Main Menu

1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben2go

Quote from: Shepa on June 10, 2011, 10:40:47 PM
Quote from: ben2go on June 10, 2011, 01:21:36 PM
Quote from: kml.krk on June 10, 2011, 01:10:56 PM
yeah but judging by electrical outlet in Shepa's garage he is located somewhere in Europe, unless he's got retrofitted 220V outlet for his welder.
If he is in Europe inspection requirements may be different.

It seems logical though that if everything works you should be able to legally ride a modified vehicle providing you have paperwork for parts.

He is some where across the pond.I ask where in an earlier post but he isn't given up the location of Shepa Skunk Works.
:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:
Sorry, I didn't bother to reveal the big secret, since it's written in my profile.
And yes... Croatia is in Europe.  :D

Nice.I hear that your area is a nice place to visit.I hope to visit Europe when I retire.I'm semi retired at the moment.
PICS are GONE never TO return.

Shepa

Well... nothing much over the weekend... except the first starting of the engine inside GS frame...  :icon_mrgreen:

I must say... the thing sounds MEAN, like it wants to rip someone's leg off... I think I'll rename the bike to "Pure Evil".
It even wants to jump off the kickstand when revved, although there's no chain on sprockets yet...  :o
We had some carb issues, but everything's solved.

And yeah... as you can see, the Tesla man is on-board, although he's not much of a talker... he's a worker!!!
And what a work it is...

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Btw, today some eBay stuff arrived.  :woohoo:

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Twism86

Nice work both of you guys. I cant wait to see how they turn out.

Nice signature cbrfxr67  :icon_lol:
First bike - 2002 GS500E - Sold
Current - 2012 Triumph Street Triple R
"Its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"

Tom

The Buddha

Quote from: Shepa on June 02, 2011, 03:05:32 PM
The engine is going to be fixed at all the mounts possible, and the front frame will be made from thicker pieces of tubing (GS's tubing is like a bad joke, when you cut it and actually see what you're riding).

Oh I've cut it plenty ... the big cruisers too awfully thin paper thin literally, the GS tank and exhaust pipe is thicker than the frame almost.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

crzydood17

is your next upgrade going to be a full carbon fiber frame to support such insanity? I request videos of running bike!
2004 GS500F (Sold)
2001 GS500 (being torn apart)
1992 GS500E (being rebuilt)

cbrfxr67

Everytime I climb over my mountain of van parts I longingly look at the waiting GS.  So far got engine, trans, dash, wiring harness (any1 ever pulled a wiring harness out of a van-shaZam!), subframe, fenders, tank, miscellaneous crap, off and am going for the rear axle, then glass, doors odds n ends next.  Getting closer to getting back on the GS project, day by day.
Shepa:  what'd you get? >> "Btw, today some eBay stuff arrived"   What kind of issues did you have with carbs?  Please elaborate?  For me, the most pita part has always been carbs.  Syncing them was #1 problem eliminator after cleaning them over and over (and over x15).
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Shepa

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on June 13, 2011, 10:54:55 AM
Everytime I climb over my mountain of van parts I longingly look at the waiting GS.  So far got engine, trans, dash, wiring harness (any1 ever pulled a wiring harness out of a van-shaZam!), subframe, fenders, tank, miscellaneous crap, off and am going for the rear axle, then glass, doors odds n ends next.  Getting closer to getting back on the GS project, day by day.
Shepa:  what'd you get? >> "Btw, today some eBay stuff arrived"   What kind of issues did you have with carbs?  Please elaborate?  For me, the most pita part has always been carbs.  Syncing them was #1 problem eliminator after cleaning them over and over (and over x15).
Sorry, I guess the eBay link didn't work, I ordered some (Chinese) replicas of CB400 SuperFour speedo/tach gauges, and they seem pretty close to the real thing.
I'll have to wait to test 'em on the road to tell the difference.  :icon_mrgreen:

Anyway... the wiring is slowly getting in it's place, and the GS airbox needs a slight modification to make room for wires and coolant bottle.

About the carbs... well one of 'em is flooding occasionally, couldn't pinpoint the exact reason, everything seems in order, the needles, the floaters, jets... everything's cleaned and functional, with no signs of wear.
Perhaps the engine needs a little bit of riding till everything sits in it's right place. Afterall, it's been sitting in PO's shed for the last 5 or 6 years.

It's gonna be ok when I attach the hose to the petcock, so the vacuum won't let it flood, but I'm not quite happy knowing it's not 100% as I want it to be.

Quote from: crzydood17 on June 13, 2011, 10:33:10 AM
is your next upgrade going to be a full carbon fiber frame to support such insanity? I request videos of running bike!
:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:
Hahahaha, I hope it won't be needed, but thanks for the idea.  :thumb:

Anyway... the other day a friend came to Tesla's garage, stood there puzzled for a minute or so, and then asked me why am I doing it, why bother when I could sell my (perfectly running) GS, add a money I've spent on 17 years old CBR and buy myself "a proper bike" like... Hornet or something... (Btw, he has a 2006 CBR1000RR Repsol Edition).
I said... "where's the fun in that"?

And besides... if I live to tell, imagine owning a one of the only two such bikes in the World... one in Europe (mine), the other one in The States (cbrfxr67's).  :icon_mrgreen:

werase643

where does the radiator fit in this picture
want Iain's money to support my butt in kens shop

xunedeinx

Shepa

Quote from: werase643 on June 13, 2011, 04:32:43 PM
where does the radiator fit in this picture
The usuall place, only it's not mounted yet.  :thumb:

cbrfxr67

"where's the fun in that"?  :cheers:  Exactly!!!!
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

reload

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" Robert Francis Kennedy

just keep on keepin on  :cheers:

Shepa

There... radiator in it's place.

There are no clearance issues, not with fender, nor with forks, and even the fan isn't touching anything.

ben2go

A hard bump may send the fender up into the radiator.I'd strap it down real good and then check the clearance between the fender and radiator.
PICS are GONE never TO return.

crzydood17

everyones style is there own... but imho the radiator looks a little meh... ever thought of doing a fairing?
2004 GS500F (Sold)

Shepa

Quote from: ben2go on June 15, 2011, 08:10:13 PM
A hard bump may send the fender up into the radiator.I'd strap it down real good and then check the clearance between the fender and radiator.
True, but the springs have enough preload not to (35mm longer spacers). We'll see after the first test ride.

Quote from: crzydood17 on June 15, 2011, 09:47:47 PM
everyones style is there own... but imho the radiator looks a little meh... ever thought of doing a fairing?
Nah... I'm really not into faired bikes, I've always been a fan of naked ones. If there's no engine visible... it just looks like a plastic toy to me.

It does look a bit Frankensteinish, but I believe the gas tank over it will change the perspective.
And if it doesn't... well... I'll just have to get used to it.  :dunno_black:

crzydood17

chrome the radiator perhaps? or color match the endcaps to the rest of the bike? might make it blend in more and not be so boooing
2004 GS500F (Sold)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk