News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShowBizWolf

Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

cbrfxr67

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

ShowBizWolf

In the first pic... those legs tho...  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Bike is lookin' GOOD cbr 8)
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

cbrfxr67

First ride last night. Well more like first putt putt. I think the battlecow would've taken me out. Up and down the street a bit looking for issues. First and foremost I think I knocked a vacuum line off so need to find that. It was running like a line was disconnected. Nevertheless making progress and first ride is a good moment. :bstar:
Video after I find that leak,.....
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Big Rich

:thumb:

That first ride is always an awesome experience..... even when there's problems to be sorted out. And they get better & better afterwards!
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

cbrfxr67

Changed out all the vac lines and running nicely now.  Didn't have time to make video but hopefully tonight. :icon_mrgreen:
-buddha

Shepa

Finally! For a year or two, I was affraid you gave up.

😂😂😂

Sent from my toilet seat using HTC FartPhone

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

steezin_and_wheezin

if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

cbrfxr67

U hilarious steez :icon_razz:

It was getting dark and this is mainly to see my chain alignment and how it looks in motion.  I think it's ok.  Still alot to sew up, connectors hanging, need to rework the tail or try a new idea, turn signals, show's hugger idea, front brake is completely useless-waiting on replacement, shifter is janky and backwards, install radiator temp sensor, some welding reinforcement, other crap I'm sure.  Hopefully it'll come together smoothly and I can make it a daily driver.  Open header sounds awful by the way hahah

please flame me for riding in shorts 8)
-buddha

iamhiding

CBR! you ridiculous human being  :icon_lol: :icon_mrgreen:  :cheers:

can't believe it's coming together now. usually i hate side mounted radiators like the vtr with naked bikes but with how far the engine protrudes, then the radiators as well it just looks bat shaZam! crazy wide and mean. that's a proper mental looking machine man, cant wait to see some more angles of it in the light.

it's a shame most of the thread is dead links now, hope you've got some extra bracing on that frame  :icon_twisted:  :thumb:
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter
//gsxr 1100 mental oldskool supersport
//gs500 daily rat tracker cafe fighter that changes every couple of month... cafe fighter?

cbrfxr67

ha iam!!  That was only way I could figure to get them on there!  First time they heated up was pretty cool moment for me :icon_mrgreen: tbh.  Right now, waiting on gs500f tail cause I hate how the 600rr tail looks.  I figure returning to gs lineage would be best.  I hear buddha snickering somewhere as I'm typing that.  lol  Still have bunch of small things to do.  I think the frame is ok.  Well I'm hoping it is!  Installed inline temp sensor so I need to take it out to see if it's working right,...

,...maybe I can fix some of those old pic links,...

Where's some videos Shep?!  At least a pic or something! :icon_razz:  Couldn't give up on it.  It's just been sitting there waiting,...  trying to get it sewed up and lane splitting asap!
-buddha

Shepa

Well, I'm sad to say it, but I've sold my bike couple of days ago, so I could buy something else.
It's been fun 6 years since the engine swap, and (only) 36000 kms traveled, but I guess it was time to let go.
I wish I could afford to keep it together with a new bike, but I couldn't.
So... only memories, photos, and couple of videoclips taken during the swap process remain.
😭😭😭😭😭

Sent from my toilet seat using HTC FartPhone
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

cbrfxr67

Playing with tail(s).  I hate how the huge tail looks that I put on it, so thought to go back to gs origins.

unfortunately that looks worse.  So, had a later and smaller rr tail and,...

looks a little better.  I 'think' I'll go with this.  Need to fab some mounts and then some side covers to hide the frame & wiring.  Still, I have the seat and tail cover already.  Sorry pic is blurry, my phone is slowly crapping out.
-buddha

The fink

Be who YOU are, and say what YOU feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss

iamhiding

:cheers: :thumb: awesome!

so what are you're plans for the forks, shock and rear wheel?

i dont mind that 600rr tail, it does look a bit too long though, i cant tell in the pics is that the 04ish tail with the vents either side of the rider seat or the rr7 and later without?

the gs has a good looking seat i reckon but the plastics are a bit... mehh.

i dont know what kind of look you're going for but have you considered a rs125/rs250 race tail? theres a couple of variations but they're awfully good looking, quite short, sharp and simple. a smaller tail is going to open the gap around the rear wheel, visually emphasise the massive motor and... front end if you put some 929 upside downies on or something to that effect  :thumb:

this build is just too mental!  :cheers: :icon_eek: love it.
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter
//gs500 daily rat tracker cafe fighter that changes every couple of month... cafe fighter?

J_Walker

the 04 tail is the first one with the "vents"

I vote cut off the rear subframe all together and sit on the gas tank the whole time...  :icon_twisted:
-Walker

Endopotential

or forget about tail plastics altogether, as I did on mine  :D
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/140 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

ShowBizWolf

iamhiding

Quote from: J_Walker on October 27, 2017, 11:48:25 AM
the 04 tail is the first one with the "vents"

I vote cut off the rear subframe all together and sit on the gas tank the whole time...  :icon_twisted:

nope, rr3 to rr6 have vents in the side, rr5 and rr6 have vents and keyholes to the rear of the riders seat but the earlier ones dont. rr7 onwards doesn't have vents, it's physically shorter(finishes half way along the seat) and retains the key hole. to answer my own question it'll be one of the earlier ones in the pic :icon_lol:

Quote from: Endopotential on October 30, 2017, 10:28:42 AM
or forget about tail plastics altogether, as I did on mine  :D

i'm with either of those ideas!  :icon_twisted: :cheers: less weight = more fasterererer  :icon_lol: or cut the lot off and just stand on the pegs  :cheers:
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

cbrfxr67

That's good info iam!  Original tail didn't have the keyhole but this one does.  I couldn't figure out why I had two different tails from 'supposedly' the same model.  Either way, I like the shorter one w/ keyhole better now.

I'd like to do a swingarm swap with bigger tire.  Jim said he has a deal for me on an extended s/a so might try that.  Not really sure yet.  Fork swap would be great too but it'll be down the line.

Endo, I thought about it but I need a place for the battery.  The way the fuel pump hangs down, plus wiring, I don't have good room to get a battery in there too.  Using the tail gives me plenty of room.

Reworking the tail and cut that mess off to redo it.  Better lines and actually straight this time.  Funny how that is when you look back at old work.  Thinking wth was I doing,...haha

-buddha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk