News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

RESOLVED: Should clutch fully disengage?

Started by snuffy, November 26, 2018, 07:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snuffy

Hi,

I had a flat battery the other day, my fault. I put my 2006 GS500F into 2nd gear, held the clutch in and tried to bump start it, but there was too much resistance to push it. I had to put it into neutral, push like hell, jump on, drop into 2nd gear and release the clutch. (I wasn't able to bump start it, as I couldn't get it going fast enough). I thought holding the clutch in would disengage everything and make it easy to push? I have adjusted the clutch since, in the three locations (lever, sprocket cover, and screw and locknut behind the plate on the sprocket cover) as described in several places online. The bite point is normal, but the result is the same.

Is this expected behaviour on a bike clutch or do I have a problem?

Watcher

If the bike is cold there may be a lot of "stiction" on the clutch plates.  The resistance is basically from oil holding some of the clutch plates together, despite the lever releasing the pack.

Have you tried the same thing after letting the engine run for a few seconds even?
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

mr72

While it may have some drag even when cold, if it's so much that you can't move the bike in gear with the clutch all the way in then I'd try a clutch adjustment first.

snuffy

@watcher: thanks, it does move when it has been running, tested it this evening after riding back from work.

@mr72: when you say a "clutch adjustment"... do you mean the three adjustment points I mentioned I had done or something else? I'm not aware of other adjustments I can make (I'm new... this is my first bike).

Watcher

Quote from: snuffy on November 29, 2018, 10:55:49 AM
@watcher: thanks, it does move when it has been running, tested it this evening after riding back from work.

Cool, glad it was simple.

Quote from: snuffy on November 29, 2018, 10:55:49 AM
when you say a "clutch adjustment"... do you mean the three adjustment points I mentioned I had done or something else? I'm not aware of other adjustments I can make (I'm new... this is my first bike).

3-point clutch adjustment is pretty standard "if something is wrong try this first", that's the only major adjustment I am aware of second to just replacing the entire clutch system, lol!
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Suzuki Stevo

Farm Trick...
#1 Change your oil
#2 Take your bike out for a 30 minute ride to get the oil HOT
#3 Take all of the Free Play out of the cable at the lever end
#4 Tie the lever back to the grip overnight
#5 Thank me in the morning CCPDYMMV 
I Ride: at a speed that allows me to ride again tomorrow AN400K7, 2016 TW200, Boulevard M50, 2018 Indian Scout, 2018 Indian Chieftain Classic

Endopotential

Quote from: Suzuki Stevo on December 01, 2018, 12:27:03 PM
Farm Trick...
#5 Thank me in the morning CCPDYMMV

I know "Your mileage may vary" but what the heck is CCPD?  Central City Police Dept?
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/140 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

Suzuki Stevo

I Ride: at a speed that allows me to ride again tomorrow AN400K7, 2016 TW200, Boulevard M50, 2018 Indian Scout, 2018 Indian Chieftain Classic

snuffy

Stevo... I have no idea what that does, but I'll try it. Feel free to explain it to me like I'm 5!  Thanks.

snuffy

Update: Did as Stevo suggested, I think it made a slight difference, but not much. Bike still grabs/lurches a bit when putting into first gear after starting up in the morning, but from all your advice that's normal and from the clutch plates sticking together initially. Thanks all.

Suzuki Stevo

Koo....every time you change your oil, try my suggestion, your just trying to get fresh oil between the plates, I have done it for years, results vary from bike to bike :dunno_black: 

snuffy

Thanks, after some reading I figured it out. Makes sense. I've added it to my maintenance list for when I do my oil change next.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk