Author Topic: Greetings All! A few questions if you don't mind....  (Read 1891 times)

Offline SCROOGE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Greetings All! A few questions if you don't mind....
« on: March 22, 2005, 04:26:14 AM »
I am pretty much set on a 2001 GS500 as my first bike which I plan to use (over time) as my primary method of transportation -- before you ask, I've already aced the MSF, am fully aware of the ATGATT concept, crazy cagers, etc. :lol:.  I initially got interested in this bike after reading up on the typical "starter bikes" and of course due to the lower cost of maintenance, fuel consumption, and insurance as compared to other bikes which should work well with my uber frugal lifestyle (aka broke grad student).  

My first question is would this bike be big enough for me at 6'2 185lbs?  I've had a few folks tell me that I am way to lanky for the machine and would just be uncomfortable on it (I got a deal on the the 2001 and will be picking it up next weekend if all goes well from a guy in another part of this state, so I haven't actually sat on the bike to determine if this is true or not).  

Question #2  :mrgreen:

Let's say I fit on the machine just fine and after a few parking lot drills and sidestreet practicing I decide I'm ready to start using the bike on a more regular basis -- where would I go to change the stock mirrors to the bar-end type (easily) as shown here:

^^btw, this is the exact same color bike I'm looking at....

Question #3

Still in the mod mode, is there any way a practically mechanically incompotent person such as myself can get the "Buell light" look or something along the lines of the following image without drlling, blowtorching, etc. (all I can pretty much handle is a wrench and a screwdriver;) -- plus my workspace would basically consist of my apartment's carport):

I know it was discussed in this thread: http://gstwins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15716&highlight=buell+headlights  that the above light/fairing was a piece of crap, but I am curious as to why I've seen so many GS's with that mod -- I personally think it looks kinda sharp.

Question #4 (Oh yeah, it ain't over.... :guns:)

I know this is probably the dumbest question, but would a bicycle U-Lock

and a steel chain work as an exceptable motorcycle lock up? Remember I'm cheap, but I still want to go to sleep and not worry about the bike being sold for parts at the scrap yard. the next day

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help out.

Be Safe.

Offline Blueknyt

• Wants a nicer title
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 04:43:37 AM »
im 5'11 and 270 and moves me just fine, you can always get another set of handlebars to fit your size alittle more comfortably.
Accelerate like your being chased, Corner like you mean it, Brake as if you life depends on it.
Ride Hard...or go home.

Its you Vs the pavement.....who wins today?

Offline alexXx

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 05:01:48 AM »
uhm i'd say...NO on the bicycle lock...look into a better lock, its worth the money...cheaper than replacing a bike!!

- alex
'03 SV650S

Offline 94suzuki500

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 06:17:43 AM »
my friend has ridden my bike he is 6 foot 2in.  He says he would rather have somthing bigger.  But just sit on the bike and see how it feels.  make your own choice about it.

Offline weaselnoze

• noobie no no
  • Motorcycle God!
  • the red robot thing is ghey now.
    • http://weaselnoze.matrixdancer.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 07:04:28 AM »
#1 - there are people of all different sizes and shapes on this site that say the bike is comfortable.  it seems to me that the GS supports a wide variety of people

#2 - you said "where would I go".  do it yourself! its simple enough

#3 - "is there any way a practically mechanically incompotent person such as myself..." seriously dont be afraid to try it yourself.  pretty much anything with this bike, aside from painting, is possible to do yourself or with some instruction.  everything from an oil change, to valve adjustments, to bulb replacement, to regular maintenence is made easy with the great people on this site.

#4 - there are several popular bike security setups available, that not being one of them  :mrgreen:  

hope that helped some?

http://weaselnoze.matrixdancer.com/

RIP RICH! We'll miss you buddy!

Offline pantablo

• Post Whore Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Motorcycle God!
    • http://pantablo500.tripod.com/
Re: Greetings All! A few questions if you don't mind....
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 07:20:23 AM »
Quote from: SCROOGE
as shown here:

same color because ALL US model 2001 gs500's were that color...no choice there. 2002 got the uber cool black.

that's my bike! uh, before I sold it.

As far as fit goes I've heard from people that were your height and the gs500 fit them best of the starter bikes they sat on. the tank shape on the ex500 didnt feel good to most lanky riders. You might feel a bit big for the bike but make due as a price to pay for a great learning experience. Imagine people your size starting on honda rebel 250's! talk about too big for the bike.

If you go the bar end mirror route I recommend the Napoleon mirrors. even though I didnt like them I found the bicycle mirrors (of which my bike had several types) didnt last long against the constant vibration of the bike. Try Third Eye mirrors for bikes, if you insist. these plug right into the end of the bar and take all of 2 minutes to install. Good visibility, abeit you have to look farther down than with stock location.

I suggest you hold off making any mods to the headlight. if you're going to be using it often at night you'll come to appreciate the light you get from stock, compared to some of those aftermarket ones. I made a cosmetic change to mine by adding the sv650 headlight (check out my site-http://pantablo500.tripod.com for more info).

The gs500 is not high on theives list (unlike my 600rr apparently). But you'll still want to give yourself the most protection you can. Do you park it outside at home or are you concerned with safety when you are at school, etc? If at home parked outside, you might as well leave the keys in it-cable can be cut in seconds. you need to lock it to an immovable object with a hefty chain. I had my 600rr parked in my carport and the only thing that kept theives from taking it a few weeks ago is www.bikebrace.com (which was featured in the latest issue of sport rider magazine). ulock and cable securing front wheel and cover cut clean. cover gone but bike was saved by brace.

congratulations on passing the MSF. wear good gear (helmet, jacket, boots, gloves as a minumum). wear it all the time when riding, even for a quick spin around the block.

congratulations also on your new bike purchase... :thumb:

Offline Dom

• Wears Pink and Red tights
  • World Supersport Racer
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 07:40:47 AM »
Regarding the Buell headlights, I have them and the mounting brackets are somewhat of an involved process.  Propane torch, drill, drill bits, 1" x 1/4" steel bar, bench vice and I can tell you how to make them.  

The Buells IMHO provide better much lighting than stock.  I guess when I see davipu in a couple of weeks we can line our bikes up side by side and it should be pretty apparent which is better.  I run two 80 watters and Pantablo has had problems with running that much wattage...fried wires I guess...I havn't had any problems yet though so I think I'll just run them until I fry something then rebuild the harness with 16 ga. wire or something.  I think stock comes with 18 ga. which is a little thin but isn't going to fry under normal operation.  Lots of high wattage appliances are wired with 18 ga.; blenders, hair dryers, microwaves, etc.  Pantablo, did you accidentally use too high of a fuse or something?  Usually it takes a ground out to melt wires.

Offline pantablo

• Post Whore Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Motorcycle God!
    • http://pantablo500.tripod.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 08:10:25 AM »
just to clarify-wires were good. the plastic plug that plugs into the headlight was slightly melted when I ran a PIAA 80/80 bulb. lasted 5 months or so before it blew out. I suspect that's when the plastic plug melted a bit.

Offline Dom

• Wears Pink and Red tights
  • World Supersport Racer
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 08:21:39 AM »
Ok, I had to cut off the stock h4 connector and used male/female bullet connectors, so I  might not have that problem when the light goes out...instead it might cook my wires.   O boy!  :mrgreen:  

What I have experienced in the past is that wires don't get gradually hot, usually it takes an instantananeous event, aka a ground out, and the wires immediately fry.  I don't think it's a cumulative process, i.e. a gradual decay,  
so maybe Pantablo got a bum bulb or something...wierd.  But you wouldn't think that the bulb would draw more when it finally burns out but IANA electrician so all I can do is speculate.

Offline Jeff P

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 01:05:32 PM »
I'm 6'3", 185.  Normal proportions except for arms that are an inch or so too long  :dunno:   The GS is a great fit for me.

jeff

Offline SCROOGE

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 02:57:05 PM »
Quote from: Jeff P
I'm 6'3", 185.  Normal proportions except for arms that are an inch or so too long  :dunno:   The GS is a great fit for me.

jeff

Cool! Should hopefully fit me pretty well also...

Offline SCROOGE

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 03:09:37 PM »
Quote from: weaselnoze

#2 - you said "where would I go".  do it yourself! its simple enough

#3 - "is there any way a practically mechanically incompotent person such as myself..." seriously dont be afraid to try it yourself.  pretty much anything with this bike, aside from painting, is possible to do yourself or with some instruction.  everything from an oil change, to valve adjustments, to bulb replacement, to regular maintenence is made easy with the great people on this site.

:lol: When I was asking "where would I go", I meant what website -- I plan on doing all modifications/routine maintenance myself....I just want the easiest, least expensive method of doing the job.   :mrgreen:

Thanks for your imput!

Quote from: pantablo
Quote from: SCROOGE
as shown here:

same color because ALL US model 2001 gs500's were that color...no choice there. 2002 got the uber cool black.

that's my bike! uh, before I sold it.

As far as fit goes I've heard from people that were your height and the gs500 fit them best of the starter bikes they sat on. the tank shape on the ex500 didnt feel good to most lanky riders. You might feel a bit big for the bike but make due as a price to pay for a great learning experience. Imagine people your size starting on honda rebel 250's! talk about too big for the bike.

If you go the bar end mirror route I recommend the Napoleon mirrors. even though I didnt like them I found the bicycle mirrors (of which my bike had several types) didnt last long against the constant vibration of the bike. Try Third Eye mirrors for bikes, if you insist. these plug right into the end of the bar and take all of 2 minutes to install. Good visibility, abeit you have to look farther down than with stock location.

I suggest you hold off making any mods to the headlight. if you're going to be using it often at night you'll come to appreciate the light you get from stock, compared to some of those aftermarket ones. I made a cosmetic change to mine by adding the sv650 headlight (check out my site-http://pantablo500.tripod.com for more info).

The gs500 is not high on theives list (unlike my 600rr apparently). But you'll still want to give yourself the most protection you can. Do you park it outside at home or are you concerned with safety when you are at school, etc? If at home parked outside, you might as well leave the keys in it-cable can be cut in seconds. you need to lock it to an immovable object with a hefty chain. I had my 600rr parked in my carport and the only thing that kept theives from taking it a few weeks ago is www.bikebrace.com (which was featured in the latest issue of sport rider magazine). ulock and cable securing front wheel and cover cut clean. cover gone but bike was saved by brace.

congratulations on passing the MSF. wear good gear (helmet, jacket, boots, gloves as a minumum). wear it all the time when riding, even for a quick spin around the block.

congratulations also on your new bike purchase... :thumb:

Thanks man, I'm definitely going to do the bar end mirrors you suggested -- a 2 min install is right up my alley.  As for the headlight, I really want to lose the retro look -- but as you stated, I will be doing night driving (eventually) and the cheaper aftermarket lights could pose a visibility issue....Sorry to hear about the attempted hijack of your 600 -- I like that bikebrace idea, but my apartment complex is a first come first serve covered parking, so bolting it in would be out.  I will however be able to attach a chain lock to a steel pole.  Appreciate the assistance!