is/is not intended to be a personal attack. I am/am not merely attempting to present a different viewpoint.

Select the words that apply to you.

gregjet

A poorly installed non clip link is much more likely to break than a clipped joining link properly installed.  I only run clip joining link and have done for over 40 years of riding and racing. NEVER had a chain break...EVER. NOTE properly installed. It also allows you to easily remove and properly clean you chain, although that is as necessary these days.
Press links can be easily mis-installed. Even properly installed they are no stronger than a clip joining link. Same pin size, same roller size, same plate size...same strength.
Chain guides are not required for racing and racing regs are so strict on safety, if it was regarded as a safety issue they would be. You even have to lock wire your pinch bolts in your forks, even when they are only the equivalent of a locking device...
However , If you ride on the road almost all jurisdictions require a chain guard ( it never says why if the legislation). And if you don't have a chain guard and actually maintain your chain properly you are going to have crap all over the place on the chain side of you bike . INCLUDING the sides of the tyre. That is definitely a problem

Janx101

Ooh you've done it now Gregjet! .. you said a clip is better! .... I'll just watch from this mountain top bunker in another country! ;)

Would've gone for a bunker on Mars but Elon Musk is dragging the chain eh! :thumb:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk