News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

To do list started

Started by mikeg, March 24, 2020, 10:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeg

I've been a member for a little while, but mostly only reading and learning from the posts on this site.  Today I started my to do list on the bike.  I have a 2009 GS500F, with just under 10k miles on it.  I got it for a great price, the previous owner dropped it in their driveway and just parked it after that.  Minor cosmetic damage is all it sustained (Scratches on the fairings, and one small crack on the upper fairing).  All in all, it is a great bike.  I've ridden about 2 seasons on it, and enjoy it.....except for the suspension.  I'm a bigger guy, and the suspension is all mush.  Taking off and shifting is like riding a rocking horse.  So, I did research on this forum and decided to upgrade the suspension. So that is items one and two on my list.  Then, I have a plan to build a "pod" on the top of the gauges to install left and right indicator lights. Based on the information on this site and the facebook group regarding the wiring schematics, this will also allow me to run LED turn signals front and rear ( I already installed front ones, and an adjustable electronic flasher.

So, here's my list (and some pics, of course :))
1. R6 Rear Shock (Did that one today,  wasn't too bad to do.  Big difference in the feel of the rear now).

2. Sonic Springs and 15w oil in the front.  (I have all the bits, and I'll probably try to tackle that later this week.)

3. Turn signal project.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."— Ernest Hemingway

Bluesmudge

Rear the other recent post about LED turn signals. If you don't want separate left and right turn signal indicators (leave the function and look stock and less hassle) you can also solve the 4 way flasher problem with a diode kit that costs ~$3.

ShowBizWolf

Awesome post!!! Clean bike too. I like the idea for your signals... looking forward to seeing what you do.

I had the R6 shock for a while... it was nice. I love my Sonic Springs. Building my own forks and getting them set up correctly was a project I really enjoyed. What spring rate did ya need?

Check out this thread if you haven't already... it's got some cool suspension info in it (spacer lengths, air gap, etc):
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=69391.0
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

mikeg

Quote from: Bluesmudge on March 24, 2020, 11:18:24 AM
Rear the other recent post about LED turn signals. If you don't want separate left and right turn signal indicators (leave the function and look stock and less hassle) you can also solve the 4 way flasher problem with a diode kit that costs ~$3.

I have seen that in a few posts.  I did consider it, but want to try something different.  I like the idea of having independent indicators for right and left, and plan to maybe try making a hazard flash circuit for the bike at some point. I'm going to make a connector that utilizes the wedge bulb base to plug into the stock bulb holder.  This will help keep the stock circuit in place should I ever need to or want to go back to stock. I'm trying to do what I can to not cut into things on the bike if I can avoid it.

Showbizwolf,
Thanks, I appreciate that.  When I start making the pod, I plan to take plenty of pictures and post them up.  Based on the spring rate calculator on sonic's website, I bought the .90 springs.  Thanks for the link.  I'm thinking of doing a 120mm airgap.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but based on the instructions, I believe I'll be cutting the spacer flush at the top of the fork tube.  Then, once the cap is back on, that should get me 3/4 inch of preload.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."— Ernest Hemingway

ShowBizWolf

That sounds correct to me... IIRC the stock fork caps once wound in will give you that 3/4".

It sounds like you know what you're doing :thumb:

Every time there's a fork discussion on the fb group or here, I try to add about the typo in the Clymer (and Haynes) book. The written instructions tell you to install new fork seals upside down.
The pictures show them installed correctly... but the type is what's wrong.
When installing correctly, the open groove/spring side of the seals faces down towards the ground (the book tells you to install the seals with the groove/spring side facing up  :icon_eek: ).
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Endopotential

One of the few upsides of COVID is that it gives us more time to tinker on our bikes  :D

Ditto to what ShowBiz said.  I installed that seal upside down as well, and kept getting a fine seepage of oil on the forks.  Finally got around to rebuilding it again, and it totally solved the problem.

Looks like you have a new bike.  I posted somewhere my writeup about fork rebuild on the new models.  Instead of some fancy custom Suzuki tool, a shaved down broom handle works well to hold that damping unit stable.  Keep tabs on exactly what part goes where at the bottom of the fork, as it's not entirely intuitive.
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/140 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

mikeg

Front forks are complete.  The seals weren't leaking, and the dust covers were in good shape.....so I didn't want to tempt fate and replace them yet.  Thanks for the heads up on the seal direction. That's not the first time I've seen a shop manual have something wrong in it, so having that info is a huge plus.  :cheers:

I installed my rear LED turn signals while I was at it, to have all 4 matching.  Now it's time to work on the pod for the indicators.  I pulled the indicator bulb out for now to prevent the all 4 flash problem.  As I build out the pod,  I'll try my best to take pictures and document what I've done. Unfortunately, when I get to building something.....I kind of lose track of time and get tunnel vision, so I might miss a few pictures.  :)

COVID had definitely given me time to do some work on it.  Sadly, that also means I can't really go for a good ride to test it all out. Our county in PA is on stay at home orders.

ShowBizWolf

Oh gosh, that is awful. If you don't mind me asking, what county are you in? I'm assuming you mean Pennsylvania. I live kinda near Pittsburgh.

mikeg

I've been to Pittsburgh a few times, I live in the Lehigh Valley. We aren't supposed to go anywhere that isn't life sustaining. Riding is life sustaining in my mind, but apparently the current rules don't agree with me  :icon_lol:.

ShowBizWolf

Riding is life-sustaining to me as well!!! I'm also happy the beer distributors are on the list of places that get to stay open  :roll: :cheers:

Bluesmudge

Yesterday I installed the diode fix and LED bulb for my turn signal indicator, plus 4 LED turn signal bulbs. The whole process took about an hour. If you want a quick way to get your turn signal indicator bulb back, its only $3.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/metric-bike-diode-kit/1190/2805/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4rDy_JzA6AIVkNlkCh0ZoQv3EAQYASABEgI3-vD_BwE

mikeg

Sorry it's taken so long to post.  I had to return to work, so I've only been able to tinker on the weekends now.  I finally had some time to work on my turn signal project yesterday.  My goal with this was to be able to use LED turn signals front and rear, have independent right and left indicator lamps and to NOT cut or modify any stock wiring or components.  So far that has worked out well.

The housing is a prototype, or proof of concept if you like.  I'll use it for now to work out the best way to mount it, and how it will look. It's not the prettiest thing, but is functional.  I used ABS plastic sheeting, and vinyl wrapped it.  The mounting is currently industrial Velcro.  That will probably not be the final solution, as I believe the adhesive backing will probably not survive a ride on a hot day.  I am definitely open to suggestions on both the housing and mounting of it.

For the connections, I used the base of an LED wedge bulb to plug into the stock bulb holder.  That will provide the right and left power circuits.  For the ground, I modified a spade terminal to fit into the back of the lower headlamp bulb connector on the black/white ground circuit. Its almost like a back probe type of connection, if you're familiar with that. I formed it to lock securely in place, but still be removable (of course I forgot to take a picture of that one).  The harness is in two pieces, and I used a Delphi connector for a weather tight seal.  All solder connections are covered with marine shrink tubing.  If you're not familiar with that, it has an adhesive inside that melts and provides a water tight seal.  The harness is then wrapped in harness tape.

If the housing works out, I may look at possibly printing it in ABS...or making it out of metal.  Again, I'm open to suggestions on that one.

Now to the important stuff......the pictures!

Bulb connector

Delphi connector

Pod/Housing and harness

Installed, and working

Now, if I can ever get out to ride with it.........

Oh, in case you are curious...these are the turn signals I have on the front and rear.  They are very bright, and well built.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJ2ZLSH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the dash indicators, I used these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D8G1VZJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ShowBizWolf

I love how that turned out! And I really like the indicators you chose as well.

Nice keychain too :cheers:

Bluesmudge

Well done! Almost looks OEM!
You're wiring work is far cleaner than mine.

mikeg

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on April 07, 2020, 01:08:21 PM
I love how that turned out! And I really like the indicators you chose as well.

Nice keychain too :cheers:

Thanks ShowBizWolf!  :cheers: I'm still going over things in my head on how to mount it better, and final build of the pod.

It was a pretty good deal for a decent key tag. I ordered one for just a couple of bucks, and they sent me 5 of them. LOL. 

Quote from: Bluesmudge on April 07, 2020, 03:56:08 PM
Well done! Almost looks OEM!
You're wiring work is far cleaner than mine.
I appreciate that Bluesmudge.  Hopefully the final product will look OEM.  Time will tell.
Thanks, I used to make wiring harnesses for cars....so that helps.

On a side note....I'm looking forward to when I have enough posts some day to no longer have these validation questions. :D

ShowBizWolf

You should be almost there!! I know it was only 5 posts for a while... to make the questions go away... now I don't know how many it is. Here's hoping it's no more than 10!

SK Racing

Yes, it's 10 posts currently. I went through that agony yesterday. Never found out what it is that the fuel line and airbox connects to.  :hithead:
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding!
1939 Panther 600cc Single - Stolen, 1970 Suzuki 50cc - Sold
1969 Triumph Bonneville 650 T120R - Sold, 1981 Honda CB750F - Sold
1989 Suzuki GS500E - Sold, 2004 Suzuki GS500F - Current ride

mikeg

Then I only have 2 more to go!  :).  Unfortunately, you may have had the correct answer...but whomever set the question up may have spelled it differently, or used different spacing.  Really makes it tough.  But, it helps keep the spammers out.

mikeg

I finally had the opportunity to take the bike out for a short run on Saturday.  Filled up with non ethanol fuel (the WaWa near me sells it), and headed out. If you have it available near you, I recommend it.  I did notice a difference in how the bike runs since I started using it last year.

I know it has been said many times on this forum, but what a difference the front springs and rear shock make.  It really does feel like a different bike, I really like it.  I'll have to play around with tuning the R6 shock as time permits.  The turn signal pod also worked great.  It's in the perfect spot, and I can see it while still looking at the road.  The indicators are bright and visible even in bright sun.

On a side note, Finally no more security/verification questions.  :woohoo:

Bluesmudge

Does your electronic flasher with LEDs flash at a faster rate than the OEM flasher with standard bulbs? Mine seems a little too fast. Like "blink, blink, blink," instead of "blink, quick pause, blink".  Gives it that "I definitely modified something" look. I wonder if a different brand flasher would have a flash rate closer to stock.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk