Best regards from Türkiye :) New member and have some questions :)

Started by Navy, April 07, 2018, 12:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navy

Hello gents, i've been looking for this moment to sign on this forum, here i am.

I am from Türkiye apperantly, and i will be a GS500 owner in a couple of days.  :D

So let me tell you the story about the bike.

GS500's are not imported to my country after 2004 and we dont have the F model, we only have the naked one.

I've recently found a gem.

First owner (60 years old retired police owner) in a full original status (even the mirrors, turn indicators, everything is original, even the tires are 2004 year made, of course i'll be putting on Rosso 2's asap :) )

The bike is on 31.000 km's, owner says he changed oil every 5000 km's with oil filter as well.

I believe its the cleanest GS500 left on my country and i jumped it the moment i saw it.

We made the deal, he sent me the videos of bikes condition, working sounds etc ( if you want to hear it and advise me i can put a link for you )

I know GS500 is a very durable and rigid bike but i have some questions if you would like to help out a new brother. :)

1- Which stuff i should be careful about when i will examining the bike (not seen it yet, will go to the man 3-4 days later and if i like it i will buy it )

2- How is the engine life on GS500's ? I believe 31.000 km's is a low number for GS, i believe it has way too many lives left in the engine block.

3- Can i go for 110/70R17 150/60R17 when i'm buying brand new tires, or if i shouldnt which ones are recommended for me ? ( i would like to go for bigger tryes because its a 500 CC bike, you know, for reasons :) )

4- How is the parts foundability ? If i need a part, can i find it on internet easily, prefably brand new ? ( i can use ebay amazon or paypal )

That is my questions so far, i'm very very open to advises so, feel free to leave em here.

It's a honour to join you guys and your family. I'm so glad i'm here :)

Take care, ride safe.

The Buddha

Welcome and put pics of the bike up.
On a naked 04 - you wont have any problems, the plastics are shared through 09 and other parts as well.
Regular use and regular maintenance - nothing to beat that.
31K  KM is about 20K miles. Yea easy to get to 80K mile range with regular use and maintenance.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

MichaelM3

Hi and Welcome.

As Buddha said - " Regular use and regular maintenance - nothing to beat that."
These bikes thrive on use and oil changes.
When you're looking around the forum just take a note of how many times a 'sad story' will start with "the bike's been sitting for..."
At 31000ks, with an oil change every 5000ks (and probably one at 1000ks), your bike has seen seven oil changes - ideal.  :thumb:

The only other things to look out for are simple old age problems - those bits that don't actually wear out but just get old - brake lines, fuel lines, rubber boots etc.
If the bike is in absolutely stock condition and running well - seriously consider leaving it that way. (Maybe swap the standard spark plugs for an Iridium option, they are more expensive but they have a much longer service life and, just from my experience, produce a better fuel burn.)

As for tyres (Michelin should pay me for this) the Michelin Street Radials offer great wet and dry grip and a looooong service life.

Have fun.

Bluesmudge

Most 150 width tires will not fit. Tires that wide will rub on the rear brake support arm. You can bend that arm but since you found such a clean GS you should stick with 130 or 140 width tires and resist the urge to modify a pristine bike. I recommend pirelli sport demons. The bike was designed to run on bias ply tires.

sledge

I was in Turkey a few years ago and saw one parked up at Yatagan power station near Milas.
Didn't know they made it to Turkey.

J_Walker

a taller tire makes a difference on the GS too. also makes the tires look less anemic, despite being the same width tire.  :thumb:
-Walker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk