Author Topic: Gettin' the diamond mounted  (Read 6293 times)

Offline vtlion

• Please Make Fun of Me
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • World Superbike Racer
  • God Bless the Hokie Nation
Gettin' the diamond mounted
« on: March 25, 2005, 03:16:49 PM »
Well, I dropped off a family stone at the jewelers yesterday to get it mounted... yup... it looks like i'm about to take the plunge and pop the question.

I've been looking forward to it, but also dreading it because once I put that ring on her finger I officially relinquish any and all control with regards to the marriage.  She and her mom will be free to run wild (and they will)  ;)

So I have a month or two to plan this out... I've been thinking about doing the standard nice-restaurant proposal thing.  Anybody got any other suggestions?
2 C8H18 + 25 O2 = 16 CO2 + 18 H2O + :)
the bikeography is down for a bit
what IS a Hokie?

Offline ConanLloyd

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 03:39:53 PM »
If you do the restaraunt thing, try to let the waiter and/or manager know before hand.  I asked my wife to marry me on Valentines day 2001 at Bertucci's in Springfield.  I got there first and told the waiter what wass going to happen.  He made sure to keep the staff away when I was "doing my thing" and then the manager came up and asked people to join in a toast to us.  It really added to the ambiance.
Cheers,

Conan D. Lloyd
1992 GS500E with V&H Ignition Advancer, Stage 1 Rejet, F18 Windshield, Joe Rocket Sport Saddlebags, Corbin Gunfighter seat,
Joe Rocket Manta Tank Bag, Srinath Bars, Napoleon Bar-end Mirrors  and thanks to Srinath, no more character enhancing dents.

Offline ashman

• Bed Wetter
  • World Superbike Racer
  • PROUD member since September 16, 2003, 01:11:07 AM
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 04:41:01 PM »
ya yur family jewels are hers now.  :lol:  congrats on the upcoming proposal.

-ash
Proud owner of a Bandit 600S former owner of a 93 GS500E

Offline MstrsLilBrat

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 05:30:13 PM »
Congrats!!

Put a ring in the dessert cake?? Yeah Yeah of course, the ring will be messy... Or put a ring in the rose bouquet... I like some tricks besides just asking, "marry me?" I would like to think a moment..."why is the ring here??" And then... "WOW!!!!!!!!!!"
Thats me!

Does anyone give me a shiny stone????????????????
Waiting!! LOL
"Why ask why?  Why not just accept it, and enjoy it?"
"Think Big and Live Large" By. Donald J. Trump

**PLEASE WEAR PROPER GEAR**

Offline ConanLloyd

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 06:02:27 PM »
Whatever you do, do NOT place the ring in a beverage.  My best friend did that.  He put the ring in her wineglass.  She didn't notice and chipped her front tooth on it.

Also do NOT place in "in" anything.  If you want, have in placed ON a dessert and have the waiter bring it.
Cheers,

Conan D. Lloyd
1992 GS500E with V&H Ignition Advancer, Stage 1 Rejet, F18 Windshield, Joe Rocket Sport Saddlebags, Corbin Gunfighter seat,
Joe Rocket Manta Tank Bag, Srinath Bars, Napoleon Bar-end Mirrors  and thanks to Srinath, no more character enhancing dents.

Offline vtlion

• Please Make Fun of Me
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 07:32:11 PM »
Quote from: ConanLloyd
Whatever you do, do NOT place the ring in a beverage.  My best friend did that.  He put the ring in her wineglass.  She didn't notice and chipped her front tooth on it.

yikes!!!  :o  

this engagement stuff is more dangerous than I thought
what IS a Hokie?

Offline Dom

• Wears Pink and Red tights
  • World Supersport Racer
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 10:13:10 PM »
You should just go ahead and give her your credit card while you're at it.   :mrgreen:

Offline Blueknyt

• Wants a nicer title
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 01:08:50 AM »
justice of the peace dude, quick, simple,effective, legal,and cheap.

tux rental is only 100 for decent one and you can return it geting your deposit.

The dress however, thats scarey. seen them cost more then a car and they are only used ONCE? non returnable at that.  i asked my wife and still havent gotten a good,logical answer.

your wearing a dress for total of 2 hours that is very uncomfortable, easy to ruin,and your only gonna use once. why should i pay 1k or better for this?

her and most other wemen give me that blank look as i missed something ever so plain to see and repeat   "its her special day"  "isnt she worth it"

now mind you i got smacked when i said "ok, then she wont mind driving around a 200$  82 ford ltd wagon with bad paint,No AC, and one speaker"

i couldnt afford the wedding she wanted, not by a long shot. we never had a real wedding and for 7 years now, i keep getting beat with it. wheres my wedding.

i digress, good luck dude. hope evryting works out.

Dont take this the wrong way, this is prudent for anyone getting married. READ and UNDERSTAND all the marriage/devorce Laws of your state.
Accelerate like your being chased, Corner like you mean it, Brake as if you life depends on it.
Ride Hard...or go home.

Its you Vs the pavement.....who wins today?

Offline ConanLloyd

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 01:17:19 AM »
Blueknyt - your first mistake was using the words "good logic" and "wife" in the same sentence.  All me know those words have NOTHING in common  :lol:

(Ducks the thwap from the wife reading over my shoulder)
Cheers,

Conan D. Lloyd

Offline cummuterguy

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 02:37:31 AM »
Best to do the traditional way.On one knee, in public, ring in box, open it for her, ask, and when she says yes, place the ring on her finger and then kiss her. Hiding the ring in stuff is cute, but it's chickening out on really asking the question.

I think most women deep down like a few things to be traditional (weddings and the like especially)
2000 GS500E  progressive front springs/03Katana Rear shock, Emgo headlight fairing, Vance & Hines ignition advancer, K&N 'lunchbox' filter, DIY re-jet,  Srinath fork brace, Yoshimura exhaust, Bandit 400 hugger

Offline vtlion

• Please Make Fun of Me
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005, 08:36:26 PM »
i agree with the traditional approach myself.  I was thinking when we close on the house we will have family come to help us move.  We could take them out to dinner to say 'thanks' and I could do it then, with everyone there.

fortunately, I got a girl who oozes practicality.  She suggested suits instead of tuxes, and a barbecue instead of a reception.

um.. yeah... this one is a total keeper  :)
what IS a Hokie?

Offline Blueknyt

• Wants a nicer title
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 12:42:04 AM »
Traditional way? ok hit her in head knocking her out drag her back to your territory, tie her up with stips of cured skins so she doesnt escape, after awhile tie a small strip around her finger as  a reminder she belongs to you and that You provide he with food, shelter and protection from preditors. but she still gonna make you take the bones out to the edge of the cliff everynight.

Dude, be yourself, dont conform to Norms just cuz thats how its done. Do it in a way that is interconnected to that special something you both share.

the knee thing is nice, but really really over Done. how ever you do it have a 3rd person playing with his/her "New camera" to capture the moment.  

teach her to ride then buy her a bike and tie the ring to the Key and leave it in the ignition for her.  or print on paper will you marry me and tape it to the inside of her visor when she puts her helmet on.

just a thought ya know
Accelerate like your being chased, Corner like you mean it, Brake as if you life depends on it.
Ride Hard...or go home.

Its you Vs the pavement.....who wins today?

Offline jordanearl

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 01:43:45 AM »
I proposed to my wife with a fortune cookie.  we love to eat chinese food.  So it was a really neat thing for her. There are a ton of places on the net that sell personalized cookies.
Blake Jordan
04' Suzuki Z250
90' Suzuki GS 500
http://photobucket.com/albums/b143/jordanearl/

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • -Dum spiro spero (while i breathe, i hope)
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2005, 08:36:17 PM »
interesting thing about fortune cookies, the words "in bed" work on every one of them. :lol:  :mrgreen: , an idea here, do it doing something you two do together, then she wont suspect anything, or you could make the proposal here, and have her see it/read it, nah that was a dumb one, butim sure however you do it, it will be something to remember. but a girl with practicality?, where did you find her, does she have a sister? :o  :?  :)
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Offline vtlion

• Please Make Fun of Me
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 01:29:35 PM »
Ok, so if you are considering proposing to a girl who is close with her parents, be sure to do the ask-for-blessing thing.

I called them last night (they live 1000 miles away, so doing it in person wasn't possible) and told them my plans and asked for their "blessing" (not "permission"... that seemed a bit too out of step with the times for me).  

I swear I think they got giddier than she's going to be when I pop the question  :lol:
what IS a Hokie?

Offline octane

• $hit Eating Tampon Face
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • World Superbike Racer
    • http://www.octaneonline.com
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2005, 03:40:14 PM »
The asking the parents thing is always a nice touch! I did the one knee in a restaurant thing. I took her to the restaurant we had our first date in and sat at the same table. Went over pretty well! It was a weeknight, so the place wasn't very busy, but we got a standing ovation and cheer from the three other couples in the place! It was pretty funny. The restaurant gave us free appetizers and desserts to congratulate us too, which was pretty cool!

Good luck brother! Take pictures!

Offline Stephen072774

• Micro Phallus
  • World Superbike Racer
  • John misspelled MACRO
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 04:16:30 PM »
Yeah asking the parents takes 10 minutes and means so much to both parties...  My (now) father-in-law and I got a laugh out of it (mostly him at the time) I had to lure him and the mother-in-law out of the room with the gun safe before I told them.  It was pretty funny.  Thank goodness I have in-laws that treat me like their own son.

Marriage has been great to me, it seems like we're still newlyweds but its been almost 3 years.  One things for sure, you'll be so glad when the ceremony is behind you...

best of luck to you!
2005 DRZ400SM
2001 GS, sold to 3imo

Offline dgyver

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • woof woof
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 05:04:52 PM »
When I proposed, I had the ring tied to the collar of a stuffed animal. We had several rottweilers at the time and I found a small stuffed one. I did the one knee thing. Funny though, she did not even see the ring until I hinted at it.

hmmm.....maybe this is not a good idea since we are divorced now.
Common sense in not very common.

Offline octane

• $hit Eating Tampon Face
  • World Superbike Racer
    • http://www.octaneonline.com
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 06:01:24 PM »
...yeah, mine didn't notice the ring right away either. I got down on one knee and she said, "What are you doing? Get up!". How's that for encouragement!! Once she saw the ring and realized what was happening she started crying and said yes though!

And you will be relieved once the ceremony is over! We've been married 8 months now. It's a hell of an adjustment if you're used to living alone, but it's worth it...most of the time!

Offline Ry_Guy

• AMA Superbike Racer
  • I don't know what we're yelling about!
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 07:18:16 PM »
How do you know she's the one? I mean, the whole practical-girl thing helps a lot, but divorce rates in this country are sick. Just ask dgyver (my sympathies). I can't see myself getting married for a loooong time. I think it's pretty exciting though. I'd say try to think of a proposal that's original, something creative. But mesh a little tradition in as well. Good luck