News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

question about handlebar bends

Started by mr72, January 31, 2019, 09:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr72

So I am trying to mount a different handlebar on my Triumph and I have run into an annoyance.

To get everything installed and lined up correctly, the brake lever clamp happens to encroach over the spot where the bar begins to bend by about 1/4". As a result, if I tighten the clamp, the lever is not parallel to the grip.

I would like to find a way to use this handlebar. It's hard to make it longer :)  But I do have ideas about how to do that as sort of a last resort.

Is there any other good solution to get the lever to line up? Or is this just one of those "you got the wrong handlebar" kind of things.

mr72

FYI in case anyone cares, I did solve this issue. I got a 1/2" PVC cap, cut it to about 10mm long, drilled a hole in the center, and used that as a handlebar end extension. This is secured on because it's basically a spacer under my bar end mirrors.

In other news, bar end mirrors with those cheap rubber expansion plugs to secure them won't fit in an alloy handlebar because the inside diameter of the handlebar tubing is too small. I have alloy bars on both of my bikes. I did find a set of bar end plugs with good adjustable alloy expansion nuts that fit on Amazon for only $8 but they took forever to get here. They're working on the Triumph, will get another set for the GS so I can put bar end mirrors on it as well. I'm converted on bar end mirrors!

cbrfxr67

Never tried them.  How's the view?
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

mr72

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on March 01, 2019, 07:47:32 AM
Never tried them.  How's the view?

Well, the Napoleon mirrors on the Triumph are fantastic. Basically almost none of your arms are blocking the view  due to the mirror position being way at the outboard of your bars. I do have them turned "inward" and "upward"... mirrors above the bar and most of the mirror head inboard (not sticking out beyond the bar).

I intend to put a set of $20 Amazon bar end mirrors on the GS. I don't see any reason they won't work as well.

The view with bar end mirrors is far less obstructed by your arms than with lever-mount mirrors.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk