News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

Delkevic SS70 exhaust install FAIL - what now?

Started by BikerBoy, August 21, 2019, 07:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BikerBoy

I bought a used Delkevic SS70 slip-on exhaust on ebay. Unfortunately the exhaust only came with a 1.5" midpipe opening, where the gs500 has a 1.75" opening (the original ad says it fit gs500)  :dunno_black:. Also the midpipe looks like its not for GS500's, as it is way too low for the exhaust bracket to fit on the passenger footpeg.

I could return the exhaust, and get another one that fits the GS, if ebay lets me.. Or I was thinking of getting a 1.5" to 1.75" exhaust adapter and another clamp on ebay for 15 bucks, and seeing if a motorcycle shop could bend the midpipe exhaust upwards. Do you think that would be quality?

Anyone have exhaust recomendations or thoughts on my idea of making the SS70 fit? I like the way the SS70 looks but it might be best to get something made for my bike than try to make it fit on something it wasnt intended for. I would get a gs500 midpipe link but I cant find any for sale anywhere.

ShowBizWolf

I personally would go through eBay and get a refund. I've done it before with items that were wrong, items never sent, etc and never had any trouble. Then I'd look for another seller and send a question before I bought it, verifying it will fit the GS500.

I do enjoy modifying things so they fit, don't get me wrong! But from what you described, it could be a pain... especially for something that was originally advertised to fit.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

BikerBoy

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on August 21, 2019, 08:33:31 PM
I personally would go through eBay and get a refund. I've done it before with items that were wrong, items never sent, etc and never had any trouble. Then I'd look for another seller and send a question before I bought it, verifying it will fit the GS500.

I do enjoy modifying things so they fit, don't get me wrong! But from what you described, it could be a pain... especially for something that was originally advertised to fit.

Yeah it does seem like more trouble than its worth to buy new parts and have the midpipe bent than to just return it at this point. Its so low Im not sure if they could bend it upwards enough without making the pipe too small.

Anyone try these shorty exhausts? https://www.amazon.com/Radiant-Cycles-Stealth-Motorcycle-Universal/dp/B07GFYX9H5/ Ive read that exhausts on a GS500 wont make a change in terms of horsepower, so no point IMO in buying a 400 dollar exhaust. This one is cheap, fits my bike, and isnt too loud (95 DB)

Endopotential

I put a really short exhaust on mine.  But I also changed the jetting on my carbs a lot as well. 
Can't say if it changed power output at all, though making the bike lighter always helps.
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/140 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

Joolstacho

Anything wrong with the stock muffler?
Not too hard to make a scraped one look like new you know, and it won't stuff-up your carburetion.
Beam me up Scottie....

BikerBoy

I tried returning it on ebay but ebay sided with the seller, which is what I expected since he put no returns. Fortunately for me, delkevic still sells GS500 mid-pipe links, even though its not advertised on their website.

Quote from: Joolstacho on August 22, 2019, 11:36:52 PM
Anything wrong with the stock muffler?
Not too hard to make a scraped one look like new you know, and it won't stuff-up your carburetion.
It is really heavy compared to the ss70. I probably shaved 30 lbs off the bike alone. My stock exhaust was dented and had some paint on it too. How do aftermarket exhausts stuff up the carb? I havent heard that before.

Joolstacho

Mate, the exhaust system influences the carb, particularly the jetting. They're inextricably linked, think of the whole system like a pump, the free-er breathing the exhaust is, the more fuel mixture the carb may be required to feed the engine. Extreme example: an open exhaust with no muffler will generally require bigger mainjets or it will run lean. Exhaust lengths too are designed carefully to maximise efficiency. Much depends on your replacement exhaust, and it may be no problem at all, depending on the muffler structure and internal baffling etc. There are a number of clued-up guys on here who can go into techie details such as 'resonant frequencies', 'back-pressure', 'tuned lengths' etc. I'm not saying that it will be a big deal for your particular system... Just to say that it's as well to be aware of potential issues that may arise because of any major changes from the original system.
Beam me up Scottie....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk