News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Pingel my Petcock

Started by juno, April 29, 2005, 10:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juno

Can I put one of the those quick releases and a Pingel Petcock on my bike for street use?  Or is the increased fuel flow a negative for street?

I'm getting a new tank and wanted to streamline the connections as mentioned in the racer's corner article.
2002 GS500
With LIMITATOR!

dgyver

There is nothing wrong with using it on the street.
Common sense in not very common.

juno

Cool!  Thanks!

Hopefully they will know what will fit.  I couldn't find the model number Dave mentions on their website.

:cheers:
2002 GS500
With LIMITATOR!

Flash

Quote from: junoCool!  Thanks!

Hopefully they will know what will fit.  I couldn't find the model number Dave mentions on their website.

:cheers:
I couldn't find the model number either. I eventually e-mailed pingel for some help on finding the correct petcock w/ reserve to fit a 5/16" ID hose. Below is our corresponding e-mails back and forth:

Pingel said:
"YOU WILL NEED TO MEASURE THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE TWO LITTLE BOLTS THAT HOLD IT ON THE TANK, CENTER TO CENTER.  I THINK IT WILL EITHER BE 44MM OR 50MM.  ONCE WE KNOW THAT WE CAN GET YOU HOOKED UP WITH A ADAPTER PLATE AND A VALVE.  THE ADAPTER PLATE WILL BE $11.35, AND THE VALVE IN A ALUMINUM WILL BE $74.50."

Flash said:
"The distance between the two little bolts is 34mm. Someone on my website had mentioned they had purchased adapter plate A1602C 3/8" NPT 1.338 or 34mm. I assume this would work for me as well. What do you think?"

Pingel said:
"YES IF THAT IS THE MEASUREMENT THAT IS THE WRIGHT ADAPTER PLATE.  YOU CAN USE VALVE 6211-AH.  THOSE WOULD BE THE SAME PRICES I GAVE YOU PREVIOUSLY.  IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ORDER YOU CAN CALL 888-474-6435. THANKS, TROY"

I ended up getting Valve 6291-AH instead because the "nipple" points straight down instead of at a 90 degree angle on the 6211-AH. See the pics on their website if you don't follow what I mean:

www.pingelonline.com --> click Products --> click Fuel Valves --> click Power-Flo --> Hex Standard (for 6211-AH) or Hex 90 deg Down (for 6291-AH)

Here is a complete breakdown of the bill:
$74.50  Valve 3/8 NPT Hex (6291-AH)
$11.35  Adapter Plate 3/8 1.338/34mm (A1602C)
$20.90  Filter Polished 1 in 1 out (SS1P) <-- this was optional, of course
--------
  $5.64  Freight
--------
$112.74  Total

I installed it and it looks beautiful. I got rid of all the networked vacuum hoses and now I have a straight line to the carbs. Only problem is my bike was out of commission when I installed it and I still have not had a chance to try it out. I have to replace the valves, valves springs, piston rings, etc.

**Note** Whatever you do not thread the valve and adapter plate dry!! Trust me on this. Follow the directions, but the rep said to put FIVE wraps of the teflon tape before threading. I only used three wraps like the directions said, and it was still hard to screw on --> super tight fit (too much friction). I should have heeded his warning. Oh well, no harm no foul in the end.

Here are two pics:

"A bad day of riding is better than a good day at work."

'96 Mods: Bob B. ign. advancer, 40 pilot/125 main jets, 15T fr sprocket, fenderectomy, 1/2" fabr fork brace, Pingel petcock

juno

Thanks Flash, for all that info.

That will save me a lot of time! :cheers:
2002 GS500
With LIMITATOR!

goat

Thanks for the info, Flash. It saved me a bunch of time.

My only question is what size fuel hose are you using? I can find info about the stock hoses, but nothing about the hoses on a pingel petcock.

I think that the website says 5/16", but I can't really tell. Their website is horrible. If I knew of another company that sold these, I would consider buying from them just becuse Pingel's website is so bad and their online store is worse.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
      - Ben Franklin

Flash

Quote from: goatMy only question is what size fuel hose are you using? I can find info about the stock hoses, but nothing about the hoses on a pingel petcock.

I think that the website says 5/16", but I can't really tell....

If you click here and scroll to the bottom of the page you will see a link for "Part Number Information". This will direct you to another window which explains all their acronyms. Near the top it states "All Power-Flo valves come standard with 5/16 hose outlets". They are obviously referring to the inside diameter in inches.

I hope this helps. I agree their website isn't not user friendly in general, and especially to us GSers, but I don't think anyone can argue about the quality and dependability of their fuel valves.

"A bad day of riding is better than a good day at work."

'96 Mods: Bob B. ign. advancer, 40 pilot/125 main jets, 15T fr sprocket, fenderectomy, 1/2" fabr fork brace, Pingel petcock

juno

I'm going to order the same stuff today.

Thanks again  flash.  I am thinking of running stainless braided fuel line.  It would be 1/4 inch, right?  

I guess you can't swith to reserve while riding now, correct?  Have to pull off to make the switch?
2002 GS500
With LIMITATOR!

juno

Well crap.  I'm confused too.  I thought the 5/16 referred to the diameter of the outlet, and that 1/4 inch hose would fit tight. :dunno:
2002 GS500
With LIMITATOR!

juno

HELP.

:?

I am ordering the exact parts Flash outlined above, but am not sure whether I need a quick release or what size fuel lines.

I am sure that I have no idea what the hell I am talking about.  :thumb:
2002 GS500
With LIMITATOR!

modular

Digging up old thread for some clarification since I am experiencing fuel starvation. Once the Pingel pet chicken is installed the hose from the Pingel goes directly to the fuel feed to the carbs and totally by-passes the second pet chicken, as in it can be removed from the bike?

Big Rich

I wouldn't imagine it would be a problem at all. But be very aware - that Pingel can flood the carbs if you leave it on with the motor off.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

weedahoe

K&N Lunchbox
20/62.5/142.5
chromed pegs
R6 shock
89 aluminum knuckle
Lowering links
Bar mirrors w/LEDs
rear LED turns
89 clip ons
Dual Yoshi TRS
Gauge/Indicator LEDs
T- Rex sliders
HID retrofit
GSXR rear sets
Zero Gravity screen
Chrome Katana rims
Bandit hugger
Custom paint
Sonic springs

adidasguy

If you have fuel starvation, why not find out what is wrong and fix it? Maybe you need a new frame petcock. maybe your fuel vent hole is plugged up. Maybe you have a vacuum leak  to the petcock.

Fuel works on a GS500. I ride twisties with liter bikes at 70-90mphg and zero fuel problems. Then my petcock and everything is in good shape.

I fail to understand "I have a problem so I'll rip it all out and replace with something else" rather than "I have a problem so I will fix the problem with the correct parts."

Fuel petcocks can go bad - so get a new one. If your fork seals go bad (which happens more often) don't you replace them rather than weld your forks so you don't need seals? Why do people have a totally different train of thought regarding the fuel petcock compared to every other part on your bike that wears out??

modular

Quote from: weedahoe on October 07, 2012, 07:51:26 PM
Really old thread here

Ya, I know. That's why I stated "digging and old thread up".

It is a well documented fact that the vacuum petcock has sustained high speed fuel starvation. This happened during a track day and only happens over 90mph. All lines on the bike are new and clamped.

I was just trying to verify that once you install the Pingel if you remove or leave the frame mounted petcock.

Dizzledan

Quote from: modular on October 08, 2012, 01:09:54 AM
It is a well documented fact that the vacuum petcock has sustained high speed fuel starvation. This happened during a track day and only happens over 90mph. All lines on the bike are new and clamped.
I was just trying to verify that once you install the Pingel if you remove or leave the frame mounted petcock.

The fuel starvation at high speeds (or high winds) is usually due to how the carb drain hose is routed. Put it in a location where it isn't susceptible to crosswinds and it should improve the situation. If you decide to use the pingel, you CAN route it straight into the carbs, but realize that if your floats were to get stuck open, your crankcase would flood with gas, ruining your oil, and killing your engine if you don't know about it on trackday.

There was a mod for a vacuumless petcock from a Honda dirtbike (crf 125?), basically you keep the tank petcock, use this new frame petcock, and lose the vacuum hose. It goes 'on' 'reserve' and 'off.'

modular

Rep for you Dan. I will look at this tonight and also see if I can find info on the CRF125 petcock. Flooding the engine is not something I look forward to.

adidasguy

Quote from: modular on October 08, 2012, 01:09:54 AM

Well documented === a couple very vocal people with some fuel problem who don't want to fix it the tight way.

If you feel the vacuum petcock doesn't work - put it in PRIME. That bypasses the vacuum. If you still have issues - it is not the petcock. Could be the in-tank screen filter, clogged fuel lines or something else. Could be the tank fuel cap vent (yes, there is one!).

If the problem goes away in PRIME, then either you need a new frame petcock or you have a vacuum problem.

If the problem goes away with the fuel cap not locked down, then it is the fuel cap vent hole (it is very tiny and easy to get clogged)

Also can be the vent hose. I've seen bikes with the vent hose missing.

The "documented" are a few with a problem and once it is on the internet, it is the truth and EVERYBODY has that problem.  :cookoo:

modular

Upon removing the tank to get the carbs out I noticed that the carb vent hose open end was facing the front of the bike which I would imagine could cause turbulence.

This bike only has 4400 miles on it and everything is in very good shape and clean as heck. Even the bottom of the tank and inside the carbs are spotless.

Now, I did notice that the hose coming out of the bottom of the tank was kinked and only about a foot long.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk