News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

Splicing in an inline fuel filter

Started by Straymonolith, June 26, 2006, 12:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Straymonolith

On my '91 GS, instead of the vacuum petcock deal, I've got a shutoff valve and a little fuel filter, like this:

That conical, plastic little thing is the filter. I already had one of those break on me, on the freeway. I managed to pull over and splice the fuel lines to bypass the filter, using nothing but a rusty house key and parts of my lower intestine.
So I want to replace it with a more solid looking filter, like this:

Will it be ok? Will it mess the fuel pressure or do anything funny to the carbs? Any opinions regarding the filter?

hmmmnz

a filter is a filter is a filter, atleast you have one, that one looks alittle more sturdy than the one thats in there now, i think its time for a change, the rust colour gave it away :icon_mrgreen:
pod filters, costum r6 quill exhaust(no baffles)40/140 jets, heavy duty springs, sv650 rear shock, gsxr srad tail, bandit 600 4.5 inch rim with 150 tyre, gsx twin disc front end "1995 pocket rocket"  ridden by a kiwi in scotland

scottpA_GS

I bought that same long filter you are showing.. It was CRAP! It is not (more solid at all!) I could not get it to stop leaking fuel... The way those clear screw together filters are made is junk!

I went back to the small cone shaped filter like you have above and no problems at all.

hehe.. ya know.. I had the same fuel shut off that you have too.. I got another OEM replacement now thuogh :)

:thumb:

~ 1990 GS500E Project bike ~ Frame up restoration ~ Yosh exhaust, 89 clipons, ...more to come...

~ 98 Shadow ACE 750 ~ Black Straight Pipes ~ UNI Filter ~ Dyno Jet Stage 1 ~ Sissy Bar ~

Wrecent_Wryder

3d
"On hiatus" in reaction to out-of-control moderators, thread censorship and member bans, 7/31/07.
Your cure is worse than the disease.
Remember, no one HAS to contribute here.

scottpA_GS

The cone shape filter works just fine. Never had any starvation issues.. even this weekend I was hanging w/ a pack of 400+ Bikes averaging 70+ MPH for aver 60 Miles.. Not a hiccup from the GS.

I say stay w/ the cone shape ones... they are cheap and for the most part reliable.

:dunno_white:

~ 1990 GS500E Project bike ~ Frame up restoration ~ Yosh exhaust, 89 clipons, ...more to come...

~ 98 Shadow ACE 750 ~ Black Straight Pipes ~ UNI Filter ~ Dyno Jet Stage 1 ~ Sissy Bar ~

Mandres

hey Stray, how did you route the two hoses from the tank into that on/off valve?  Did you use a T-connector? 

-M

Straymonolith

Mandres,
Actualy one of the hoses is pluged. I just have the reserve hose connected to the shut-off valve. It's simple, but when I run out of gas, I really run out of gas.

Jenya

I bought a 'Fram G3515' fuel filter from generic auto parts store.

I, actually, ordered some motorcycle filter from Dennis Kirk at first, but when I received it, it looked too cheap. So I stopped by Shucks auto store and opened secretelly, so that store employyes won't notice, every filter package they had, except for paper ones, as I knew those have very high resistance. I then blew with my lungs into each one of those and picked the one with the lowest resistance, which happend to be Fram G3515. When I got home, I discovered that it actually has evel lesser resistance than the filter I got from Dennis Kirk. Been using it for quite some time now and it doesn't cause any problems, as far as restriction of fuelf flow goes, whatsover. Not a sign of fuel starvation. It is a metal can sturdy construction type.

Jenya

makenzie71

bah...just get good fuel and keep your mesh in the tank clean.  You shouldn't need an inline filter...I've never used one (except on bikes that didn't havea tank sock).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk