News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

What have you done for your bike today????

Started by qwiky, July 29, 2010, 07:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

max

Spent about 2.5hrs wrestling with a stripped fork brace bolt. A combination of my new vise grips, a dremel and some WD-40 got it loose in the end though! Now all the fork brace and front fender bolts are stainless socket heads.

Also gave the front brake caliper a good clean, lubed the chain and topped up the oil.

Discovered that my front axle is slightly bent somehow, so need to source a new one of those now.

Meukowi

cant do new threads so kinda OT. i've been searching shocks, is like to swap to katana600 shock but there ain't any in europe, is it the same as gsx600F?

Numewsm

Well, here we go;

New chain and sprockets
De-gunk front and rear wheels
Caliper clean front and rear.
new brake pads
frame respray
fairings de-gunked from leaking fork oil seals, re-stickered with extras, and paint touch up.  Bottom part behind the front wheel painted with ceramic paint to prevent paint loss.
new oil seals and dust covers.
respray rear mirrors
respray grab rail
Clean exhaust and respray.  (Ready for new slip on in about 6 weeks)  :D
De-coke pistons

New 2nd hand cylinder head, picking it up tomorrow.  due to previous head having snapped exhaust bolts and removed valve guide hole warping under oven heat to place in new guide.  :mad: :mad:

So to do over the next few days;
Polish inlet and exhaust ports.
Top end rebuild!!
Replace both exhaust valves, all battered, inlets fine.
All valve seats are in spec, i'd checked those already when i first got the replacement head.(it needed some work done on it  :mad:)
lap all valves
rebuild head
New gaskets seals and o-rings all round.
Put the bike back together.
check timing
check valve clearances for spec.  (quickly drive to the dealers to get new shims because the ones i have from both heads obviously won't be the right ones!!!  :cry: :cookoo:
Do new oil change just to make sure its clean.
Start bike (fingers crossed)
:woohoo:  Get riding as I haven't been out on it for six frigging long long weeks..................
I ride because it gives me the space to empty my mind off all that is bad and refill it with good.

tobyd

@Max

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=72841.0

looks like this guy has a spare front axle amongst every other part anyone could possibly want.

tobyd

Kookas

Finally managed to crack the rear brake bleeder after months of having neglected the rear brake since first finding the nipple seized.

I was already waiting on some Irwin sockets along with a 3/8" breaker bar and ratchet I'd ordered just for the purpose when I decided to just stick a socket on it and smash it with a hammer over and over. Turns out that was all I needed.

Got a new nipple, pads, seals and fluid all lined up - time to rebuild it. Hope the seals fit this time.

max

Quote from: tobyd on April 29, 2019, 02:15:58 PM
@Max

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=72841.0

looks like this guy has a spare front axle amongst every other part anyone could possibly want.

PM'd thanks. Congrats on the MOT too!

tobyd

Wheel bearings front and back.

One back one was pretty grindy, the other ok and the sprocket carrier one a bit grindy too.

Did the fronts since it was all in bits and way and they are cheap. They really didn't need doing but were straightforward and now I know they are done.

Not a bad job. Cheapo ebay slide hammer and blind bearing removers were fairly poor but with some additional hammers and punches got the old bearings out. probably took 4 hours going slow and working around the slide hammer's dubiousness.

left enough clearance so the spacer could still move a little. The manual doesn't seem to say how much it should so I got it very near touching but so it could still move a bit.

RideShield

Installed new EBC FA63 rear brake pads following the wiki parts recommendations http://wiki.gstwins.com/index.php?n=Maintenance.ChangeBrakePads ,
wiki upgrade instructions http://wiki.gstwins.com/index.php?n=Upgrades.BrakePads and numerous Youtube videos. 

Most of the videos showed how to take the old pads out or overhaul the calipers. The one that  I would recommend https://youtu.be/TB0_Wqnjyn8   shows hot to use needle nose pliers or a screwdriver to remove the retention clips. It also showed the whole job start to finish. I wish I could get a translation of the subtitles.

I still need to bleed the brakes but I have done this in the past couple of years so the fluid is not that old. If this is a huge faux pas, let me know.
'07 Suzuki GS500F

qcbaker

My dad came over last night and we did an oil change on my bike together. Not strictly a two man job, but it was nice to wrench a little with my dad.

cbrfxr67

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

qcbaker

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on June 20, 2019, 07:14:59 AM
good times qcbaker :thumb:

Yeah man. I actually missed the chance to hang out with him over the weekend, so last night was like a late father's day sort of thing. I gave him his gift (an ale horn engraved with the white tree of Gondor from Lord of the Rings lol), grilled up some burgers, and we did a lil wrenching. Very enjoyable evening. :thumb:

pandy

Replaced callipers...had to pound my rear brake when it froze on me out in the world...  it wouldn't be very good form to keep that sh^t tied to the frame for longer than just getting home...
'06 SV650s (1 past Gixxer; 3 past GS500s)
I get blamed for EVERYTHING around here!
:woohoo:

dougdoberman

Finally fitted some new Chinese folding adjustable levers to replace the bent ones that were on it when I bought the bike years ago.  :)  I've had the replacements for years now, just never got around to putting them on.

Reinstalled the front fender extension which I took off years ago, as I've decided that the aesthetics of the engine & headers being covered with grime is worse than the aesthetics of the fender with the extension on it.  :)

If you can't be a good example, at least try to be a horrible reminder.

Watcher

Brought it home.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :2guns: :2guns: :thumb: :cheers: :flipoff: ;) :laugh:  :woohoo:
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

mr72

That's very nice, Watcher! Congratulations!

mr72

Well, I did this to my Triumph: https://www.triumphrat.net/2003920040-post428.html

This, after the ridiculous intermittent start issue went from annoying to debilitating when my bike required bump starting with a completely full battery last night just to get me home.

Over the weekend I also made one of the final mods to my GS500's shifter linkage to make it more reliable and reduce flex. Haven't ridden it yet since the fix.

Today I'll likely go pick up my new helmet and then go for a fairly long break-in ride. Well, the ride home from the shop will be pretty long, but I will probably add on.

mr72

didn't have time to even touch the GS but I did do a throttle body balance on my Bonneville, which seems to have cured the snatchy throttle off idle or decel. I noticed one of the exhaust headers was more blue than the other, so I figured since both injectors get the same map then throttle sync has to be critical. I'm also hoping this will improve fuel mileage, since it's pretty dismal in the Bonneville. My theory is that if one throttle was more closed than the other then one cylinder is running too rich. Didn't bother checking the plugs.

Watcher

Quote from: mr72 on July 29, 2019, 08:23:35 AM
I'm also hoping this will improve fuel mileage, since it's pretty dismal in the Bonneville.

What are you averaging?

My new Monster actually displays averages on the dash, I'm averaging 46.6 mpg right now.  Of course, if I put it on the live reading I've seen it as high as in the 60s and as low as in the 30s.

Adding yet another ~45 mpg bike to my list, along with basically every other one I've ever owned.
Not sure who originally mentioned the theory, someone on here, that basically any vehicle that's the same weight and the same size aerodynamically will get the same gas mileage at "cruising speed" regardless of displacement.
Seems to be holding true.  I keep buying sport naked bikes with small windscreens and keep getting around the same mileage, despite 500s, a 1200, a 750, and now an 821cc.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Oscar_Muffin

Yesterday I fixed an improperly assembled carburettor, Re-timed a badly timed exhaust camshaft, peeled off a rubber gasket that somebody stuck down it sealant and struggled to remove a tachometer drive gear from the head that was glued in with JBweld.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk