1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil B

Now yer talking!

So... dont keep us waiting too long with your pictures of that project ;)

cbrfxr67

Xune where's the build thread??  I keep looking but I'm missing- oh there it is,....just posted on your gsxf600 thread!  Rockin!!

Yesterday finished mounting tank to frame.  Used some new bits from Astro that are drill bits on the end but morph into taps midway through.  Drill and tap at once and makes sure you use the right sized bit for the screw size.  (Astro Pneumatic #9452)  So, got tank set up and ran it for a short while.  Smoking electrical tape close to rectifier caught my attention plus it seemed to be backfiring a bit.  I keep a rectifier on the shelf, just in case, so grabbed it and swapped out my old one.  The resin had cracked years ago on the old one, but never gave me trouble til now.  With the new one on there, sounded clean and crisp again.  Revved a little bit then shut it off. 

Added some 'easy charge' cables to battery posts since it is too far up under tank to clip on the clamps.  Also completely hacked my old GS tank.  Cut out a huge section of it to be able to turn it into a 'cover.'  I forsee going back and trying to make a new tank eventually with bigger capacity.  If anything, I've learned alot recently in building this first tank.

Today, going to work on wiring up front and start tucking it in.  I want to get some loom to tidy it up, down the side.  I don't want to nip and tuck it and then have problems and have to take all that shaZam apart again.  I'd rather use some loom and put the extra behind the headlight.
Also, want to work on tank 'cover' and set the tail up.  Tail needs gorilla glue repairs, then can start cleaning it up.  Really want to put my fender on there.  Might sand it down and get to repairing it.  I typically only buy cracked bodywork, fix it and respray it.  Fender has a fat crack down the backside but mounting holes are good.  Thinking of a hugger too, I seem to recall one of the members selling a hot little one.  Need to look that up.  Ok time to get to work,.....

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Funderb

@OP

I see you are in the...

"WTF! I just want all this nitpicky stuff to be done why is it taking so long, the bulk work was so fast and easssyyy!"

... stage of custom building something.

I know exactly, the feeling. I cant wait to see this thing running the roads.
Black '98 gs500 k&n Lbox, akrapovic slip-on, kat600 shock, progressive sproings, superbike handlebars, 40/147.5/3.5washers

"I'd rather ride then spend all my time fiddling trying to make it run perfectly." -Bombsquad

"Never let the destination cast a shadow over your journey towards it- live life"

cbrfxr67

Funder,..exactly right.  I didn't get crap done the other day.  Got plenty of frustrated though.  Worked on wiring up front and seemed like more I was doing, the less was getting done.  How does that work?  Ended up throwing in the towel after an hour or so.  My wise boss (older gearhead) once told me: 'Put your stuff up and come back to it.  Things that were baffling you before will work out and you'll be wondering why you were having such a hard time previously.'
Basically took headlight off, Rapidfixed (this is a great product if you've never tried it) a crack in the back of it, learned I needed a bulb, cut down and shaped the bracket better,  & ziptied wiring and stuffed it under the gauge pod, oh and frustrating part was tank still giving me a headache (mounting).  Ordered a bulb and some wire loom, so waiting for it to get here.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Tonight was having fun.  Mosquitos were out in force so started it up and filled up the garage with fumes.  Mosquitos hate exhaust. 
Wired in my tail light and got happy with the bright led glow.  It is integrated but I haven't decided if I want to use it that way or not.

Then played around with my gigantic fender.  I like big fenders.  Had to trim the far side to clear the caliper.  I'll have to do some creative work to use this as there is nothing to mount from.  You can see the grand canyon crack in it.

Last tossed on broke, misaligned and scarred pieces to see how the 'outline' was shaping up.  Yes it looks terrible but I see where it is going and am happy with how the lines are coming together slowly.

-buddha

codajastal

WTF? Is that tank weird looking or is it just me? ;)
I am not interested in anything you have to say
Don't bother talking to me, I will not answer you

xunedeinx

cbrfxr67

xune that looks fzantastic!  Love the tip!

Today, worked on the 'cover' for the tank.  I forgot how hard it is to weld on ultra thin metal.  Finally started getting the hang of it again after multiple blow throughs and spitting and sputtering.  Seems like you could easily stab a screwdriver through the metal that the tank is made out of.  Maybe it just seems that way and really it is fine.  So, that's all I did today.  My son expressed how ugly my tank creation was after I posted the pic the other day, but I told him it isn't finished yet.  The 'cover' will conceal that monstrosity.  Would've taken pics but my phone battery died out.  I'd like to document how it comes together since right now it is fuuuu-uuuhgly.
-buddha

Shepa

I'm applauding you for the effort and persistence you're showing with the tank mod, but once again, I'm suggesting the much more easier way (and preserving the full GS tank capacity), by creating custom stainless steel air intake system.
At least it's easier to weld 2mm thick stainless steel plate than hair thin tank material.
:icon_mrgreen:

Btw, I had to modify that K&N drop in filter, because of the CBR engine's thirst for air (only downside of not using cbr's airbox).
With K&N I've experienced a bit of pull hesitation near 10k rpms, so I had to grind K&N's intake port to a maximum possible opening, now the engine's hitting redline at 13-14k with no problem (tested in third gear).
Finally I'm satisfied with filtered air supply (ever since completion of project, I've been ridin filterless :icon_mrgreen:, because of choking symptoms due to Gs' low airbox volume), so my fear was the cylinders will get grinded by sand, dust or something else sucked in while riding.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

cbrfxr67

Thanks Shepa, but I must applaud you for actually finishing this and been riding for a year now!   :bowdown:

I'm getting there.  Fortunately I have my other F2/3 to ride and am not hurting for a bike.  I'm pretty sure that is the only reason I am not sweating the delay.  Otherwise I'd be Tombstone aggravated and do it your way (the way that works).  It is a challenge for me to get this right and have it come together.  Although a pita, if I can do it, I'll really feel like I did something neat.  If I fail then I'll try something else.

Oh Shep, you forgot to add a pic with your last post.  :thumb:
-buddha

Shepa

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on February 20, 2012, 08:00:26 AM
Oh Shep, you forgot to add a pic with your last post.  :thumb:
Oooops! You're absolutely right! :icon_mrgreen:
Here you can see that I grinded the K&N intake port almost completely to the wiring.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

cbrfxr67

Shepa rockin' the pics,..

Yesterday spent chasing electrical problem.  No headlight.  Turn signals and horn work fine, but no power to headlight so got out meter and started checking everything.  Traced up to the low/high switch but not sure if that is it.  I have power up to that and nothing at the switch or, of course to the light.  Will mess with it more later. 

Today rode my 600 and f-r stalled on me.  Pulled out of traffic, because I had a hunch it was going retarded, into a big church parking lot and it crapped out.  Let it sit for about ten minutes, cranked it and it started fine, burbled some but didn't stall.  Got home, and let it sit there idling, waiting for it to stall and of course it didn't.  Stupid carbs.
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Worked out my electrical issue yesterday.  Had power through the harness to the horn and to the turn signals but not to the headlight.  Power to the switch made the light work, but it wouldn't work through the harness.  Anyways, went in & rewired the headlight to the switch and works fine now.  Pic is me testing what works vs what doesn't. 

After that, took it out and rode around.  After warm up (valves soon) it ran like a champ.  It was the first time I really hammered it up and down the street.  Position felt tighter and much more centered than on my F2.  Needless to say it was really fun.  Today, sewing up wiring and more cosmetic work.
-buddha

xunedeinx

Picture of the video w/ the gas tank cover and video of it running + revs all ready!!!!!

cbrfxr67

Xune videos only in victory,....I'm still far from it.  Speaking of that, check out the 'before and after' thread.  I updated the F3 with a pic of it after the guy wrecked it.  doh!

Put my giant light back on and taped up connections yesterday.  Went back to work on tank cover,....
-buddha

xunedeinx

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on February 27, 2012, 08:09:54 AM
Xune videos only in victory,....I'm still far from it.  Speaking of that, check out the 'before and after' thread.  I updated the F3 with a pic of it after the guy wrecked it.  doh!

Put my giant light back on and taped up connections yesterday.  Went back to work on tank cover,....

Ill GIVE you my fairings + stay and stuff if you pay shipping, just cause that headlight looks awful (in my eyes)

Shipping may be around 40-60 bucks, but itll include all mounts and fairing stay and headlight.

Offers out there for ya brother.

cbrfxr67

Thanks xune.  DON'T think I didn't want to buy them from you when I saw your For Sale thread awhile back.  If this front end, tank, tail configuration come out looking whack and if you still have them, I'll sure take you up on it.  I just want to try this and see how it comes out first.  :icon_mrgreen:
-buddha

xunedeinx

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on February 27, 2012, 11:14:33 AM
Thanks xune.  DON'T think I didn't want to buy them from you when I saw your For Sale thread awhile back.  If this front end, tank, tail configuration come out looking whack and if you still have them, I'll sure take you up on it.  I just want to try this and see how it comes out first.  :icon_mrgreen:

I'm willing to support a person with plastic I dont need in order to achieve the ultimate goal of awesomeness!

mysterious_rider

Interesting project, but im really not a fan of that snowmobile light and that tank.  :icon_lol:

Tombstones81

Nice build!
been watchin but a lil too much for my knowledge atm to Fully appreciate in the mechanical sense.

94 GS500
01 Engine
Personally repainted!  (Traded)

87 Honda VF700C Magna
(Super Magna)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk