News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Alternatives for magneto and starter clutch in GS500F

Started by Getafix, October 26, 2019, 12:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Getafix

Hello guys, I've been a little unfortunate with this bike recently. Took it up for a 500km ride cross border and suddenly the bike started having weird noise on starting. When i pushed the start button the starter engine would spin with the crankshalft and continiue spinnig as i rev it. I've managed to find tools and took the starter out of the engine, push started it and make my way back home, had to top up with lot of oil since it was loosing from the opening where the starter would normally seal but it went ok. When i come home i took it apart and noticed the bolts from the back of the magneto ware broken and also the magnets from the stator were missing. Searching the net I've been trying to find new magneto with the starter clutch set but the prices for an OEM parts are unbelievable, I'm was wandering if i could fit some used one from gs550, gs450 or gs750 since they look so familiar and the prices are like x5 cheaper. The only thing that looks different is the number of magnets on the rotor which is 3 instead of 6 but i don't think that makes really big difference in charging the battery. So what do you guys think? Does anyone ever tried this experiment?

Bluesmudge

I'm pretty sure the GS450 generator rotor/starter clutch assembly should work since the GS500 bottom end is based on the GS450 and almost identical. I was going to try it but ended up putting a 1989 GS500 rotor/starter clutch in my 2006 GS500F.
No idea on 550 or 750.

The Buddha

Oh you had a starter clutch stuck in the engaged position. Yikes, not the first time its happened to someone here, but it is a rare occurance. Its called Starwalt's syndrome. A much lesser known variant of Goat's disease.

Anyway all you need likely is the starter clutch, and that is best bought new, and used to be $30 or under 5-6 yrs ago when I last bought one of those.
Why are you trying to replace all the parts like rotor and this and that in there - those are not really the problem. You have 3 rollers, 3 pins and 3 springs, and likely they're sticking in the extended position.

Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

Bluesmudge

OP said that "the magnets from the stator were missing." In assuming they meant the magnets from the generator rotor.

If they are all gone or even partially gone then sump should be dropped, cleaned, and the oil changed in an effort to find those missing pieces.

Getafix

Thank you for your reply's. So the story about the clutch assembly is that they got burned at garage of buddy of mine with everything inside, all the tools and his bike as well. We used to work on our bikes there and since I took the clutch assembly off the bike and left it there till i find new rotor, they got burned too. We managed to find them while we were cleaning the mess but they were oxidized badly and maybe if i didn't used too much anti-rust agent on them i wouldn't have to buy those parts too. As i see the price for the OEM parts (rotor, the gears, pins, rollers, springs) is above 400 gpb, compared to a listing on ebay for a rotor with starter clutch and starter gears from used gs750 for only 20 gpb i wonder if i can fit those parts and save some money

Getafix

Quote from: Bluesmudge on October 29, 2019, 08:46:13 AM
OP said that "the magnets from the stator were missing." In assuming they meant the magnets from the generator rotor.

If they are all gone or even partially gone then sump should be dropped, cleaned, and the oil changed in an effort to find those missing pieces.

I did put new oil and filters, btw this is the rotor

Bluesmudge

I would definitely drop the sump at the bottom of the engine and clean it out so that all those magnets dont clog the sump screen and starve the bike for oil.

Getafix

There were all the pieces stuck by the rotor just loose, i took them off by hand but probably you're right. You suggest I open the oil pan and clean there if i got it right?

ShowBizWolf

You got it right :thumb:

+1 to Bluesmudge about cleaning the sump

A couple years ago when I was replacing the oil pan gasket, I found those notorious little orange bits of epoxy in the screen. My magnets were all OK thankfully but that orange epoxy always seems to come off.

I wouldn't hesitate to clean as much as you can out of there.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Bluesmudge

If you have a GS500F make sure you replace the oil pan gasket with one designed for the bikes with oil coolers. The gasket for naked bikes will block the oil cooler lines.

The Buddha

Quote from: Getafix on October 30, 2019, 11:47:38 AM
Thank you for your reply's. So the story about the clutch assembly is that they got burned at garage of buddy of mine with everything inside, all the tools and his bike as well. We used to work on our bikes there and since I took the clutch assembly off the bike and left it there till i find new rotor, they got burned too. We managed to find them while we were cleaning the mess but they were oxidized badly and maybe if i didn't used too much anti-rust agent on them i wouldn't have to buy those parts too. As i see the price for the OEM parts (rotor, the gears, pins, rollers, springs) is above 400 gpb, compared to a listing on ebay for a rotor with starter clutch and starter gears from used gs750 for only 20 gpb i wonder if i can fit those parts and save some money

Look for cross reference on something like ronayers - part number reverse search, it will tell you what other bikes it came on.
AFAIK, GS1000 may have the same parts all the way to the GS300 back to 1970's. But look up and don't rely on my memory.
Cool.
Buddha.
I run a business based on other people's junk.

Getafix

I've searched for the magnet/rotor number and come up only the GS500 2001+ models. However the flywheel starter clutch is compatible with every GS450. What bugs my mind is that i found cheap aftermarket magnet (too bad the listing had ended before i made a purchase) which was stated that is compatible with GS750, GS550, GS500, GS450 and GS400. I'm guessing they share the same dimensions and the only thing that's different from factory is the number of magnets but I'll have to measure all the dimensions from the GS500F and compare to the other models to make sure it fits.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk