News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

replacement fuel lines

Started by 007brendan, June 18, 2010, 03:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

007brendan

What have you used for replacing the fuel lines?  OEM fuel lines from bikebandit?  Or something better?
"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

gregvhen

its fuel lines. your not gettin no 10 horse out of em

pandymai

i've used clear tubing from lowes. not sure if gas eats into it.. but it seems to be fine so far. someone else has done the same thing on here. that's where i got the idea. will post if i find it

EDIT
Quote from: ben2go on July 17, 2008, 05:32:48 PM
Quote from: pronator on July 17, 2008, 04:44:08 PM
Quote from: ben2go on July 17, 2008, 12:18:10 PM
I got clear vinyl hose from Lowes.$3.50 for 10 feet.It's in the plumbing section below the board with small 3/8 and 1/4 inch fittings on it.They were a pain to install.A hair dry helps to warm the lines so they will stretch.Once they cool down they seal great with no clamps.It's thins wall so no wrestling both lines onto the tank petcock.

Hey Ben, I know most folks recommend the Tygon because it's fuel-safe. What about this stuff you got at Lowes? Thanks!  :thumb:

So far so good.It is rated for use with chemicals.Doesn't say what chemicals.It doesn't say it on the tag,but the box says chemical resistant.The tygon to me is better but can get pricey.It has better elasticity than the tubing I am speaking of.I figure 10' is enough for 2 years probably longer.At $3.50 for 10' I'm ok with that.Tygon was $10 for 3',but I really haven't checked into since last year.Here's a pic.

this is what i got and it works well so far
rustbucket on wheels that go vroom vroom and stuff.

Quote from: Homer on July 08, 2010, 08:34:38 PM
If this freshershest-thread-ever gets spoiled by petty fighting, I'm gonna be so mad.  

O.C.D.

TYGON is the shiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzzz  (McMaster Carr).
'92-'09 Suzati
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=50448.0

Quote from: Ugluk on June 24, 2010, 09:48:08 AM
The mascot of the GS500.. The creature that's got the biggest ugliest a$$ of them all.
A wombat. It's got a big ugly a$$ too.

PachmanP

1/4" fuel line. Bike shop or small engine repair'll have a big ol' roll to sell by the foot. Gas doesn't play well with most cheap clear hardware store tubing long term. Tygon is the way to go if you want clear lines that don't melt.

Don't get fuel lines for pressurized systems like cars because it'll be too thick.

Finally, borrow a hair drier to heat the tubing to help it slip on the first time.
'04 F to an E to a wreck to a Wee Strom?
HEL stainless brake lines
15W fork oil
Kat 600 Rear shock
K&N drop in and Buddha jets
It wants me to go brokedie.

DoD#i

I got polyurethane (same material as Tygon without the brand name) fuel line from CycleReCycle Part 2 - 5/16 worked nicely (I ordered both 1/4 and 5/16, as the jury seemed to be out on the correct size). 1/4 was going to be a bear to get on, 5/16 went on nicely and stays put nicely (1990 bike, your petcock may vary, evidently).

The vinyl tubing is not fuel-safe, and becomes hard/brittle with time and exposure to fuel. That can lead to catastrophic leaks. If it's thin-wall it can also pinch off and cut your fuel flow - thicker-wall fuel line is less prone to doing that. Given a cost of under $5 to replace all the fuel lines with the right stuff, why use the wrong stuff? 5 feet is plenty (including the upper vent line - 4 would do without that).
1990 GS500EL - with moderately-ugly paintjob.
1982 XJ650LJ -  off the road for slow repairs
AGATT - All Gear All The Time
"Ride a motorcycle.  Save Gas, Oil, Rubber, Steel, Aluminum, Parking Spaces, The Environment, and Money.  Plus, you get to wear all the leather you want!"
(from DoD#296)

Eklipse

Quote from: PachmanP on June 18, 2010, 10:07:40 PM
1/4" fuel line. Bike shop or small engine repair'll have a big ol' roll to sell by the foot. Gas doesn't play well with most cheap clear hardware store tubing long term. Tygon is the way to go if you want clear lines that don't melt.

Don't get fuel lines for pressurized systems like cars because it'll be too thick.

Finally, borrow a hair drier to heat the tubing to help it slip on the first time.

Hair drier, what a great idea!
2004 Walmart Metallic Black GS500F
11,000+ miles

Homer

Quote from: DoD#i on June 19, 2010, 09:44:36 AM
I got polyurethane (same material as Tygon without the brand name) fuel line from CycleReCycle Part 2 - 5/16 worked nicely (I ordered both 1/4 and 5/16, as the jury seemed to be out on the correct size). 1/4 was going to be a bear to get on, 5/16 went on nicely and stays put nicely (1990 bike, your petcock may vary, evidently).

The vinyl tubing is not fuel-safe, and becomes hard/brittle with time and exposure to fuel. That can lead to catastrophic leaks. If it's thin-wall it can also pinch off and cut your fuel flow - thicker-wall fuel line is less prone to doing that. Given a cost of under $5 to replace all the fuel lines with the right stuff, why use the wrong stuff? 5 feet is plenty (including the upper vent line - 4 would do without that).

Truth. 

Eklipse

I got some 5/16 fuel line and I'm having a hard time stopping it from leaking at the tank; I think I need to try some different hose clamps or something :\
11,000+ miles

DoD#i

Or different fuel line. My 5/16 is on and staying put without leaks with no clamps at all. Had them in the tool box, but the functional truth was the hoses were not going anywhere, so I KISSed the question of using them at all.

There may well be different sizes of petcock outlets in different years, from what some folks have said. 5/16 is nearly 8mm, and claims were that the correct size was 7mm, which is why I got two sizes (the other will go to lawnmowers and snowblowers.) 1/4 is 6.3mm.

There may also be different sizes of fuel hose claiming to be a particular size (or a straight-up screw up where someone sold you 3/8 (or 9mm) instead of 5/16, or...)
"Ride a motorcycle.  Save Gas, Oil, Rubber, Steel, Aluminum, Parking Spaces, The Environment, and Money.  Plus, you get to wear all the leather you want!"
(from DoD#296)

Homer

The hard lines from the tank petcock are so close together, it's hard to get clamps on there in the first place!  >:(
If you've still got the old spring style clamps - try pulling them with pliers.
Not the direction to open them, the other direction.  It makes them tighter.  Still, they're not so great. 

Try to find some like these:
http://www.kshoseclamp.com/mini_hose_clamps.htm

They have the best clamping, in my opinion.  They don't strip, like the cheapo worm-screw types. 
BUT - and this is important - if you look close, they have a ridge on the sides of the band/strap. 
You MIGHT run into a problem trying to get one on each line.  Because the hard lines are so dang close together!

It's a faulty design from the factory, in my opinion.  They should have at least a 1/2 inch more spacing between the outlets on the stock petcock. 
Suzuki must have really been pinching pennies.   :icon_rolleyes:

jeremy_nash

I use 1/4" tygon, it was a little difficult to get up over the nipples on the petcock, but no leaks!!!  and I did use clamps
gsxr shock
katana FE
99 katana front rim swap
vapor gauge cluster
14 tooth sprocket
95 on an 89 frame
lunchbox
V&H ssr2 muffler
jetted carbs
150-70-17 pilot road rear
120-70-17 sportmax front
sv650 rear wheel
sv650 tail swap
gsxr pegs
GP shift

GAS

I usually have 8mm fuel hoses (I use the duffel lined ones, not for pressurized systems) and with this kind os clamp at this link below is very easy to get it neat and dry...

http://www.densul.com.br/imagem/miniatura/1303,abracadeira-para-mangueira-6-e-8,260,foto1

I've heard about people using silicone hoses for long periods without problem, they're clear and much easier to route since they're extremely flexible, and they're cheap as well... I'll go with them next time!

Eklipse

Yes, I am officially having a fuel leak nightmare with the 5/16 hoses on my bike. All kinds of hose clamps and teflon tape and it's still leaking from the fuel line outs (it wasn't leaking with my old crusty hoses) and I think I finally got it to stop leaking from the carb fuel inlet.

I am ordering some smaller fuel line now.
11,000+ miles

DoD#i

Quote from: Eklipse on June 21, 2010, 11:07:34 PM
Yes, I am officially having a fuel leak nightmare with the 5/16 hoses on my bike. All kinds of hose clamps and teflon tape and it's still leaking

Teflon tape is for threaded connections. Not going to help (quite the opposite) for a hose barb connection...
(from DoD#296)

JonM1211

Where am I likely to find Tygon locally? Might try a local plastic shop.

Lowes doesnt have it.

SlimKlim

Quote from: Homer on June 20, 2010, 12:10:03 PM
The hard lines from the tank petcock are so close together, it's hard to get clamps on there in the first place!  >:(
If you've still got the old spring style clamps - try pulling them with pliers.
Not the direction to open them, the other direction.  It makes them tighter.  Still, they're not so great. 

Try to find some like these:
http://www.kshoseclamp.com/mini_hose_clamps.htm

They have the best clamping, in my opinion.  They don't strip, like the cheapo worm-screw types. 
BUT - and this is important - if you look close, they have a ridge on the sides of the band/strap. 
You MIGHT run into a problem trying to get one on each line.  Because the hard lines are so dang close together!

It's a faulty design from the factory, in my opinion.  They should have at least a 1/2 inch more spacing between the outlets on the stock petcock. 
Suzuki must have really been pinching pennies.   :icon_rolleyes:

Those clamps are a great idea, I bet the hardware store across the street from my work has them, they have EVERYTHING. Using those clamps wont leave marks in anything your're clamping like a worm screw one. I should try and stock up on them.

I found some hose, dunno what it's called at a local bike shop that's made for fuel and is non collapsible and purpose built to handle fuel. Thats probably what I'll use when I put the bike back together from my top end rebuild, I've worried whatever that line on there is to death working on it recently, and its more and more grumpy about sealing up. The bike is apart for a while now though, I'll pick up some line when I'm in reassembly stage.

Homer

On behalf of the last owner (ameth addict in Ashville, NC), I apologize for those crappy blue lines. 
And, with that... the bike is yours. 

DoD#i

Quote from: JonM1211 on June 22, 2010, 08:15:18 PM
Where am I likely to find Tygon locally? Might try a local plastic shop.

Online (for many things, it's cheaper, faster and easier than driving all over town looking for stuff, I find.)
http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/motorcycle-fuel-related.htm

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23487&catid=864

I've done business with both of the above, no other relationship - CRCII is cheaper. Still 80 cents a  foot in any size, shipping not too bad. Grab 2 feet of 1/8 inch while you are there and your carb drains become much easier to use.

Motorcycle shop.
Lawnmower/chainsaw/small engine shop.
Farm equipment/tractor dealer.
Lab/medical equipment supply.
Possibly at a good local hardware store, if any are left.
(from DoD#296)

Carltheproducer

I'd like to bring this thread back to life as it seems its the most thorough about replacement after market hoses. Since I have changed so much under my tank, e.g. airbox, rear shock, replaced rear end for look and removal of CHARCOAL CANISTER, I have so many loose hoses, extra length hoses. Also my 2009 GS500F has never had any of these hoses replaced. Therefore I want to use different colored hoses and cut to exact length as I clean up another the tank and might as well make it look cool.

I would like to replace the following lines/hoses, I'll post later a photo of the mess under my tank when I get to friend's shop later this week.

Brake lines, I think I want to replace with Stainless Steel brake lines. I recently replaced the rear brake pads & rotor. I might as well replace the front brake pads & rotor to right? Any recommendations?

Air cleaner, even though I don't have the OEM airbox but a K&N RU-2970. I need to cut some of these unused hoses now. OEM parts listed below that I want to replace.

HOSE from bike to top of OEM airbox
09352-11153-600

CARBURETOR HOSES
13683-01DC1
09355-35755-600
13683-01DB0
13683-01DN0 (tube)
13683-01DC1
09355-35755-600
09355-35755-600
09355-35755-600
09355-35755-600
09355-35755-600

Fuel chicken
44443-01D40
I can not get the part #'s for lines from tank to petcock on Suzuki's fisheye. https://shop.suzukiofvannuys.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=989772&category=Motorcycles&make=Suzuki&year=2009&fveh=27496

There's a lot of links in this thread, dated wayyy back so some do not work anymore, but how does everyone feel about their choices now who posted? Based on Eklipse's comments, I should stay away from 5/16 but DoD#i's comments alluding 5/16 is fine but get 1/4 just in case.

I am thinking of getting this 1/4 yellow, https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23487&catid=864 and this 5/16 red, https://express.google.com/u/0/product/12905465212217106956_707178690950653017_3103314?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_prop&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt&gtim=CJiLyN2XlcuZjAEQ6bLWm7PgsbMrGPDingwiA1VTRCiQwIboBTDStL0B&utm_campaign=3103314&gclid=Cj0KCQjwitPnBRCQARIsAA5n84neS6NQtyHUQB03H-cKVY7Al0gzyFquVCUHIp6viAIyTeEzK7_mliAaArgMEALw_wcB

But how do I find the sizes needed for carb hoses? I definitely want to get a variety pack of clamps for all these hoses too. Although I like the hair dryer trick.

My current GS Scrambler build, http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=72508.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk