News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Last Post Wins - V3

Started by Toledo Jim, March 17, 2013, 12:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peteGS

Hahaha good chance Janxy! Out of curiousity who did you buy yours from? I have a few online options I've found but I haven't dropped in to any bike shops to see if they're on the shelf yet. Need a slight detour on the way home from work to do that.

The XSR still putting a great big smile on your dial I hope?  :icon_mrgreen:

Rode the Kat to work three days this week to see how the idle and 1/8 throttle cruise fueling is with the VM33's, and that's really made me notice so much more how much I like the Kat riding position compared to the 450. Yesterday I took the 450 and I could hardly put my feet on the footpegs properly, kept missing because they were going back too far, and my wrists felt like they were sitting at unnatural angles when holding the 'bars.

Now I need that magical money tree to grow so I can get a second Kat for a daily rider... I can dream right? :D

Of course I could do some more mod's on the 450, clubman 'bars or clipons, adapt some rear sets and make brackets, but that would require extra things like replacing the front master cylinder, figuring out how to actuate the rear drum from different rearsets, and I'm sure there'll be other little odds and ends that crop up. If I start that exercise, I'll likely be inclined to neaten it up as well which means doing something about the dent in the left header from the diesel spill, freshening up the paint job, adding a frame mount bikini fairing so I can have a frame mounted headlight, and that'll end up turning into a big expensive project again...

After doing all that, it'll still be a 450cc parallel twin... I must admit the sound of an line four cylinder does become quite addictive... and I feel 750cc would be a nice compromise in capacity between the little twin and the 1100 Kat...

:dunno_black:
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Janx101

Grip puppies from here https://shop.bikerbits.com.au/

Yes it's making me grin! ... face gets sore sometimes! Lol

..... and I've done some calculations..... you have a parallel twin.... an inline 4..... what fits between them?! ... 3 cylinders!! !!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

And all variants of this Yamaha with the cp3 engine have 847cc .... and that's LESS than 100cc different from your ideal 750cc!!! ....

You think inline 4 is addictive!!?!?! .... try out the triple and you better be wearing pants with a loose crotch area!!  :icon_lol:

And look! Here's a low km one in Qld!! .... and set up as a scrambler too!!... you don't have a scrambler Pete!!!

https://www.bikesales.com.au/bikes/details/2015-yamaha-mt-09/OAG-AD-16893454/?Cr=0

..... thinking..... that much oomph in a scrambler...  :icon_twisted: .... be a bit like a Sand Rail!!

Just sayin!!! :angeldevil:

peteGS

Hahaha sore face from grinning is awesome Mr Janxy!! Glad to hear it!!!  :icon_mrgreen: :D

If your experience with the XSR is anything like mine with the Kat, you will still have that  :D :icon_mrgreen: in six months time, more than likely even longer! I know it's six months because my rego is due!

Got back a bit early from our ride yesterday so I ducked past Team Moto and they had Rippa Grips in stock which they reckon are the same thing, so for $26 I grabbed them and put them on last night, try to get a test ride in this morning. It just so happens I sold an old seat on Gumtree last week for $30 so that worked out well!

An MT Scrambler hey? Cool and interesting!! Technically my 450 is somewhat scrambler-ish though ;) although I don't think loose crotch pants are required for mine  :icon_razz:

Oh, and speaking of test rides and so forth... we did ride yesterday...

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr

'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

peteGS

Test ride with smaller main jets and Rippa Grips... check!

Smaller main jets are I think a touch too small, so now I know what I need to order  :thumb:

Rippa Grips sure do help with the vibes etc.! I still have cramp type grip issue but it's 100% due to getting used to the stiffer throttle action of the VM33 Smoothbores. Once I keep reminding myself not to hold on so tight it improves a lot, so I'm with ya' that they're a winner Janxy!  :woohoo: :thumb:

I don't find the diameter increase to be a bad thing either  :thumb:
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Janx101

The Rippa's are Good also!.. just heard a few reports the foam degrades a bit. But haven't spoken to anyone directly... all web based..

I still get a bit of an ache at base of thumb sometimes.... it reminds me to sit up properly and not lean on the bars!

Got near a full tank of fuel at the moment... and rainy afternoons by the time I finish work!!! .... harumph!!!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

peteGS

We can do a comparo, we both installed pretty much the same time so it will be valid!!  :thumb:

I've only done the one ride so far so we shall see how my hands feel after a few more, although actual fun riding is curbed for the moment as my rear tyre is... well... you know when you get to that point where the centre flattens out and the slightest bit of an off camber corner makes the back end feel horrible and squirrely? That's where it's at.

In addition to that it's old and a little on the hard side, so the edge grip has always felt a little off to me.

Still very rideable if I take easy so at least I can keep riding the Kat  :D

Payday is Friday week, so the plan is to replace it then, can't wait!

Full tank and rainy afternoons??? Bugger! That's the definition of inconvenient right there!!!
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

peteGS

New smaller main jets arrived yesterday and installed last night, will have to ride it to work now just to see how it goes despite never touching 3/4 or WOT on the commute  :icon_mrgreen:

But decisions need to be made! Eventually anyway... main issue with the 450 now is the handlebar position feeling unnatural after getting off the Kat, and my feet missing the footpegs and gear changes due to looking for more rearward pegs.

I think a second 750 Kat is unrealistic unless magic happens (or I get made redundant which is a distinct possibility) and of course I still need to put $$ aside for the Kat head rebuild.

A set of steel Clubman 'bars for the 450 can be had for $41 providing they work with the tank etc. although that would mean revisiting the master cylinder and getting a shorter brake line, probably another $150 to $200 at a guess depending on what master I get and knowing it would need rebuilding.

A mate has a set of ZX12 rearsets for sale at the moment for $50, meaning I just need to make adapter plates and figure how to actuate the rear drum, which would all in theory be just labour.

So around $300 and I could get a more Kat like riding position... worth contemplating I think!
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

yamahonkawazuki

Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

peteGS

Hahahahaha and this is the car to get there in!

'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

yamahonkawazuki

Best song for a bad day

some slight language. semi nsfw
Aaron
".
A proud Mormon

peteGS

'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

peteGS

Yay it's pay day tomorrow! Kat gets rego renewal paid and a new rear tyre... and man is that rear tyre necessary! Looked at it closer when I took it off last night and the centre is close to resembling a racing slick... cornering feels like shaZam!...
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

yamahonkawazuki

".
A proud Mormon

cbrfxr67

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

yamahonkawazuki

".
A proud Mormon

peteGS

Now that's a nice bit of road Yama, would most definitely be a fun ride!!!  :thumb:

And no CBR, they don't cross... but my eyes hurt now  :icon_lol:

Not sure if you lot follow MotoGP or not but Lorenzo is retiring at the end of the year... guess he had to do something given his current lack of performance levels  :dunno_black: Never really liked him but he has talent, pity to see him go out in a lull like that rather than at the top of his game.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

yamahonkawazuki

".
A proud Mormon

peteGS

Hahahahahaha glad those Tesla engineers are doing the important stuff  :icon_lol: :D :bowdown: :thumb:

Rego renewed on the Kat and new rear tyre on... I had forgotten how much difference fresh rubber makes, feels so much better now! Did about 35km to start scrubbing it in ahead of this morning's ride  :thumb:

Ordered a set of clubman 'bars for the 450 as well, a whole $29 including free postage, and my mate should have that set of ZX12 rearsets for me today.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

yamahonkawazuki

Been binge listening to Kevin bloody Wilson. Lol
Aaron
".
A proud Mormon

peteGS

Hahaha that's entertainment right there!  :thumb:

Awesome ride yesterday, between the fresh rear rubber and getting the VM33's finally sorted I had the best ride on my favourite roads yet, and we had six Kats all up and no other brands or models either, just 100% Kat  :thumb:

'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk