News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

Installing an R6 tail

Started by pantablo, December 14, 2004, 11:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pantablo

More detailed instructions when I can find them...sorry. Here's DOUGS early description.

"The nice thing. The front two mounting holes on the frame are a perfect location for the ones on the R6 tail. next nice thing: the R6 tail has several mounting holes on the bottom that were zip tied to the subframe.

Disadvantages/challenges. The frame sticks out about a half inch right near the end of the tail. I had to eliminate the fender completely to resolve this, except under the seat area but it's all gone at the rear. The plastic of the R6 tail touches the top of the wheel well., right in front of where the seat spring was in the middle. The stock R6 front seat wont mount due to shape of tank and what not. Also rubber mount on the bottom of seats don't line up with previous contact spots, so if I were to sit down on the seat I'd end up cracking the plastic of the new tail. Not to mention trying to find a way to make the passenger seat have support under it. The luggage rack stick way down and had to be cut off. The seat lock had to be relocated or hang down low. Overall teh subframe sits just in line with the bottom of the R6 tail. Overall I would recommend it if you have an older bike needing new rear bodywork and a little love. R6 tails can be had on ebay for about $60-$100.

I'm 6'1" and I actually redid my stock seat making it about 2 inches taller for a more comfortable seating position. This new tail will actually lower the seat height about an inch or two below stock, depending on how thick I build my own seat. Very bent seating position overall.
If I didn't carry a passenger with me, I'd buy the Airtech R6 race tail conversion and mount that... it would have fiberglass covering the seat section, I could just slap on some seat foam. Plus the back would be a solid unit, would have the little section where their is either a passenger seat or seat cowl... basically cleaner lines. If I were racing this is the way I'd go. It costs the same price as the airtech GS mono seat tail, plus it looks way cooler."

Special thanks to DOUG from GSTwin for providing this (too bad there weren't any pictures before he went back to stock to sell). Photo above from another member.
Pablo-
http://pantablo500.tripod.com/
www.pma-architect.com

Quote from: makenzie71 on August 21, 2006, 09:47:40 PM...not like normal sex, either...like sex with chicks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk