News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

tank size and range

Started by MrDan, August 24, 2006, 09:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrDan

So I was reading the GS wiki a few minutes ago (awesome!) and noticed something.  It says that the GS tank is 4.3 gal with .9 reserve for pre 2000.  On a single tank of gas on the new '89, I averaged 45.226 mpg.  On my '93 over 4500 miles, I averaged 48.579 mpg.  That means I should be able to go over 200 miles before I hit reserve.  So why do I need to flip at around 140?  Am I missing something here?  :dunno_white:

plusultra

I can't answer your question, but I do want to know if the GS has the same tank as any other bike, i saw a gsxr1000 and they looked similar...  cheers  :cheers:
2006 GS500F I Fenderectomy I Tail Light Turn Signal Integrator I PIAA Ultra white bulbs I L.E.D. Underglow I coming up:  15t front sprocket, clip ons, tire hugger

Cal Price

My '03 has a 19 or 20 litre tank depending wether you read the manual or the advertising, and i normal fill up around the 180 mile mark and very rarely hit the res.

20L is about 4.4 Uk gallons, so around 5.4 / 5.5 (?) US gallons just to confuse the issue. Either way you don't need to be filling up at 140.
Black Beemer  - F800ST.
In Cricket the testicular guard, or Box, was introduced in 1874. The helmet was introduced in 1974. Is there a message??

MrDan

I've never been able to go more than 140-150 before I have to turn to reserve.  Bone dry on the 93 (completely ran out of gas, none in the lines I don't believe) I only put in 3.59.  Maybe I just had junk in the tank .. Srinath - you finding just under a gallon of crap in there?

I'll test some with the 89, but I'd be surprised if I could ever hit 200.  That would rock!!

JAK1981

I got some good responces to a similar question. Check this out:

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=29604.0

The Buddha

Quote from: MrDan on August 24, 2006, 09:37:24 AM
I've never been able to go more than 140-150 before I have to turn to reserve.  Bone dry on the 93 (completely ran out of gas, none in the lines I don't believe) I only put in 3.59.  Maybe I just had junk in the tank .. Srinath - you finding just under a gallon of crap in there?

I'll test some with the 89, but I'd be surprised if I could ever hit 200.  That would rock!!

I didn't measure it ... I randomly shook the living daylights out of it ...
Also .9 reserve ... is that including or excluing the crap pocket gas. Like they should say ... 3.5 gallon tank + 1 gallon irretreivable crap pocket ... That might make sense.  :mad: ... i dunno, fill at 150, fill at 180 ... just dont run out of gas and walk ... and 48 to 45 mpg - its the jetting and maybe some related exuberance.
Cool.
Srinath.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

pandy

My commuter would have tantrums if I didn't fill him up every 100 miles...  :mad:
'06 SV650s (1 past Gixxer; 3 past GS500s)
I get blamed for EVERYTHING around here!
:woohoo:

natedawg120

If i run to reserve and go straight to a gas station and don't trickle fill the tank it will appear full after about 3.5 US gallons.  Since i have a post 2000 GS i should have a 5.3 gallon tank.  But if you do the math 3.5 and 1 don't equal 5.3.  I will get around 160 miles before reserve around town if i don't slow or trickle fill it.  You can squeeze a lot more gas in once the line hits the bottom of the fill neck, it just takes a while cause you have to wait for the gas to settle.
Bikeless in RVA

TragicImage

once I switch to reserve, IF I'M PATIENT, at the pump I can fit 4.0 gallons back into the tank on my 06. 

I can also get about 230, before reserve (about 56mpg??), out of a tank.... if I'm conciously trying to reserve fuel.
Impeach Pandy

2006 GS500F

Hipocracy.... becoming more acceptable with the more power you think you have.

jazerr

I filled up when I first got my 01. 156 miles later it was time for my second. When I filled, I did like 3.6gal. This is only 43mpg or so. WAY shy of the advertised 60, but still better than my suburban..../slap

Been riding at 43mpg two months now, and today I went dry at 120...I was like HOLY CRAP!!!!! OH NO!!! SOMETHINGS WRONG...

Then it occured to me that I've been playing around a lot and riding REALLY aggressively. Then I felt silly. This tank, I'me going to try to conserve as much as I can...see what I get.
::: '01 E ::: Lunchbox ::: Salami Sandwich ::: Broussard's Ignition Advancer ::: 20/62.5/142.5/2w/3 ::: Progressives w/1" spacers ::: homemade fenderectomy ::: F-16 tour shield w/a nice rash ::: One crash :::

GSTwin Shirts.

TragicImage

I don't know how you guys calculate mileage... but here is my best guess... at how I do it.

I don't divide my mileage by my tank capacity.  I divide my mileage by how much fuel I put in the PREVIOUS fill-up.

So my last fill up was 3.42 gallons.... so when I fill up again, I'll divide by that number.  I only fill up when my bike hits reserve.... and seeing as I live in a very metropolitan area, there are always gas stations near....  If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but its how I do it.
Impeach Pandy

2006 GS500F

Hipocracy.... becoming more acceptable with the more power you think you have.

MrDan

I do Miles ridden / gallons.  So if I ride 147 miles and fill up for 3.257, I averaged 45.23 mpg.  AFAIK, that's the proper way to do it.

You want to use the current fillup to determine the MPG of the last "tank" of gas.

PuddleJumper

I have an '04 model, bone stock.
My commute is 10 miles of freeway and 5 miles of city. I consistently get 52 MPG and hit reserve at 204-206 miles.
On a back road easy fun ride I have seen 62.98 MPG.
be   safe.
"Lo que no mata, engorda".

Codger

FWIW

7 day trip. 2005 F Stock

Worst 34.0 mpg, 75 mph in 5th gear with a 30 mph headwind.
Best 55.0 mpg
Average 3321 miles on 76 gallons = 43.7mpg almost all fast highway miles
He said "I don't know man, ah she kinda funny, you know".  I said "I know, everybody funny, now you funny too".  JLH OB,OS,OB

Acerbis dual sport lights, Progressive springs, Racetech Emulators, Kat600 shock, SW Motech rack, FIAMM 130dB horn, rejetted, Uni Socks, Fly 1010 Yam bars, Acewell 2803.

LeChatNoir

I've been kind of concerned about this, too, but my results are in line with others'...
I have to change to reserve at about 180 miles (give or take a few). I've never tested how far I can go on reserve; just fill it up within a few miles.

I've been tracking fuel economy since it was new, 1800 miles ago. I use TragicImage's method of dividing miles driven on the previous tankful by the gallons I added. My first few tanks I was getting around 40-45mpg--presumably due to a really tight new engine, since I was driving like my grandma. Nowadays I'm getting in the very low fifties. I hope this goes up, since I, too, was expecting 60-65.

The bike is unmodified, so factory lean jetting applies.
GS500FK5 blue
Fenderectomy, reflectorectomy
Any suggestions for increasing fuel economy welcome

ducati_nolan

Some of you guys seem a little confused about calculating the MPG. top off the tank and set the trip meter, ride, top off again and divide the miles by the gallons you just put in. Anyways, when I switched my main jets from the stock 122.5 to 140, my average milage went from arround 53 to 57 :dunno_white: I was expecting the opposite but whatever, I guess it's just a better more efficient ratio. I'm going to play with the jetting a little bit more to see what happens. my '99 gets about 170 before i hit reserve and then it takes about 3 or 3.1 gallons

Worst, 47mpg (beating it in the city trafic) best, 59mpg (all highway at 75) average, 57 (mostly highway with a few miles of city beating)

natedawg120

Quote from: ducati_nolan on August 25, 2006, 12:03:40 AM
Some of you guys seem a little confused about calculating the MPG. top off the tank and set the trip meter, ride, top off again and divide the miles by the gallons you just put in. Anyways, when I switched my main jets from the stock 122.5 to 140, my average milage went from arround 53 to 57 :dunno_white: I was expecting the opposite but whatever, I guess it's just a better more efficient ratio. I'm going to play with the jetting a little bit more to see what happens. my '99 gets about 170 before i hit reserve and then it takes about 3 or 3.1 gallons

Worst, 47mpg (beating it in the city trafic) best, 59mpg (all highway at 75) average, 57 (mostly highway with a few miles of city beating)

Thats how i do it :thumb:  You just have to fill it up the same way that you did the first time.  If you squeeze as much as you can in you have to do that the next time or you results will be off.  Like if you trickle fill it and let the gas settle you have to do it that way the next time to get as close as possible to the actualy get a good reading. 
Bikeless in RVA

jsamaniego

On my stocl '03 bike, with just 20.000 kms (about 12.500 mi.), I consistenly get around 55-58 mpg (best when going on highways around 70mph. I improved the mileage after installing a 17 tooth sprocket.
I also maintain the idle sightly over 1000 rpm, and the needle is at the lowest point.

Other than that, it's all stock.  It runs somewhat lean at low speeds (3.500 rpm to 4500 rpm), but so far it does not complain...

On my 20 litre tank I got  today on reserve, after over 250 miles!

much appreciated, at 6,5 US$/gallon!!
Javier Samaniego
'03 GS500

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk