News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Have you seen this happen on a stock GS500 headlight?

Started by IdaSuzi, June 05, 2019, 06:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IdaSuzi

So I noticed the headlight, that I pilfered from an older GS500E for my naked conversion, has some weird problems with the internal reflector. It appears it is melting or peeling for some reason. The headlight seems to work pretty well still, especially with the high beams on. On a side note I am looking at different 7" LED projectors anyways. I just wanted to know if this is common and if it is a result of a wrong bulb or something. Thanks  :thumb:

1998 RM125
1995 RM250
1999 Yamaha Banshee (Kind of a bike???)
1993 DR350
2008 GS500F naked conversion, Kat 600 shock, Yoshi Slip On, Progressive Springs, 20/62.5/140 rejet, Fenderectomy, LED Front and Rear Signals

ShowBizWolf

That is wild! I don't recall ever seeing or reading about that happening in the 7+ years I've been on this forum.

When I still had the stock round headlight on my '98, I loved the "Native H4" LED bulb I bought from advmonster.com. It was bright, had a really nice beam pattern, allowed the charging system to relax a bit and was affordable.

They have since brought out a new bulb (as indicated in this link here http://stores.advmonster.com/native-h4/) and I'd be curious to try it out if I still had the stock headlight housing on my bike.

Idk if you'd be interested in going that route (I know you said about projectors) but I figured I'd share anyways.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

qcbaker

My guess would be water penetration. It looks like water has somehow gotten between the reflective coating and the housing itself and is now causing it to corrode and peel away. The one taillight on my car has a similar issue and there are parts of the reflective coating that are peeling away.

Kilted1

Looks like something inside the nacelle got really hot and caused the coating in the headlight reflector to melt.  Could be heat from the HID lamp, which an LED replacement would certainly cure.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk