Author Topic: tank reserve - you call that a reserve  (Read 8032 times)

Offline MinnGS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
tank reserve - you call that a reserve
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2004, 04:52:35 AM »
Thanks again. That is an excellent answer.

I have to say that buying the GS500 was the smartest thing I have ever done.  I hope to make a few changes to the bike in the next few months:

lower bars: cafe style
bar end mirrors
stiffer springs in the front fork(even at my 155lb weight it feels soft)
exhaust??

Truly a fun bike!!
'02 GS500e
no mods, keepin' it pure and simple

Offline Kerry

• GS Cow-Boy and Moo-derator
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Motorcycle God!
    • http://www.bbburma.net/
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2004, 07:23:58 AM »
Quote from: airbrush
switched fuel hoses?? how do you mean? but in the on position all seems well...just the reserve doesnt do squat. Will switching the hoses remedy this? The tank was off before i picked up the bike...as i painted it. The dealer put it back together for me. Maybe I should check this out then??

If your fuel hoses are switched at the fuel tank, and you put the frame-mounted petcock in the ON position, then when you run out of fuel you will have run all the way through your REServe.  Switching to REServe will enable the normal ON function, which will have become useless many miles before this point.

The fuel hoses on your 2004 should be just like the 2002 setup.

Take a look at the 2002 BikeBandit "Fuel chicken" page.

The first thing to know is that the in-tank petcock is depicted at the "wrong" angle.  It has been rotated 180 degrees, presumably so you can see the OFF / ON / OFF switch on the "in" side of the petcock.  When mounted on the bike, the longer (RES) outlet tube should be in front and the shorter (ON) outlet in back.  (For further clues, see the 'R' stamped in the petcock above the RES outlet tube, and the 'O' stamped above the ON outlet.)

Now examine the hoses in the BikeBandit diagram.  Item #5 is labeled as the ON hose, so it should be connected to the shorter outlet tube.  Item #6 is the RES hose and should be connected to the longer outlet.

NOTE: The following diagram (from the Clymer manual!) is for the 1989-2000 models, but it shows that the 180-degree rotation on the Suzuki parts fiche has given lots of folks the wrong impression over the years:

The Haynes manual shows the (1989-2000) hoses connected to the correct outlets, but it STILL shows the petcock mounted backwards:

I can't decide which diagram is more "dangerous" - the one that shows the hoses in the right position or the one that doesn't show the outlet tubes at all.

==========================================

The only thing left unexplained would be:  Why does the lower (RES) portion of the in-tank filter "run dry" after only 3 gallons?  The only possibility I can see is some combination of filling the bike with it leaned over on the sidestand, and inserting the pump nozzle all the way into the fuel tank.  This could easily rob you of a couple gallons worth of space in the tank.

If everything is hooked up right, then when the RES position runs dry you should still be able to get a few miles farther by switching to the PRI position.  But not if the hoses are switched - the PRI position draws fuel from the RES hose, and if the hose is connected to the higher filter drain level inside the tank, then PRI will be as worthless as RES.
Yellow 1999 GS500E
Kerry's Suzuki GS500 Page

Offline jnosal

• Local Club Racer
    • http://www.nosalcentral.com
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2004, 01:48:58 PM »
I was having a problem like this a few weeks back. I found that the hoses on the lower petcock were in the wrong position. I think everythingis working fine now.

At this point i still havn't had the nerve to run it to the point that I needed to run on reserve. Might do that on this tank of gas and carry a small gas can with me the day I think it will happen.  :)

jnosal
Yellow 99 GS500E

Offline BK

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2004, 04:29:09 PM »
MinnGS

On your GS, when the arrow is facing down your in the "ON" position.

Just for clarity, you don't need to use the prime position unless you completely run out of fuel.  All priming does is gravity fills your carbs with fuel as opposed the normal suction filling.  When you run out of gas your carbs are empty, this just refills them.  If you do use prime, switch over to either "on" or "res" as soon as it gets running smoothly again.  If I'm not mistaken if you leave it in prime when you shut the bike off all the gas will continue to run out of the overflow on the carbs and there goes a full tank of gas and your MPG.

Offline MinnGS

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2004, 06:20:15 PM »
Thanks BK.

:thumb:

I have to say, this site is one of the best support sites i have seen.
Everyone has been quite helpful and straight forward.

out.
'02 GS500e
no mods, keepin' it pure and simple

Offline Kerry

• GS Cow-Boy and Moo-derator
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Motorcycle God!
    • http://www.bbburma.net/
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2004, 09:09:08 PM »
Quote from: BK
On your GS, when the arrow is facing down your in the "ON" position.

Yep, this is true for all models.  For anyone who cares, the RES and PRI positions are different from the pre-2001 bikes to the 2001+ models.

1989-2000:
Code: [Select]

PRI

RES  |
     v
    ON

2001+:
Code: [Select]

RES

|  PRI
     v
    ON

Just for clarity, you don't need to use the prime position unless you completely run out of fuel.  All priming does is gravity fills your carbs with fuel as opposed the normal suction filling.

Correct on the gravity-feed nature of the PRI position.  But some folks also use the PRI setting (momentarily) when their bike starts sputtering as it runs out of gas, just before switching to the RES setting.  This is because the PRI setting can be more "quick-acting" than the vacuum-dependent RES setting.

If I'm not mistaken if you leave it in prime when you shut the bike off all the gas will continue to run out of the overflow on the carbs and there goes a full tank of gas and your MPG.

It would be more correct to say that "the possibility exists" for an overflow.  As long as the fuel system is clean, this should NOT happen.  But if dirt particles or old, gummy fuel causes one of the float needle valves to stay open, then what BK describes is the result.
Yellow 1999 GS500E
Kerry's Suzuki GS500 Page

Offline Sportbilly

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2004, 09:40:04 PM »
I have to add, that the reason you still get a mile or so down the road after switching to "reserve" is that there'll still be a little bit of fuel above the petcock in the tube.
Sportbilly, Professional Slave, Amateur Alcoholic
'89 GS500E (retd.), '00 ZR-7

"Oh, bother" said Pooh, slapping another magazine into his AK-47.

Offline ravenboy

• Local Club Racer
Re: tank reserve - you call that a reserve
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 12:16:28 AM »
I've had the same problem. 2004 Model. Running fine, start to run out of gas, move to reserve and will run for a mile or so before it's dead. Happnened again today, stopped on the road side, looked in the tank and it was empty. Fortunately the gas station was within 1/2 mile. My though, always be aware of the milage since the last fill-up and look in the tank before every ride.

Offline beRto

• World Superbike Racer
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 12:26:01 AM »
I've had the same problem. 2004 Model. Running fine, start to run out of gas, move to reserve and will run for a mile or so before it's dead. Happnened again today, stopped on the road side, looked in the tank and it was empty. Fortunately the gas station was within 1/2 mile. My though, always be aware of the milage since the last fill-up and look in the tank before every ride.

Have you checked the routing of your fuel lines? If there is no RES fuel left, your fuel lines must be switched. See Kerry's post in this same thread.

Offline lewismug

• Formula Extreme Racer
  • "But Officer, I'm not speeding, I'm qualifying!"
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 01:37:51 AM »
I find it odd that no-one has mentioned a torn/bad diaphragm in the frame mounted petcock.  Couldn't this cause the symptoms he is experiencing?  My bike does the same thing and when I posted a question about it, that was one of the first things mentioned.  I haven't looked into it yet, but I'm pretty sure it's the problem with my bike.  I just fill up @ the 200 mile mark.

Offline airbrush

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AMA Superbike Racer
    • http://www.custom-airbrush.com
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 01:50:09 AM »
Check the routing of the hoses. If they're hooked up to the right outlets, make sure the lines aren't pinched somewhere...this is what happened to me. The dealer has mounted the tank back on..the reserve hose was pinched against the frame tightly.
jeff - 2004GS500F...custom paint by me, :)

-Maker of GS500 rear huggers/GS500 keychains - get yours

www.custom-airbrush.com
jeff@custom-airbrush.com

Offline beRto

• World Superbike Racer
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 03:25:00 AM »
I find it odd that no-one has mentioned a torn/bad diaphragm in the frame mounted petcock.  Couldn't this cause the symptoms he is experiencing?  My bike does the same thing and when I posted a question about it, that was one of the first things mentioned.  I haven't looked into it yet, but I'm pretty sure it's the problem with my bike.  I just fill up @ the 200 mile mark.

:dunno_white:  I don't see how a diaphragm tear would drain the RES. The tank outlet (ON or RES) is controlled by the plastic valve behind the diaphragm. Maybe if that valve was broken?... but that seems pretty unlikely.

EDIT: the photo below was copied only to show the plastic valve that controls fuel flow. Please ignore the JB Weld and the related comments

(taken from this thread: http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=19363.0)

On second thought, I seem to recall you have a newer GS? If so, the insides are totally different; fuel starvation shouldn't even be a problem??  :dunno_white:
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=37366.0
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 03:52:08 PM by beRto »

Offline birdman

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2008, 03:40:56 PM »
A malfunctioning diaphragm will not allow fuel in either On or RES. They both rely on the same passage for fuel supply to the carbs. 

This is truly a reversed fuel line problem. 
My bike's PO had actually put the supply line to the carbs on the RES port of the petcock and talk about confused fuel supply. It only put out fuel in PRI.