News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shepa

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

cbrfxr67

Yesterday, drained the Marvel (no leaks), went and got a battery and oil, hooked everything up and kept popping the main fuse.  Pulled out my handy Lisle bypass starter and cranked away.  It didn't start because I haven't hooked up my auxillary tank but I was looking to see if it would crank..  Seemed fine, just like it worked before I stored it a few years back.  Next is to connect some gas, check if the carbs leak and see if it will fire up.  The main fuse problem, I'll have to figure out too.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

gtscott

did you connect a positive wire to earth anywhere?

cbrfxr67

Worked on my electrical problem last night.  Have two solenoids for the 600 but I seem to remember both of them being shot.  Have two for the GS so initially used the GS' but kept popping the fuse.  Tried both of the 600 solenoids and neither worked so will have to get another one.  Not sure what is different about the GS' models, they fit the 600 harness.  Going to look around a bit on the web today.

After work went back to the solenoid.  Found no power getting from the connector on the solenoid/fuse to the harness (?).  Hacked it and replaced it with another and power was there all the way to ignition switch but not to the starter button or lighting up gauge cluster.  Need more time to find the problem,...
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Was gonig to start a thread on 'master link vs rivet style' chain link but saw it had been done before.  Had my master link break or come off and my chain flew off the back when I was riding home yesterday.  Luckily I wasn't going very fast or on the freeway.  Lucky too that I have the bikehauler running to where I could go get it.  I'll be getting a rivet tool here shortly though, just for peace of mind's sake, if not for safety.

On another note, got a new solenoid in, so will try that today and see if it helps any.
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Sunday, found that not only was my solenoid bad the ignition switch was bad too.  Had another on hand so swapped it in and gauges lit up.  :thumb: Starter switch turned it over nicely.  Today going to add gas and see how it runs.
-buddha

xunedeinx

cbrfxr67

Mostly did carb work over the weekend as I kept springing leaks.  Finally yesterday took everything off, broke the bank apart and replaced the o-rings between each carb.  Reassembly was the best yet and I think I finally found where the ___-ing leak was.  Time allowing, reassembly, start up, might as well balance the carbs while everything is off and hopefully upswing into getting fuel system sewed up.

**Wednesday pm: Got it back together, minus the airbox so I could sync and starter fluid gets it going but then it dies.  This weekend will try to work out the idling problem.  Sounds ridiculously loud with no muffler on it.  :2guns:
-buddha

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on May 12, 2011, 09:37:16 AM
I'm not sure how to incorporate the pod filters.  I know they do it on the sprint cars that use these engines but I've never seen the way they are adapted to the carb.  I should look into that.  And definitely will do a rear swingarm swap eventually.  These tires are in like new shape, but when they get worn out I want to do the swingarm swap.  I already have an F3 swingarm but I believe it is too wide to fit (9").  Also, I'm sure I will do the front end change to get rid of those awful gs handlebars.  Need more time in the day!
could mod the tank somewhat. a c-notch in the underside.
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

cbrfxr67

Thanks for the tip YHKS.  I'll get back to the tank eventually; right now using auxillary tank.  This weekend worked on carbs.  My boots were dried up and not sealing carbs to engine, which was messing up my vacuum.  Fixed that and started on the first crank.  I ran it for about a minute just to see if it would idle and it seemed really good for no tuning yet.  I didn't have the cooling system hooked up so connected my hoses and filled it up and ran it again with same good results.
Next will be to balance the carbs and work on tuning them to run better.  Then I'll redo my chain, finish the foot pegs I received awhile back.  When I get that far it'll be rideable, well maybe if I use that tip from YHKS.
-buddha

ohgood

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on October 22, 2011, 08:07:12 AM
Was gonig to start a thread on 'master link vs rivet style' chain link but saw it had been done before.  Had my master link break or come off and my chain flew off the back when I was riding home yesterday.  Luckily I wasn't going very fast or on the freeway.  Lucky too that I have the bikehauler running to where I could go get it.  I'll be getting a rivet tool here shortly though, just for peace of mind's sake, if not for safety.

On another note, got a new solenoid in, so will try that today and see if it helps any.

excellent choice of a cheap-ass-parts-are-everywhere-and-interchangable-shitbox-van for hauling your cool stuff around. astros were great except:

driver leg room
passenger leg room
stupid engine shroud
stupid radio 3 miles from the driver
rear doors bouncing off the taillights
stupid f%$king spark plugs under 33 inches of cats'ass insulation, and said engine shroud
unfucking possible seats
are you ffucking kidding me with the berretta door handles ? really ? GM ?
huge plastic door panels
shaZam! plastic dash
grill, or as we called it "the basketball deflector shield"
paint pealing everywhere
anti-WTF_CRASH-brakes that sometimes work, sometimes not so much

and i do mean great:
4.3 liters of smooooooooth interstate powa
fiberglass leafs
choke a horse AC
burn the tires for a week (see 4.3 liters of smoooooth)
power steering a gnat could turn

anyway, on with your thread, that's a kickass van  O0

tt_four: "and believe me, BMW motorcycles are 50% metal, rubber and plastic, and 50% useless

cbrfxr67

I paid 200 big ones for the bikehauler.  It's actually my second Astro.  My first one I drove for a few years then stripped it (r.i.p.) and put its engine/trans into this one.  It's an 88 and just right for hauling bikes and crap.  I wasn't sure my bike'd fit with the windscreen but it went right in.  Great list ohgood!!  That made my day!

**and last night started pulling my bike apart.  Want to clean out my carbs and check fuel system over and I also need the cylinder adapters to sync the carbs on the GS.
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Last night pulled the adapters off my bike and threaded them into the GS.  Actually broke one and had to use an easyout.  Luckily soft brass comes out without too much hassle and I had an extra one.

After got gauges set up messed around getting them sync'd.  Went quite well, rev'd nicely, sounded great, although neighbors probably don't agree.

Still need more time to dial them in.  Headers were smoking up the garage so I stopped before someone called the fire department.  heheh

Also, going to pick up a 95 Katana tonight that we found for a couple big ones.  I figure at the worst we can pull parts, stick them on the GS and piece out the rest.
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Well Katana pick up fell through for one reason or another.  Got back to work Sunday, sync'ing and running it and was really happy with how things were going.  Sounded good, responsive, balanced well so I pulled adapters and gauges off and figured I'd get busy on exhaust.  My friend came over so I was going to start it for her to hear, and -click-.  Nothing.  I tried it again. -click-.  Starter was engaging but not turning the engine over.  wth.  For some reason I had a hunch, and cylinder one was hydrolocked.

There it was, bubbling away and filling up the cylinder with gas.  SOAB.  So, going to pull carbs again and swap the float, go through number one and see if there is something obvious.  Sometimes I really loathe carbs.
-buddha

Shepa

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on November 14, 2011, 02:08:18 PMMy friend came over so I was going to start it for her to hear, and -click-.  Nothing.  I tried it again. -click-.  Starter was engaging but not turning the engine over.  wth.  For some reason I had a hunch, and cylinder one was hydrolocked.

There it was, bubbling away and filling up the cylinder with gas.  SOAB.  So, going to pull carbs again and swap the float, go through number one and see if there is something obvious.  Sometimes I really loathe carbs.
Seems like a common issue with those F2 carbs, huh?  ;)

Just out of precaution, try installing an electric valve on the fuel line (like I did), so you'll be sure not to hydrolock it (at least while switched off).

Last week, my babe all of the sudden started sputtering while in 3rd gear way up in red line... so I freaked out that the timing chain jumped the tooth...
Tesla thought one of the exhaust valves snapped, so we tore half the engine down, checked the carbs, checked the sparks, checked the compression, checked the timing chain...

The last thing we did was pour some fresh fuel in it...  :icon_mrgreen:

The day before, I've sent Tesla's nephew to fill in a couple of liters (since the bike was on reserve, and we planned to sync the carbs)...
Apparently, he filled a couple of liters all right... except it was a diesel, not petrol.  :cookoo:
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

cbrfxr67

Yes I need a Tshirt: "Everything I learned about carbs is thanks to my F2."  But, Diesel????!!  That's a whole lotta work for a brainfart!

Yesterday, pulled carbs, replaced #1 float/valve and put carbs back on.  Piston was at the top of the stroke so hydrolock wasn't that bad, took out plug and mityvac'd remaining gas out of cylinder, then turned over the engine a few times with plug out.  Oil level was okay and didn't smell like gas so I'm going to leave the oil change for later.  Will test out later to see if float/valve swap solved issue.
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Over the long weekend, put pegs on and modded shifter linkage to fit, bled rear brake -for some reason po must've unscrewed the bleeder valve, put nice new oring chain on since I stole the other one for my bike and worked on getting clutch cable adjusted right.  Shifted through gears ok but hard to get back into neutral so I think I need to get it adjusted right or simply swap over to 600 cable.
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Got clutch adjusted and realized I had reversed the gearing, so fixed that and had to mod my airbox just a bit to fit.  Had an annoying fitment issue (crankcase vent tube) that wasn't there before.  Fixed that, ran it and all seemed good.  Wanted to get a 'first ride' in and then it started raining.  After rain passed gave it a shot and putted up and down the road.  Something kept rubbing, and hitting a bump jolted the wheel into the radiator.  Nice.  So, with a bend in the bottom of the radiator I put it up for the day.  Need to figure out a better way to mount the radiator or a smaller radiator or maybe go back to my original idea of dual smaller sized radiators.  Other than that, felt really good to ride it finally.  Any ideas on the radiator issue would be appreciated. 
-buddha

dohabee

How about longer and or stiffer front forks? maybe stiffer springs in the gs fork tubes?

cbrfxr67

Was thinking about that dohabee.  Shepa didn't have the same problem so perhaps my forks are worn out.  I haven't done anything to them yet, not even checked them out, probably should do that before reconfiguring whole radiator.
-buddha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk