News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

04-07 Honda CRF250X Petcock-Purchase And Install Thread-Pics*UPDATE*

Started by ben2go, May 18, 2011, 08:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben2go

Credit for this mod needs to go to slowinthestraights.Here is his original post http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=36958.0 I only did a "how to" with pics.

I went ahead and started this thread before I even have my parts in hand.I finally gave up on trying to repair, or rig, the stock GS petcock.I ordered a 2004-07 CRF250X petcock part number 16950-KSC-003.I order it from www.powersportspro.com  and it costed me $30.07 that includes shipping.When it gets here I will do a write up with pics on how to install it.I will include a fuel routing diagram.Please make note that the only CRF250 that has this petcock is the X model,AKA CRF250X.There are also listed two different CRF250X models.Both use the same petcock.So either one will work because the petcocks are the same.I know that the CRF450 also works but has a higher price.My modified GS petcock has started leaking internally,so I figured why not just do the CRF petcock.

Petcock,that sounds like a pet name a Dominatrix would give her submissive boy toy.  :icon_lol:
PICS are GONE never TO return.

ben2go

Make sure your tank petcock is turned off before changing petcocks.The notch will be horizontal when it's in the off position.

Here is the 2004-07 Honda CRF250X petcock.

To make the petcock fit, the locator tab needs to be filed/grind down.

I used these.They cost me $2.99 at Harbor Freight.

It took me about 15 minutes to file the tab off, like so.

The petcock will brace to the frame using the edge.

Installed using original hardware.I will do something with the wiring.Note that I marked the reserve hose barb with an R.

Here is a way to remember what barb is what on the tank petcock.The lower hanging barb takes fuel from a lower level.

JP86NYC

So I just ordered this from my local dealer yesterday, as per your recommendation. How does the hose routing go? Main, reserve, and "to carbs"? Is that it?

By the way, is it working well for you? A clear improvement over OEM?
JP

ben2go

Quote from: JP86NYC on June 03, 2011, 09:06:55 AM
So I just ordered this from my local dealer yesterday, as per your recommendation. How does the hose routing go? Main, reserve, and "to carbs"? Is that it?

Works great for me.Way better than OEM.Just gotta remember to shut off the petcock when you park the bike for more than an hour or more.This stops the engine and crank case from being flooded with fuel in case one of the floats hang open.It's common for this to happen on GS.

Just need to cap the vacuum port that supplied vacuum to the original petcock.On the tank petcock the long barb has an R stamped next to it on the mounting flange.That is the reserve and the short barb is the ON.Some are stamped with an O on the mounting flange next to the short barb.It is as simple as routing the hoses to the proper barbs on the petcock.You may need a longer hose from the carbs to the petcock.I did.Also don't forget to turn off the tank petcock or fuel will go every where when you pull the old one off.Also don't forget to turn it back on when all the hoses are reconnected.

MrTeek

Great write up! I'm going to give this a try as my petcock is broken. Question about plugging the vaccuum port...What and where is this port? Couldn't find it in the parts diagram.
1995 GS500E. Mods: Katana shock, fenderectomy, 2000+ tailight conversion, blacked out rims.

ben2go

Quote from: MrTeek on June 04, 2011, 12:29:27 PM
Great write up! I'm going to give this a try as my petcock is broken. Question about plugging the vaccuum port...What and where is this port? Couldn't find it in the parts diagram.

See this thread for the vacuum ports. http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=56530.0

paalak

Hey Ben, thanks for the write-up, I may try this the next time I remove my gas tank. I'm wondering if this would work on a 2004+ California GS, with the canister and the crazy vacuum hose routing? (You may remember the diagram I recently posted.) I'm wondering if switching the petcock would eliminate some of the complexity and potential vacuum leaks introduced by all those hoses and 3-way connectors.

ben2go

Quote from: paalak on June 04, 2011, 04:00:19 PM
Hey Ben, thanks for the write-up, I may try this the next time I remove my gas tank. I'm wondering if this would work on a 2004+ California GS, with the canister and the crazy vacuum hose routing? (You may remember the diagram I recently posted.) I'm wondering if switching the petcock would eliminate some of the complexity and potential vacuum leaks introduced by all those hoses and 3-way connectors.

If you live in a state that doesn't do emissions checks,you could remove everything and cap all the vacuum ports.You would need to route a hose from the carb vent down behind the engine.If you live in a state that does emissions checks,you can cap the T off where the petcock vacuum line attaches.From looking at the vacuum hose diagram,it appears that the emissions stuff is only there to keep the fuel system from vent gas fumes to the atmosphere.

Only cap here if you need emissions equipment.

I am still researching how to eliminate all the emissions crap from the carbs.I really need to see the inside of the tops of the 06+ carbs and the inside of the top of the carbs.Anyone wanna send me there 06+ carbs to have the emissions crap eliminated?

paalak

I hope someone takes you up on the free carb upgrade. I'd send you my 2008 carbs, but it's my only bike and I wouldn't want to be unable to ride for a week or two during the riding season. Maybe in a few months though, or if I leave town or something.

ben2go

Quote from: paalak on June 05, 2011, 05:35:31 PM
I hope someone takes you up on the free carb upgrade. I'd send you my 2008 carbs, but it's my only bike and I wouldn't want to be unable to ride for a week or two during the riding season. Maybe in a few months though, or if I leave town or something.

I hope so.I'd like to do write up so everyone would know what the deal is with the emissions crap.What can go,what can stay,and what does what.

LimaXray

Quote from: ben2go on June 05, 2011, 08:04:27 AM
I am still researching how to eliminate all the emissions crap from the carbs.I really need to see the inside of the tops of the 06+ carbs and the inside of the top of the carbs.Anyone wanna send me there 06+ carbs to have the emissions crap eliminated?

I'm probably going to have my carbs off in the next week or so for a rerejet and will take off the top covers while they're out.  They need a bench and impact driver to remove.  I'll definitely take and post pics of what I find.

One question I do have about removing the automatic petcock and capping the vacuum line is if it would cause problems for CA riders.  I know they are crazy out there about their emissions regulations in cars and unapproved modifications are strictly forbidden.  I wonder if they are as strict with motorcycles and if they would have to verify the bike's routing against that diagram to pass emissions testing.
'05 GS500 : RU-2970 Lunchbox : V&H Exhaust : 20/65/145 : 15T : LED Dash : Sonic Springs : Braided Front Brake Line : E conversion with Buell Dual Headlight : SW-Motech Engine Gaurds ...

ben2go

Quote from: LimaXray on June 06, 2011, 04:47:37 AM
Quote from: ben2go on June 05, 2011, 08:04:27 AM

I'm probably going to have my carbs off in the next week or so for a rerejet and will take off the top covers while they're out.  They need a bench and impact driver to remove.  I'll definitely take and post pics of what I find.

One question I do have about removing the automatic petcock and capping the vacuum line is if it would cause problems for CA riders.  I know they are crazy out there about their emissions regulations in cars and unapproved modifications are strictly forbidden.  I wonder if they are as strict with motorcycles and if they would have to verify the bike's routing against that diagram to pass emissions testing.

Those pics should help if you can post them.

Removing the petcock won't effect emissions.It's just T'd in to get vacuum to operate it.I don't see it being an issue,but I would ask the person that does the emissions checks to be sure.If you explain to the person how the petcock uses vacuum to operate they should be OK with the change.

ben2go

JP86NYC

Quote from: ben2go on June 03, 2011, 09:48:23 AM
Quote from: JP86NYC on June 03, 2011, 09:06:55 AM

Works great for me.Way better than OEM.Just gotta remember to shut off the petcock when you park the bike for more than an hour or more.This stops the engine and crank case from being flooded with fuel in case one of the floats hang open.It's common for this to happen on GS.

Just need to cap the vacuum port that supplied vacuum to the original petcock.On the tank petcock the long barb has an R stamped next to it on the mounting flange.That is the reserve and the short barb is the ON.Some are stamped with an O on the mounting flange next to the short barb.It is as simple as routing the hoses to the proper barbs on the petcock.You may need a longer hose from the carbs to the petcock.I did.Also don't forget to turn off the tank petcock or fuel will go every where when you pull the old one off.Also don't forget to turn it back on when all the hoses are reconnected.

Easy question: what do you use to cap the vacuum port on the carb??
JP

warlock214

I found the caps at Autozone. I'm sure any automotive parts store will have them.
'91 GS500E

ben2go

I use standard automotive vacuum caps.Nothing fancy and any parts store will have them.You can also cut the vacuum line short and plug the line with a small bolt or screw.I had problems with this set up vibrating off so I don't recommend it.Others have had better luck with it and that's why I mention it.

numus

Maybe this is why my bike always smells like gas when i leave it sitting in a garage for a day or so...
2006 GSX600F (Katana) - Ananke

ben2go

Quote from: numus on August 08, 2011, 04:14:02 AM

Maybe this is why my bike always smells like gas when i leave it sitting in a garage for a day or so...

If your bike is flooding from stuck floats,then there will be fuel in the crankcase.Pull the dip stick and see if there is a gas odor come through the hole.If the carbs are flooding bad,gas will pool in the air box or drip from the air filter(K&N). The fuel cap also vents to atmosphere on non CA bikes,so that can give off a gas smell.This usually only happens on warm to hot days.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk